U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 02:34 PM

5,904 posts, read 6,542,365 times

Advertisements

Does such a major city exist anywhere in the United States….or not:

1. it has to be the largest city in its state with the largest metropolitan area

2. the entire state is within its urban pull: in other words, there can't be any other city (in state or outside) that any part of the state reaches out to. (thus a city like Chicago would be eliminated since part of IL is drawn to StL)

3. the rest of the state has to actually like the city, considers it its own city, cheers for its sports teams, etc., virtually seeing itself as a hinterland.

4. the city/metro area must dominate the politics of the state
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2014, 02:55 PM

76 posts, read 108,478 times
number 3 makes it tough. Almost every 'hinterland' area has some degree of animosity towards the big city.

Boston comes close. Western Mass likes to complain about Boston dominating the state politically, but they still generally like Boston sports teams and go to Boston as the nearest big city. The Pioneer Valley is pretty independent and Springfield is pretty connected to Hartford, but that is more of a relationship of equals. When looking to a larger city, I think Boston beats out NYC. Most people I know from the Springfield area come to Boston if they want something that only big cities offer.

However, the Berkshires are something of a border region with NYC. Although most residents like Boston teams, NYC is just as close and they are as likely, if not more likely, to view NYC as the big city. Plus, a ton of New Yorkers go to the Berkshires for vacation.

Some other considerations:

Twin Cities?
SLC? Is SW Utah more in Las Vegas' orbit?
Atlanta?
Providence?

I still say liking the city makes it tough.

Old 06-12-2014, 03:22 PM

4,268 posts, read 6,351,433 times
I would say Atlanta, but there are plenty of people in Georgia that consider Atllanta a foreign country.
I might also say Denver, but I don't know how people outside Denver feel about that city. The same for Minneapolis.

Old 06-12-2014, 03:31 PM

1,350 posts, read 1,883,734 times
Outside of #3, this basically describes Seattle.

The population distribution is such that it becomes mathematically difficult - if not impossible - for a statewide voter referendum to pass if Seattle is not on board. That influences how things are done in Washington: most things are done in the state legislature, where every county has equal representation.

Even the fight against the $15/hr referendum is influenced by this mathematical fact: opponents are not hopeful that a statewide vote will pass because the referendum polls VERY strongly in Seattle (and some other nearby cities stand to benefit from the referendum passing). Hence the federal lawsuit that was filed, despite the fact that it is unlikely that the courts will intervene.

Old 06-12-2014, 04:55 PM

3,961 posts, read 3,495,663 times
I think there will always be that love/hate relationship between the major theme city in a state and the outstate residents. Even then those residents still tend to root for the instate teams no matter how much resentment. It's hard to say because you can make arguements for and against "key holders".

Old 06-12-2014, 04:58 PM

2,438 posts, read 4,226,586 times
I think Portland fits better than Seattle - eastern Washington has Spokane, and there's no comparable city in eastern Oregon. I think there are some towns on the Idaho border that have ties to Boise but I don't know that area well.

Old 06-12-2014, 05:11 PM

5,904 posts, read 6,542,365 times
I'd have to say Boston is by far the best example.

2 not mentioned: Honolulu, SLC

Old 06-12-2014, 05:25 PM

15,470 posts, read 25,425,564 times
Honolulu.

Old 06-12-2014, 06:14 PM

1,704 posts, read 2,764,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amaiunmei View Post
Outside of #3, this basically describes Seattle.

The population distribution is such that it becomes mathematically difficult - if not impossible - for a statewide voter referendum to pass if Seattle is not on board. That influences how things are done in Washington: most things are done in the state legislature, where every county has equal representation.

Even the fight against the $15/hr referendum is influenced by this mathematical fact: opponents are not hopeful that a statewide vote will pass because the referendum polls VERY strongly in Seattle (and some other nearby cities stand to benefit from the referendum passing). Hence the federal lawsuit that was filed, despite the fact that it is unlikely that the courts will intervene.
But what about Vancouver and all the other Washington components of Portland's MSA?

Twin Cities wouldn't work because of Duluth, otherwise it's a good fit.

Maybe Providence? I feel like the state would need to be very small for it to work.

Old 06-12-2014, 06:53 PM

322 posts, read 469,621 times
For Atlanta I would say maybe. It definitely gets most of the attention, and it's by far the largest city and metro area in the state, but there are other metro areas that have pulls as well. It would really depend on what area of the state you were in. There is Augusta, which in basically on the GA/SC border, and it has a pull from East Georgia to West South Carolina, which is pretty significant amount of people, but not near Atlanta's reach. The is also to a lesser extent, Savannah. Most people usually come to Atlanta for jobs or entertainment from all around the state. Most people in Georgia wouldn't consider Atlanta as their own city and a majority of the rural areas of the state don't like Atlanta much. The most popular sports team isn't in the metro, but Atlanta definitely dominates politics in the state, has the most people, and gets most of the attention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or