Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 12:46 PM

2,682 posts, read 4,480,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Is there anything else that you are looking for in an area?
Well eventually we will need good schools, but I made the stipulation that we're looking for a good area/community which I think translates into relatively good schools. I'm not asking for a top 10 ranked high school in the nation, just somewhere where my kids can get a quality education.

I've moved around so much in my life, that I can make anywhere home. I don't need a restaurant scene, or an arts scene etc. I'm sure many places have plenty to do. I like to be outdoors, but I don't need to be at the beach or climbing up a mountain - a city park would do. I'm flexible, I just need to be out of the heat and not cringe every time I send out my rent/mortgage payment. I would prefer that my car didn't get broken into . Other than that, that's about it.

I lived in SW CT for 10 years and it was nice, but so expensive! Now living in Florida, I see what a decent salary (measly by SW CT standards) can afford you in a reasonable cost of living area. I would like to move back to the NY/CT/NJ area, but it just does not make any financial sense and I don't see my salary increasing nearly enough to cover the difference. Plus who needs all that traffic. I'm looking for a balance, not the extremes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2014, 01:23 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,307,609 times
[quote=katestar;35191673]Well eventually we will need good schools, but I made the stipulation that we're looking for a good area/community which I think translates into relatively good schools. I'm not asking for a top 10 ranked high school in the nation, just somewhere where my kids can get a quality education.

I've moved around so much in my life, that I can make anywhere home. I don't need a restaurant scene, or an arts scene etc. I'm sure many places have plenty to do. I like to be outdoors, but I don't need to be at the beach or climbing up a mountain - a city park would do. I'm flexible, I just need to be out of the heat and not cringe every time I send out my rent/mortgage payment. I would prefer that my car didn't get broken into . Other than that, that's about it.

I lived in SW CT for 10 years and it was nice, but so expensive! Now living in Florida, I see what a decent salary (measly by SW CT standards) can afford you in a reasonable cost of living area. I would like to move back to the NY/CT/NJ area, but it just does not make any financial sense and I don't see my salary increasing nearly enough to cover the difference. Plus who needs all that traffic. I'm looking for a balance, not the extremes.[/QUOTE

Which is why Pennsylvania would be worth looking into. It is really a beautiful state with something for everyone, and it is also a matter of a few hours to the NYC/CT/NJ area, which is about as close as you're going to get and have it still be affordable.

Some of the people here have suggested the Carolinas, but honestly, if you are looking for a more liberal area, you probably would not be happy somewhere like Winston-Salem, NC (Big Tobacco capital of America), or Greenville, SC (very, very conservative, home to Bob Jones University, arguably the most conservative university in America).

Old 06-11-2014, 01:46 PM

[/quote] Which is why Pennsylvania would be worth looking into. It is really a beautiful state with something for everyone, and it is also a matter of a few hours to the NYC/CT/NJ area, which is about as close as you're going to get and have it still be affordable.

Some of the people here have suggested the Carolinas, but honestly, if you are looking for a more liberal area, you probably would not be happy somewhere like Winston-Salem, NC (Big Tobacco capital of America), or Greenville, SC (very, very conservative, home to Bob Jones University, arguably the most conservative university in America).[/quote]

Yes, I forgot to mention that. I would not like a highly conservative area at all. That's why I've never considered the Carolinas to be a good spot for us.

Old 06-11-2014, 02:05 PM

93,292 posts, read 123,898,066 times
I dare suggest an area like the Albany-Schenectady-Troy area of NY, as it gets less snow than other Upstate NY metros(is a bit more expensive, but still reasonable), is close enough to the Tri-State area, has plenty of outdoor amenities/offerings, good schools, is a generally safe metro and is growing steadily. I'd say that school districts such as: North Colonie, Guilderland, South Colonie, Bethlehem, East Greenbush, Averill Park, Niskayuna and Burnt Hills-Ballston Lake, among others would work. For something more walkable, Saratoga Springs would be a very good choice and they also have very good schools. Glens Falls, about an hour north, might be a good fit as well and Delmar in the Bethlehem SD is decent.

Another NY area that would work, if you want something more liberal is the Ithaca. All of the area school districts are solid/good including Ithaca City Schools and it generally fits the criteria.

I would offer more information about other Upstate NY areas, as the further west you go the more affordable(give or take), but I don't know if distance and snow would be an issue.

Old 06-13-2014, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I dare suggest an area like the Albany-Schenectady-Troy area of NY, as it gets less snow than other Upstate NY metros(is a bit more expensive, but still reasonable), is close enough to the Tri-State area, has plenty of outdoor amenities/offerings, good schools, is a generally safe metro and is growing steadily. I'd say that school districts such as: North Colonie, Guilderland, South Colonie, Bethlehem, East Greenbush, Averill Park, Niskayuna and Burnt Hills-Ballston Lake, among others would work. For something more walkable, Saratoga Springs would be a very good choice and they also have very good schools. Glens Falls, about an hour north, might be a good fit as well and Delmar in the Bethlehem SD is decent.

Another NY area that would work, if you want something more liberal is the Ithaca. All of the area school districts are solid/good including Ithaca City Schools and it generally fits the criteria.

I would offer more information about other Upstate NY areas, as the further west you go the more affordable(give or take), but I don't know if distance and snow would be an issue.
Thanks! I'm familiar with upstate NY a bit. I went to school in Montreal so I used to drive through a lot. I would consider it, but my concern is jobs. I would like to be in a more populated area so that there are more job choices. I may be able to find a job, but say I get laid off, will I be able to find another one.

Old 06-13-2014, 06:51 AM

93,292 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katestar View Post
Thanks! I'm familiar with upstate NY a bit. I went to school in Montreal so I used to drive through a lot. I would consider it, but my concern is jobs. I would like to be in a more populated area so that there are more job choices. I may be able to find a job, but say I get laid off, will I be able to find another one.
Well, it is a growing area and it may depend on the jobs you are looking or can do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.