U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 10:23 PM

747 posts, read 1,814,264 times

Advertisements

That thread title says it all. If you live in a region that you enjoy, the "vibes" feel right, the culture more your speed-does it have anything to do with how people respond to you personally? Some people still think about "southern hospitality"-and to me that sounds like something out of the '40s! Southerners (to me, anyway) do not seem as friendly as they are made out to be. They may "seem" friendly to your face, but sometimes it sounds like a fake or forced type of friendliness. Then they cut you up to their friends right behind your back. I know some Southerners like to badmouth the North-they see them as brusque, rude, assertive, etc. The way I see it, nobody's right or wrong here. One man's meat is another man's poison. I personally think I would prefer the Midwestern region to the Northeast, because the culture sounds more to my liking-farming, nature ,agriculture, European nationality melting pot, good cuisine. not as much "churchiness" or pretension as the Bible Belt South, and not as fast-paced or assertive as the Northeast.

So who has run into this? Did you classify a region or state as "unfriendly" or "hostile" because come to think of it, you felt out of sync or you didn't fit in well with that area? Do the two matter?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2014, 11:12 PM

56,705 posts, read 81,017,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoky_topaz View Post
That thread title says it all. If you live in a region that you enjoy, the "vibes" feel right, the culture more your speed-does it have anything to do with how people respond to you personally? Some people still think about "southern hospitality"-and to me that sounds like something out of the '40s! Southerners (to me, anyway) do not seem as friendly as they are made out to be. They may "seem" friendly to your face, but sometimes it sounds like a fake or forced type of friendliness. Then they cut you up to their friends right behind your back. I know some Southerners like to badmouth the North-they see them as brusque, rude, assertive, etc. The way I see it, nobody's right or wrong here. One man's meat is another man's poison. I personally think I would prefer the Midwestern region to the Northeast, because the culture sounds more to my liking-farming, nature ,agriculture, European nationality melting pot, good cuisine. not as much "churchiness" or pretension as the Bible Belt South, and not as fast-paced or assertive as the Northeast.

So who has run into this? Did you classify a region or state as "unfriendly" or "hostile" because come to think of it, you felt out of sync or you didn't fit in well with that area? Do the two matter?

Thanks
Just to clear something up, the Northeast varies in term of pace and has areas that offer the things that you like about the Midwest.

Old 06-13-2014, 08:02 AM

4,348 posts, read 7,432,603 times
And to clear something else up, much of the Midwest is indeed quite "churchy". Farmers and people in rural areas and smaller towns in the Midwest are generally quite conservative and often quite religious. I've lived in the Upper Midwest my entire life and outside of the larger cities it is pure red state country, as you can see if you consult any political map of the region.

Old 06-13-2014, 09:37 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,316,376 times
No, it's the other way around. When the people seem friendlier, it makes the place resonate with me.

Old 06-13-2014, 09:54 AM

1,314 posts, read 1,739,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
And to clear something else up, much of the Midwest is indeed quite "churchy". Farmers and people in rural areas and smaller towns in the Midwest are generally quite conservative and often quite religious. I've lived in the Upper Midwest my entire life and outside of the larger cities it is pure red state country, as you can see if you consult any political map of the region.
Different kind of "churchy," though, not the same as the Bible Belt AT ALL. People go to their Catholic/Lutheran church and get drunk watching the Packers afterward. You may have lived here your whole life, but I'm not sure you have much experience with the South - we're talking a whole different world.

Old 06-13-2014, 11:07 AM

747 posts, read 1,814,264 times
My husband is ordained. He does not practice, though. I daresay he would enjoy the church participation, no?

Old 06-13-2014, 12:00 PM

190 posts, read 228,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CowsAndBeer View Post
Different kind of "churchy," though, not the same as the Bible Belt AT ALL. People go to their Catholic/Lutheran church and get drunk watching the Packers afterward. You may have lived here your whole life, but I'm not sure you have much experience with the South - we're talking a whole different world.
Maybe in WI. But on a whole?

Are there different religious cultures in the two regions? Definitely. But much of the Midwest is very religious & conservative - just from my experiences. And the Midwest is a hotbed for fundamentalism & charismatic sects. The 'Jesus Camp' documentary is set in the Midwest and is almost entirely Midwestern in its culture. And that's not me trying to say that's the norm for religious belief in the region or that we don't have that in the South either, but not everyone gets drunk and watches the Packers after service... Look at Kansas and all the noise about teaching evolution.

However you look at it, the South is the most religious region of the country and the Midwest is right behind it.

Old 06-13-2014, 12:34 PM

1,314 posts, read 1,739,933 times
My personal experiences are quite different from someone in Wichita - "Midwest" is a giant region. I was addressing someone who specifically said they've always lived in "the Upper Midwest," and in this region, religion plays a FAR different role than it does in the Bible Belt.

Old 06-13-2014, 12:37 PM

190 posts, read 228,941 times
Quote:
My personal experiences are quite different from someone in Wichita - "Midwest" is a giant region. I was addressing someone who specifically said they've always lived in "the Upper Midwest," and in this region, religion plays a FAR different role than it does in the Bible Belt.
You're right. The Great Lakes are very different. I've lived in Cleveland and spent a good amount of time in Chicago. That region does have a lot of folks who were raised in a church but do tend to enjoy their beer & football

Old 06-13-2014, 01:52 PM

68 posts, read 81,928 times
Quote:
People in the South just don't go to church in the morning, usually it is until 2 or 3 in the afternoon, that's how my church works, 8:30 to 1:00 p.m
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or