Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 07:12 AM

2,682 posts, read 4,479,065 times

Advertisements

Currently live in Orlando. It is cheap to live here (relatively speaking I suppose since I come from SW Connecticut). However, after 4 years and now just starting our 5th summer here, I'm sick of the heat. It's been hot here all year! We just had a baby and want to do things outside with her, but it's too d*mn hot!

I am pretty sure I can find a job in any mid to large city. I have two stipulations: (1) manageable weather - it can be hot a few months of the year - but the other months be comfortable and I don't mind a winter. (2) to cost of living has to be reasonable - I lived in SW Connecticut for about 10 years and I don't want to do that again. It comes down to housing. In all of the places that I've compared Orlando to, the housing is what's driving up the cost of living. I'm thinking a place where we can buy or rent a 3 bedroom house or more for $1500 payment.

Any ideas? My brother lives in Denver and we are going to do a trip there next year to look around. I would prefer however to stay on the East coast. I like most things about Florida, but the heat is killing me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2014, 07:30 AM

93,164 posts, read 123,754,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katestar View Post
Currently live in Orlando. It is cheap to live here (relatively speaking I suppose since I come from SW Connecticut). However, after 4 years and now just starting our 5th summer here, I'm sick of the heat. It's been hot here all year! We just had a baby and want to do things outside with her, but it's too d*mn hot!

I am pretty sure I can find a job in any mid to large city. I have two stipulations: (1) manageable weather - it can be hot a few months of the year - but the other months be comfortable and I don't mind a winter. (2) to cost of living has to be reasonable - I lived in SW Connecticut for about 10 years and I don't want to do that again. It comes down to housing. In all of the places that I've compared Orlando to, the housing is what's driving up the cost of living. I'm thinking a place where we can buy or rent a 3 bedroom house or more for $1500 payment.

Any ideas? My brother lives in Denver and we are going to do a trip there next year to look around. I would prefer however to stay on the East coast. I like most things about Florida, but the heat is killing me.
Look into the Interior Northeast(most of PA, Upstate NY, Western MA) or perhaps something in NC or VA. Perhaps even the Eastern Panhandle of WV and Western MD.

Old 06-11-2014, 07:38 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,303,613 times
An often overlooked area that is really pretty and has a fairly reasonable COL is south central PA, like around Harrisburg/Hershey/Lancaster area. It is gorgeous there in the summer, the winters aren't bad, and it's close enough for day trips to places like Baltimore and Washington, D.C.

Old 06-11-2014, 10:16 AM

27,163 posts, read 43,847,941 times
Quote:

Hi Kate, I feel your pain as a fellow Orlando area resident. As someone who has been scoping out a move out for awhile, I would recommend the Greenville/Spartanburg area of South Carolina or Greensboro/Winston Salem in North Carolina. Both are really nice family-friendly areas with a low cost of living. Both will have some hot days in summer but certainly not anything as horrendous here generally and certainly not for 7 months of the year (more like around two).

Old 06-11-2014, 10:22 AM

Thanks Kyle. Do you know if the areas in the Carolinas you're referring to are rather progressive? I'm concerned about North/South Carolina with being too Republican, conservative, religious etc.

Old 06-11-2014, 10:25 AM

3,412 posts, read 5,120,782 times
Quote:

Come to Cleveland, sounds perfect for you. Very manageable housing costs, lots of things to do, close to the East Coast, great moderate summers falls and springs, cold snowy winters, nice people who are very welcoming to outsiders.

Old 06-11-2014, 10:33 AM

5,516 posts, read 8,761,327 times
Quote:
T Do you know if the areas in the Carolinas you're referring to are rather progressive? I'm concerned about North/South Carolina with being too Republican, conservative, religious etc.
NC in general is like a lot of southern states in that the cities and university areas typically vote blue and are more liberal, while many suburbs and rural areas are generally pretty red and socially conservative. NC is a very purple state these days. I'd second taking a look at Winston-Salem, which I think would be a nice place to raise a family, has a decent amount of culture and amenities for its size, relatively low COL and relatively high QOL, and the advantage of being halfway between the mountains and the coast, each a few hour's drive away, and even quicker to Raleigh-Durham and Charlotte (for airports).

Old 06-11-2014, 11:40 AM

542 posts, read 1,682,383 times
Everybody is moving to Seattle. Perhaps consider moving there.

Old 06-11-2014, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_show View Post
Everybody is moving to Seattle. Perhaps consider moving there.
Because min wage is $15/hr now?? lol

Old 06-11-2014, 12:12 PM

93,164 posts, read 123,754,884 times
Is there anything else that you are looking for in an area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.