Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 07:29 PM

10,725 posts, read 23,662,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
Yeah, I say ignore the coldailment from now on. Sniff Sniff!

More states lists!! I want to see what images others have in their minds!!

(Is no one going to take me up on smushing Delaware, Maryland and Rhode Island into a single state called Rhomaryware?)
Well you had me with Maryland and Delaware, but then Rhode island? That was the monkey wrench that didn't really work out quite well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2014, 07:30 PM

2,429 posts, read 4,001,910 times
I know -- more lists people!

Old 06-15-2014, 07:35 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,096,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdflk View Post
2) Once again you're making a link that just doesn't exist. I dont' even knwo WHAT point you're trying to make with this:
I think the point is that anyone who doesn't love and appreciate the good points of the area of the country in which they live, is doing so out of ignorance. Because surely, if they knew anything at all, they'd love it as much as them.

Old 06-15-2014, 08:08 PM

2,429 posts, read 4,001,910 times
Yeah..which makes no sense.

Old 06-15-2014, 09:06 PM

651 posts, read 794,777 times
Okay, I'm not American, but I'm gonna have a stab at it for fun, execuse my extreme ignorance everyone. All these are based of media, stuff I read on here and things I've heard.

Alabama - Rednecks? Trailer parks? Forrest Gump, When I think of the south, this is the state I think of.
Alaska - Beautiful scenery, very cold
Arizona - Dessert? Grand canyon? Phoenix?
Arkansas - ???
California - Hollywood?, surfers? San Fran? Redwood? Silicon valley?
Colorado - South park? Mountains? Very pretty state
Connecticut - Quaint, beautiful, typical New England state, heavily influenced by gilmore girls lol, I've been once though and really liked it.
Delaware - ???? Never heard of this one
Florida - Beaches? Orlando? Disney land? Dexter? Cuba influence
Georgia - Atlanta, and Savannah, and Helen
Hawaii - Valconoes, exotic
Idaho -Napopoleon Dynamite? Aaron Paul?
Illinois - Chicago, farms, lots of it
Indiana - Erm, Micheal Jackson?
Iowa - ????
Kansas -Dry, Westboro Baptist church
Kentucky - KFC?
Louisiana - New Orleans, French
Maine - Lobsters, French Canadian influence
Maryland - Rich, Baltimore,
Massachusetts - Rich, Historic, Educated, Ivy leagues, JFK, Progressive, Boston, Cape Cod. I like this state
Michigan - Lakes, Detroit, American pie?
Minnesota - FARGO, Similar to Canada, snow, lots of lakes. Really like this state for some reason.
Mississippi - Poor? Very religious, My knowledge of this state is limited, need to learn more.
Missouri - Erm, just the midwest, lots of things come to mind I just can't put them in words for some reason
Montana - Ice capped mountains
Nebraska - Truckers? lumberjacks(don't ask why)
Nevada - Las vegas, gambling, prostitution
New Hampshire - That New England state that really believes in it's "live free or die" motto
New Jersey - Nice state, New York type accents, Kinda like Newcastle here in the U.K in terms of reputation,
New Mexico - Breaking bad, mexicans, drugs, desserts, Sante fe, Albequerque(is that how you spell it?)
New York - NYC, Baseball, finger lake, Niagara falls
North Carolina - Charlotte? Asheville? No nothing about this state, all I know is that's it's a very well liked southern state, based on what I see on this forum. Seems peaceful.
North Dakota - ????
Ohio - Average American state- seems the most quintessentially American *shrugs*, Cleveland
Oklahoma - Native Americans
Oregon - Ever green, lush green scenery, portland, hipsters. love this state.
Pennsylvania - Amish? Pennsylvania? Pittsburgh? I'm sure there is more to the state
Rhode Island - State I've been to the most, as I have family there. Very small state, that has a lot of intresting spots, beautiful coastline. One of my favourates
South Carolina - Confederation, charming Charleston.
South Dakota - Mount Rushmore, that's it.
Tennessee - Country music, when I think of southern hospitality, this is the state I think of.
Texas - Cowboys, Dallas, extremely patriotic, Nasa, American football, guns. Cool state
Utah - Mormons, very cheerful(Always imagine the state being filled with the very joyful types) incredible scenery
Vermont - Beautiful rural state, quaint towns, maple syrup, very lovely state
Virginia - Presidents, historic, Southern
Washington - Seattle, laidback, irreligious, Fraiser, Microsoft, Starbucks - one of my favourate states
West Virginia - Appalachian, coal,
Wisconsin - Like Minnesota? Beer, cheese? milwaukee
Wyoming- True cowboy state, yellowstone

Last edited by A.J240; 06-15-2014 at 09:40 PM..

Old 06-15-2014, 10:37 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,460,561 times
Okay, I'm going to give this a shot. This is all based on my personal experiences and opinions, just letting ya know.
1. Alabama- SEC Football, Alabama/Auburn rivalry, Forrest Gump, Deep South, Civil Rights Movement, very poor and rural in some areas
2. Alaska- Popular with tourists, beautiful scenery, cold weather, Sarah Palin
3. Arizona- Desert, Grand Canyon, bad reputation these days, apparently very Conservative
4. Arkansas- Little Rock Nine, Ozarks, Wal-Mart, Bill Clinton
5. California- Beach Boys, Hollywood, overrated in some areas to be honest such as LA, nice areas like SF, surfing
6. Colorado- Rocky Mountains, South Park, Aspen, skiing
7. Connecticut- New England state, wealthy, Yale, very nice areas and along with some very bad areas
8. Delaware- A small, Mid-Atlantic state that everybody forgets although it isn't a bad state at all
9. Florida- "The further north you go, the more southern it gets", beaches, popular with tourists, Disney World, oranges, humid
10. Georgia- Atlanta, Gone With The Wind, Dukes of Hazzard, 1996 Olympics, MLK, Coca-Cola, Savannah, Stone Mountain, CNN Center, Athens music scene (R.E.M., The B-52's), Atlanta Hip Hop scene
11. Hawaii- A state everybody dreams of visiting, very popular with tourists, nice beaches, Pearl Harbor
12. Idaho- Potatoes?, Napoleon Dynamite
13. Illinois- Chicago, Ronald Reagan, The Simpsons, Abraham Lincoln, quite rural outside the Chicago metro
14. Indiana- Kind of like Illinois but lacking a city the size of Chicago, very Mid-Western, Indianapolis Motor Speedway, James Dean
15. Iowa- John Wayne, corn, American Pickers, The Day the Music Died
16. Kansas- Prairie, Jayhawks, Wizard Of Oz, Dodge City
17. Kentucky- Bluegrass music, Kentucky Derby, horses, Kentucky/Lousiville basketball rivalry, KFC
18. Louisiana- New Orleans, Deep South state with its own unique culture, Cajun, Mardi Gras, crayfish
19. Maine- Beautiful rocky coastline, Joshua Chamberlain, lobsters
20. Maryland- Crab cakes, a Mid-Atlantic state that everybody loves to argue whether it's northern or southern, Babe Ruth, Fort McHenry, Baltimore Orioles and the old Colts, interesting flag
21. Massachusetts- Historic, Patriotic, Boston, JFK, epitome of a New England state, Harvard, liberal, Cape Cod
22. Michigan- Detroit, Motown, Eminem, Ford and automobile manufacturing, lakes
23. Minnesota- Interesting accents, Fargo (movie), Twin Cities, Mall of America, FREEZING COLD, lots of lakes
24. Mississippi- VERY Deep South, cotton, plantations, poor, rural, William Faulkner, racism, Civil Rights Movement, Mississippi Burning, O Brother Where Art Thou?, Django Unchained, Delta blues, birthplace of Elvis Presley
25. Missouri- St. Louis, Kansas City, Harry Truman, Ozarks, Mark Twain, Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
26. Montana- Little Big Horn, Glacier National Park, natural beauty
27. Nebraska- Prairie, Cornhuskers, Omaha, Gerald Ford, College Baseball World Series
28. Nevada- Las Vegas, not very familiar with this state but I'm guessing it's mostly desert
29. New Hampshire- Mountainous, New England, peaceful and remote state
30. New Jersey- Bad reputation these days, some terrible areas (Camden) and some nice areas (Princeton), many areas that are suburbs of NYC, accents that I can't stand
31. New Mexico- Breaking Bad, Mexican influences, not very familiar but I imagine it's a bit like Arizona?
32. New York- NYC, Buffalo, Baseball, Adirondack and Catskill Mountains, Long Island
33. North Carolina- Tobacco, ACC basketball (Duke/UNC rivalry), The Andy Griffith Show, longleaf pines, NASCAR, Outer Banks, birthplace of Pepsi, Blue Ridge Mountains, Great Smokey Mountains National Park, natural beauty, Biltmore Estate, pork BBQ
34. North Dakota- I'm sorry but I have no idea, a bit like South Dakota with not as much tourism?, absolutely freezing I imagine
35. Ohio- Seen by many to be a cliche American state, 3 C's (Cincinnati, Columbus, Cleveland), Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, Pro Football Hall of Fame, Lake Erie, Ohio State Buckeyes
36. Oklahoma- VERY conservative, Cherokee, Cowboys, Sooners, Oklahoma! (musical), "Okies" (Grapes of Wrath)
37. Oregon- Hipster?, Portland, Oregon Trail, not very familiar with this state as you can probably tell!
38. Pennsylvania- Philly, Pittsburgh, Amish, Gettysburg, Hershey, very historic, Valley Forge
39. Rhode Island- Tiny, New England state, Family Guy, mansions in Newport
40. South Carolina- Charleston, Antebellum, plantations along the coast, first state to secede from the Union, Ft. Sumter, palmetto, Myrtle Beach, John C. Calhoun
41. South Dakota- Mt. Rushmore, Black Hills, Crazy Horse, not much else
42. Tennessee- Country music, Nashville, Memphis, BBQ, hillbilly, Moon Pies, Graceland, Gatlinburg, Great Smoky Mountains National Park (park is divided in two by the TN/NC border) Gaylord Opryland Resort
43. Texas- Cowboys, High School football, oil, Dallas Cowboys, King Of The Hill, The Alamo, "Keep Austin Weird", SXSW
44. Utah- Mormons, natural beauty, imagine a ton of mountainous regions
45. Vermont- Remote, Maple Syrup, apparently Hippie
46. Virginia- Very historic, birthplace of many presidents such as George Washington and Thomas Jefferson, Capital of the Confederacy in Richmond, site of many Civil War battles, Robert E. Lee, Jamestown, Colonial Williamsburg
47. Washington- Seattle, Grunge music, Kurt Cobain, Nirvana, Jimi Hendrix, Starbucks, Mount Rainier
48. West Virginia- Coal, Appalachian, "Take Me Home, County Roads" song, October Sky, quite mountainous
49. Wisconsin- Green Bay Packers, cheese, Mid-Western, Milwaukee, beer
50. Wyoming- Beautiful, cowboy, Yellowstone

Old 06-15-2014, 11:12 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,537,959 times
OK, instead of RhoMaryWare just Maryware.

I guess we could give Rhode Island to Hawii or Alaska - or Puerto Rico!!

Isn't it interesting how much movies and tv influence images? Especially for our foreign correspondent, which is very natural.

Old 06-16-2014, 06:09 AM

320 posts, read 575,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a.j240 View Post
okay, i'm not american, but i'm gonna have a stab at it for fun, execuse my extreme ignorance everyone. All these are based of media, stuff i read on here and things i've heard.

Alabama - rednecks? Trailer parks? Forrest gump, when i think of the south, this is the state i think of.
Alaska - beautiful scenery, very cold
arizona - dessert? Grand canyon? Phoenix?
Arkansas - ???
california - hollywood?, surfers? San fran? Redwood? Silicon valley?
Colorado - south park? Mountains? Very pretty state
connecticut - quaint, beautiful, typical new england state, heavily influenced by gilmore girls lol, i've been once though and really liked it.
Delaware - ???? Never heard of this one
florida - beaches? Orlando? Disney land? Dexter? Cuba influence
georgia - atlanta, and savannah, and helen
hawaii - valconoes, exotic
idaho -napopoleon dynamite? Aaron paul?
Illinois - chicago, farms, lots of it
indiana - erm, micheal jackson?
Iowa - ????
Kansas -dry, westboro baptist church
kentucky - kfc?
Louisiana - new orleans, french
maine - lobsters, french canadian influence
maryland - rich, baltimore,
massachusetts - rich, historic, educated, ivy leagues, jfk, progressive, boston, cape cod. I like this state
michigan - lakes, detroit, american pie?
Minnesota - fargo, similar to canada, snow, lots of lakes. Really like this state for some reason.
Mississippi - poor? Very religious, my knowledge of this state is limited, need to learn more.
Missouri - erm, just the midwest, lots of things come to mind i just can't put them in words for some reason
montana - ice capped mountains
nebraska - truckers? Lumberjacks(don't ask why)
nevada - las vegas, gambling, prostitution
new hampshire - that new england state that really believes in it's "live free or die" motto
new jersey - nice state, new york type accents, kinda like newcastle here in the u.k in terms of reputation,
new mexico - breaking bad, mexicans, drugs, desserts, sante fe, albequerque(is that how you spell it?)
new york - nyc, baseball, finger lake, niagara falls
north carolina - charlotte? Asheville? No nothing about this state, all i know is that's it's a very well liked southern state, based on what i see on this forum. Seems peaceful.
North dakota - ????
Ohio - average american state- seems the most quintessentially american *shrugs*, cleveland
oklahoma - native americans
oregon - ever green, lush green scenery, portland, hipsters. Love this state.
Pennsylvania - amish? Pennsylvania? Pittsburgh? I'm sure there is more to the state
rhode island - state i've been to the most, as i have family there. Very small state, that has a lot of intresting spots, beautiful coastline. One of my favourates
south carolina - confederation, charming charleston.
South dakota - mount rushmore, that's it.
Tennessee - country music, when i think of southern hospitality, this is the state i think of.
Texas - cowboys, dallas, extremely patriotic, nasa, american football, guns. Cool state
utah - mormons, very cheerful(always imagine the state being filled with the very joyful types) incredible scenery
vermont - beautiful rural state, quaint towns, maple syrup, very lovely state
virginia - presidents, historic, southern
washington - seattle, laidback, irreligious, fraiser, microsoft, starbucks - one of my favourate states
west virginia - appalachian, coal,
wisconsin - like minnesota? Beer, cheese? Milwaukee
wyoming- true cowboy state, yellowstone

smdh.

Old 06-16-2014, 09:36 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,067,174 times
It's funny that people associate Washington with rain, but not Oregon.

Old 06-16-2014, 09:39 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,137,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdflk View Post
This is so interesting...it's funny how some states are so 'off the radar' when it comes to certain things.

How often do Vermont, or Rhode Island, or North Dakota -- make national news? Not much.
Some states immediately come to mind with a certain image...and others we don't think 'anything' about at all.

Clearly some state have an 'image problem."
Love the line: "There IS a New Mexico?"
I took that from the Simpson's (Montgomery Burns)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.