U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 02:09 PM

1,314 posts, read 1,738,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDS30 View Post
People in the South just don't go to church in the morning, usually it is until 2 or 3 in the afternoon, that's how my church works, 8:30 to 1:00 p.m
Here, Lutherans moan for weeks about having to go to a Catholic wedding/funeral, because they last an hour+. Just a different world...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2014, 03:49 PM

44 posts, read 57,818 times
I've only lived in one other place and that was springfield, il for school. I love springfield, but the people there didn't seem really friendly or welcoming. So yes, it may be the friendliness of the people make the town resonate more with you. Because as much as I loved springfield, it wasn't because of the people

Old 06-13-2014, 07:09 PM

747 posts, read 1,813,217 times
Are Midwestern churchgoers more sincere about their religious faith? Because that would make a difference to me.

Where I'm from, it seems like smoke and mirrors. People like to spout off about what good Christians they are, but when push comes to shove-the girls I know of who are sitting in the pews on Sunday were clubbing and bar-hopping the other two nights before, like it was going out of style.

Old 06-13-2014, 08:46 PM

4,347 posts, read 7,426,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CowsAndBeer View Post
Different kind of "churchy," though, not the same as the Bible Belt AT ALL. People go to their Catholic/Lutheran church and get drunk watching the Packers afterward. You may have lived here your whole life, but I'm not sure you have much experience with the South - we're talking a whole different world.
Well, I live in SE Michigan and grew up in NW Ohio, which I consider to be the Upper Midwest, but it really isn't like that here.

I think that WI is much more Lutheran overall than Michigan or Ohio, because while we have a lot of people of German descent here, I don't think the proportion is nearly as high as in states like WI and MN. There are a lot of Methodists here, and actually quite a few Baptists. We also have many, many of those huge, nondenominational mega churches, and they seem to be thriving and growing more and more.

The Roman Catholics here seem to be mostly in the larger cities where people of eastern European descent settled; Polish, Hungarian, etc. There may be a small parish in some of the smaller towns, but they are outnumbered by Protestants by quite a large margin in the rural areas and small towns.

In the small farming community where I grew up, most people have a church affiliation and conservative Republicans outnumber Democrats at least 2:1.

And you're right, I haven't had much experience with the South, having never lived there and having no immediate family who live there, but there are a lot of Southern transplants in my area and they are very, very religious and attend Southern Baptist and Independent Baptist churches, of which there are a surprising number here.

Old 06-13-2014, 09:06 PM

190 posts, read 228,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoky_topaz View Post
Are Midwestern churchgoers more sincere about their religious faith? Because that would make a difference to me.

Where I'm from, it seems like smoke and mirrors. People like to spout off about what good Christians they are, but when push comes to shove-the girls I know of who are sitting in the pews on Sunday were clubbing and bar-hopping the other two nights before, like it was going out of style.
Good fellowship just depends on where and how you look for it. Not a regional difference in my opinion. I really think (almost) no matter where you go, you can find like-minded people. There are both 'sincere' and 'insincere' churches/groups all throughout this country. Being in a highly religious community doesn't necessarily mean there are more 'sincere', 'genuine' or 'true' Christians - in my experience.

Old 06-13-2014, 09:23 PM

190 posts, read 228,822 times
I did find the people in the Midwest to be incredibly warm and welcoming though. Contrary to what has been said here, I did not meet a single person from the South my entire time there. In fact, in many of the "rust belt" cities, they have been losing population and the younger generation has been leaving in droves. That made it feel very close-knit yet inviting at the same time. Which is a big difference from many areas in the South which see huge numbers of transplants.

I also found the accents to be very harsh. Which I know will sound kinda of crazy coming from a Southerner. But I felt like I was stuck on the set of Fargo... and not in a good way. But years later I find it endearing and think that on women especially the nasally, Ohio accent is cute.

Last edited by behan; 06-13-2014 at 09:58 PM..

Old 06-15-2014, 11:08 PM

747 posts, read 1,813,217 times
Wonder if the people there say "yah?" after ever sentence? I've seen Fargo and that Upper Peninsula accent is unlike any I have ever heard! Do they exclaim "Uff da!" like I have heard? (A Norwegian-American's way of saying "Oh,my!")

Older Southern ladies sound pleasant when they speak. I like the "drawl" and can see why others like it as well. Classy Southern ladies speak this way.But the younger girls's accents just make me bust out laughing at times! To think that the phrase "my man" has three syllables ! LMAO! That crazy twang some 20-year-olds use, you can cut it with a knife.

Prairie Home Companion anyone?

Last edited by smoky_topaz; 06-15-2014 at 11:15 PM.. Reason: want to add something
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or