U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 10:13 AM

22,331 posts, read 32,171,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Really? I didn't know.
Tri-state area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yes similar to NY many references for ads use it (Though Delaware Valley may be a little more common for Philly than tri-state)

Actually in many parts of NJ you get both (NYC (NY-NJ-CT) and Philly (PA-NJ-DE)) radio stations and hear tri-state in reference to two separate metros simultaneously
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2014, 01:23 PM

5,805 posts, read 8,568,518 times
NYC will have to change to Quad-State since a large part of Eastern PA are now bedroom communities for NYC.

Pittsburgh/WPA as well sometimes is called the Three Rivers Region.

Old 06-12-2014, 01:28 PM

1,704 posts, read 2,764,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minneapolisville View Post
Minneapolis-Saint Paul-Bloomington, MN-WI; Twin Cities

Davenport-Moline-I'm Sure Some Other Cities Go Here, IA-IL; Quad Cities

If any other Midwestern cities want to follow a theme here, the Tri Cities title is still widely available. Midland, Bay City and Saginaw, I'm looking at you guys.
Don't forget Twin Ports (Duluth-Superior).

Old 06-12-2014, 03:06 PM

76 posts, read 108,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
That's ok. I think some of the names are kinda dumb. "DMV," "Hampton Roads," "triangle/tripod/triad," etc. might be appreciated by locals, but I'm sure most outsiders will say "why don't you just tell me the metro/city you're talking about?"
haha I definitely agree, I was just messing around. Most of these names are pretty useless outside of their area, but it's still interesting to see what terms are used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
True, although, people refer to the area west of I-95 as "Metrowest." Right?
That is true. There's also the North Shore and South Shore and some towns that don't fit in any of those, but all of it together is just Greater Boston.

Old 06-12-2014, 03:10 PM

12,698 posts, read 10,514,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
NYC will have to change to Quad-State since a large part of Eastern PA are now bedroom communities for NYC.

Not going to happen, it's already too engrained and "tri state" sounds much better than "quad state." Most people either don't know that some of PA is now part of the NYC MSA (because they hear so much about the "tri state" - NY, NJ, and CT... it's on many area TV and radio commercials) or they don't care..

Old 06-12-2014, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post

The NYC and Philly MSAs both contain 4 states actually (NYC with a PA county and Philly with a MD county)

Old 06-12-2014, 03:17 PM

12,698 posts, read 10,514,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
The NYC and Philly MSAs both contain 4 states actually (NYC with a PA county and Philly with a MD county)
Personally I think the one county in another state for both is irrelevant as far as naming goes. For example, PA is a big state. Are we really going to start saying Quad State because one county in PA is part of the NYC MSA, while half of NJ, most of lower New York, and the western portion of CT (a small state) is part of the MSA?

Old 06-12-2014, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Personally I think the one county in another state for both is irrelevant as far as naming goes. For example, PA is a big state. Are we really going to start saying Quad State because one county in PA is part of the NYC MSA, while half of NJ, most of lower New York, and the western portion of CT (a small state) is part of the MSA?
agree - for the NYC region clearly North Jersey, Western CT and SE NY/LI are the region with the strongest ties

For Philly Cecil county MD is probably not even known to 90% of people in the Metro - Trenton and Mercer county NJ (now part of NYC by census have a way greater connection and affiliation (actually Mercer county generally associates itself as part of the Delaware Valley as do parts of Hunterdon County NJ like Flemington NJ) ten fold compared to Cecil county - Census lines can be sort of silly at times in many ways

The Philly metro is SE PA, South Jersey, and Northern DE

will say growing up in Philly and alway hearing the tri-state reference for Philly area I was caught off gaurd when i first expereinced it with NYC but both are used locally and in that locale people know what they mean and it isnt the PA county for NY or MD county for Philly

Old 06-12-2014, 04:22 PM

11,145 posts, read 14,129,269 times
People are seriously still posting in this thread? Wow.

Old 06-12-2014, 07:40 PM

11,810 posts, read 18,810,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamtonfordbury View Post
Raleigh, NC + Durham–Chapel Hill, NC = "Research Triangle"
Actually, it's locally just "The Triangle". Nobody really uses "Research Triangle" in casual conversation unless they are referring to the actual Research Triangle Park but, then again, even that is shorted to either RTP or "The Park".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.