Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2014, 06:09 PM

352 posts, read 570,227 times

Advertisements

Are these cities boring places??? Drum roll please...

TOP TEN LIST: Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

FULL LIST: http://s3.amazonaws.com/movotoblog/2...ies/table.html

Courtesy of Movoto: Laura Allan

Last edited by Yac; 08-19-2020 at 01:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2014, 08:08 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,814,932 times
North Las Vegas and Henderson (and all parts of Las Vegas outside of the strip): Yes
Inland Empire: Yes
Phoenix and its suburbs: Yes
Tucson: Yes

But I'm not surprised Las Vegas and the Phoenix metro areas where high up on the list... both are identical with chain restaurants, cookie cutter homes, and sprawl. LV has the strip but the strip is expensive over time and would surely get old after a while... and Phoenix has Mill Ave and Old Town, which are bad options considering what exists in other cities.

What bugs me is that Mesa is higher than Tucson and Gilbert. Mesa is home to a lot of underground concerts and venues where a lot of local bands play, and a lot of raves happen there too. Also a few good bars out there.

Last edited by JMT; 06-08-2014 at 10:00 PM.. Reason: This thread is not about population density.

Old 06-08-2014, 08:32 PM

2,233 posts, read 3,165,457 times
There are no boring places.

Old 06-08-2014, 10:35 PM

5,521 posts, read 8,769,797 times
Interesting that almost all of these "boring" cities are in Sunbelt territory. Toledo and Lousville are not, but the two Jersey cities are close to New York. So that's like 98% of boring places are Sunbelt places. It must be the heat! I knew there was a reason I loved New York, Chicago and San Francisco!

Old 06-09-2014, 12:21 AM

6,311 posts, read 6,814,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
Interesting that almost all of these "boring" cities are in Sunbelt territory. Toledo and Lousville are not, but the two Jersey cities are close to New York. So that's like 98% of boring places are Sunbelt places. It must be the heat! I knew there was a reason I loved New York, Chicago and San Francisco!
Out of the 50 most boring US cities:
-20 are in the Southwest (North Las Vegas, San Bernardino, Mesa, Colorado Springs, Henderson, Fresno, Stockton, Glendale, Riverside, Aurora, Phoenix, Santa Ana, Chandler, Chula Vista, Albuquerque, Bakersfield, Tucson, Anaheim, and Long Beach).
- 24 are in the South (Lubbock, Chesapeake, Irving, Plano, Laredo, Arlington, Hialeah, Garland, Jacksonville, Corpus Christi, Tulsa, Memphis, San Antonio, El Paso, Lexington, Durham, Norfolk, Dallas, Louisville, Winston-Salem, Baton Rouge, Greensboro, Oklahoma City, and Fort Worth).
- 4 are in the Midwest (Fort Wayne, Wichita, Toledo, and Lincoln).
- 2 are in the Northeast (Newark and Jersey City).
- 1 is in the Northwest (Anchorage). I put Anchorage here because I decided to split the West.

I would agree that climate plays a role.

It's not fun to walk around outside in 108 degree weather. Who would want to? We have a technology that allows us to bypass that (Arizonans worship the almighty A/C) and cars with the almighty A/C to help us travel to other places with the almighty A/C. We do then experience one month of the year where it's these temperatures with around 60% humidity (I actually really like this month, but most don't). Then the weather seems to hover in the 90s for a while, and then it is suddenly in the 70s-80s again. Most of our days experience no clouds and the lack of plants provide no shade (or tall buildings, refer to the car), making walking feel like a chore...

In the South I feel like it is much more tolerant to walk around than the Southwest, despite all the humidity and what not. Still, in the South it is not fun to walk around. I only enjoyed that in New Orleans and Miami, and there's very good reasons why they are not on here.

But still. Those in the Sunbelt are only using the technology given to us. Praise engineers and inventors!

I think more Northerners prefer urban lifestyles than those in the Sunbelt. I bet snow shoveling is quite a task (I wouldn't want to do it either) or deal with snow tires and driving in it and other stuff. In the Sunbelt where you don't have to deal with all this snow in most places, where your house can pretty much exist and won't prevent you from leaving or entering, why not? In most of the Sunbelt, houses require less maintenance, gas tends to be cheaper in the Sunbelt, cars have that A/C thing... why not?

As someone who actually would prefer to live more urban, it's quite more expensive to do than live a suburban lifestyle here in Arizona (lack of apartments and so forth, and you'd still need a car because our public transit sucks). I think in Northern cities where there is a higher selection of denser neighborhoods and apartments, it could end up being cheaper than living in the suburbs. Obviously, this would depend on the place.

Three of the criteria (population density, active life and fast food) directly depend on sprawl. I bet fast food restaurants make most of their profits on the drive-thru, and it's hard to have an active life when you feel like you're melting (and the indoors can only do so much, and when there's no where to walk to because it's probably at least a mile away and it's 108). Nightlife indirectly depends on it, because taxis are expensive and no one wants to be a DD, but when the bars are all sprawled out...

Old 06-09-2014, 09:18 AM

1,312 posts, read 2,169,479 times
Very surprised that Wichita didn't make it up to the top 10 (at least). This is yet another "unproveable" list, but I was surprised at how much I agreed with the top 20 or so from my own experiences.

Old 06-09-2014, 09:30 AM

2,811 posts, read 5,625,817 times
I can vouch for Lincoln, Nebraska- I lived there for 12 years, it is depressingly boring. Small enough city that there was never much going on, and not close enough to any major city to be able to get away for some real excitement- and on top of that it is VERY far from any place with any natural scenery, so there is nowhere to get away for a scenic trip.

Old 06-10-2014, 06:32 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,910,956 times
Most bogus list I've ever seen. Durham NC is boring? Perhaps if one hates a top-tier restaurant/food scene, the arts, a diverse slate of concerts/performances, outdoor recreation and great shopping to name a few things.

Old 06-10-2014, 07:38 AM

1,280 posts, read 1,858,000 times
Memphis may be a lot of things. Boring is not one of them!

Old 06-10-2014, 09:20 AM

8,980 posts, read 17,288,229 times
Movoto is out of control with their dumb lists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.