U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: What city has the strongest LGBT community?
Seattle 11 15.94%
Los Angeles 11 15.94%
Denver 2 2.90%
Minneapolis/St. Paul 7 10.14%
Dallas/Fort Worth 0 0%
Houston 0 0%
New Orleans 0 0%
Chicago 7 10.14%
Atlanta 11 15.94%
Tampa 1 1.45%
Washington D.C. 1 1.45%
New York City 13 18.84%
St. Louis 0 0%
Philadelphia 2 2.90%
Boston 3 4.35%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-15-2014, 06:13 PM
 
Location: Auburn, New York
1,775 posts, read 2,517,724 times
Reputation: 2935

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
There's absolutely no reliable statistics available that show the LGBT population of any place in the U.S. It's very hard to measure. Therefore, the best statistic IMO is simply the total population of a city, multiplied by say, 5%. In conclusion, NYC has the highest number of LGBT residents of any city in the nation. Bottom line....the more populated an area, the more LGBT people there are. The less populated an area, the less LGBT people there are. There may be a few exceptions or inconsistencies, but in general, it really is that simple.

If you're gay in, say, Scranton, PA, you can easily move to any of the big cities in the Bos-Wash corridor. If you're gay in Minot, ND, you have far fewer nearby options.

Therefore, you get a higher concentration of LGBT people in big cities surrounded by conservative country: Minneapolis, Dallas, Houston, Atlanta, Salt Lake City, etcetera.

Also, despite being the same size, Spokane's LGBT community seems more organized and prominent than that in Syracuse; Sacramento's is more prominent than that in Cincinnati; Tucson's is more prominent than that in Fresno.

Last edited by Dawn.Davenport; 06-15-2014 at 06:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-15-2014, 09:39 PM
 
Location: Jacksonville, FL
11,145 posts, read 14,146,250 times
Reputation: 7075
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
If you're gay in, say, Scranton, PA, you can easily move to any of the big cities in the Bos-Wash corridor. If you're gay in Minot, ND, you have far fewer nearby options.

Therefore, you get a higher concentration of LGBT people in big cities surrounded by conservative country: Minneapolis, Dallas, Houston, Atlanta, Salt Lake City, etcetera.

Also, despite being the same size, Spokane's LGBT community seems more organized and prominent than that in Syracuse; Sacramento's is more prominent than that in Cincinnati; Tucson's is more prominent than that in Fresno.
Do you have any statistics or facts to support this? Or is this just based off of your own anecdotal evidence?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2014, 10:07 PM
 
Location: northern Vermont - previously NM, WA, & MA
9,446 posts, read 18,363,374 times
Reputation: 11926
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Do you have any statistics or facts to support this? Or is this just based off of your own anecdotal evidence?
You can press for statistical cold hard facts and numbers as much as you want but numbers, polls, and facts are certainly not going to make it relatable to anyone. As someone who has lived in New England and other parts of the country I believe one reason why Boston may not rank as high in the minds of some in rankings for LGBT communities is because it's not needed as much where as larger cities that function more like islands in a conservative red sea are much different. New England states harbor a progressive attitude in general all over and it doesn't matter if it is a big city in Massachusetts, small town in Vermont, or a suburb in Connecticut.

As a gay man myself I'd feel fairly comfortable settling just about anywhere in any one of the six New England states, and not so much in many other parts of the country. Somebody in Georgia might feel a much stronger to draw to Atlanta or one in Utah may feel a strong pull to Salt Lake City due to lack of other options within the state, thus making a higher profile and magnetic draw for gays where it is not as much of a needed draw for Boston because its simply not as necessary to migrate to the city to be openly gay or accepted. Nonetheless Boston has a large gay community anyways, but it's a different atmosphere and for different reasons than somewhere like Atlanta or Salt Lake City.

Last edited by Desert_SW_77; 06-15-2014 at 10:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2014, 06:27 AM
 
21,218 posts, read 30,435,315 times
Reputation: 19671
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
First Tier
San Fran
Chicago
Seattle
New York*
LA*

*Included in the top tier by sheer numbers only. Per capita, these two cities are not really that impressive.

Second Tier
Atlanta
Washington DC
Minneapolis
Dallas
Houston

Third Tier
Philly
Miami
Orlando
Boston
Columbus

Fourth Tier
Portland, OR
Salt Lake City
Tampa
Baltimore
Denver
San Diego
Sacramento
New Orleans
Phoenix
Austin

Fifth Tier
Providence
Las Vegas
Milwaukee
Cleveland
St. Louis
Rochester, NY
Pittsburgh
Charlotte
Kansas City
As a gay male who also travels and has lived in some of the cities mentioned I disagree with your list which seems based more on the "hey, look at us we're gay" criteria. Cities like NYC, LA, DC, Boston and Philly feature less of that because the LGBT community is largely integrated with the general population and lacking in the "gayborhoods" that exist in some cities (or historically in these particular cities), which doesn't give the visual impression at first glance of a large LGBT presence/influence. In other words I think you're using 1980s-1990s criteria in 2014, which isn't accurate for where we are now in terms of evolution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2014, 11:28 AM
 
Location: Jacksonville, FL
11,145 posts, read 14,146,250 times
Reputation: 7075
Yeah, I mean that's true about New England. The gays are scattered all over the place, even in the country, because it's liberal almost everywhere -- urban or rural, which is great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2014, 12:16 PM
 
Location: Milwaukee
1,314 posts, read 1,741,080 times
Reputation: 946
Not THE COUNTRY? Wow, that's practically unheard of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2014, 12:18 PM
 
Location: Milwaukee
1,314 posts, read 1,741,080 times
Reputation: 946
The country, damn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2014, 01:21 PM
 
Location: Jacksonville, FL
11,145 posts, read 14,146,250 times
Reputation: 7075
Quote:
Originally Posted by CowsAndBeer View Post
The country, damn.
Huh? Are you confused about something?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2014, 10:23 AM
 
Location: Milwaukee
1,314 posts, read 1,741,080 times
Reputation: 946
Even in the country. Wow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2014, 01:11 PM
 
Location: New England
76 posts, read 108,612 times
Reputation: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by CowsAndBeer View Post
Not THE COUNTRY? Wow, that's practically unheard of.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CowsAndBeer View Post
The country, damn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CowsAndBeer View Post
Even in the country. Wow.
Why do you keep saying this? Is it a reference to something?

At first I assumed you were responding to nep saying "The gays are scattered all over the place, even in the country", and being sarcastic as of course there are gay people everywhere. But the LGBT community is less accepted in the country, outside of some areas like New England and the Upper Midwest, so I think their point was valid. In some parts of the country LGBT people are more pressured to move to cities than others.

But then you said it a third time, 2 days later, and now I am really confused. Explain, please?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top