U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 05:14 PM

1,350 posts, read 1,880,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gidi08 View Post
Thanks for the responses. I know most people would want to stay in CA but the major life changes were extremely traumatic so I just really need to go somewhere where I can create a new life and be happy.

I will definitely look into Charleston. I wasn't planning to go that far east but from what I read the city is very attractive.

I am definitely more into the coastal lifestyle of Seattle (and they have so many great companies to work for in that area) however, I have read countless threads on the internet about people being so unhappy due to the 'freeze' and having a social life/group is incredibly important to me. In every other sense Seattle really ticks the boxes which is rather unfortunate.

I am leaning towards Denver over Austin simply due to size and I'm not a fan of the Texas heat however, Austin shows up on many rankings as being an easy city to start over in as a young adult and create a new life.

...any thoughts on Portland or any other cities? I'm open to recommendations.
Portland's job market sucks. It was never great, but since Portland has become the hipster mecca, let's just say that the supply of ready and willing workers greatly exceeds demand. You don't want to put yourself through that unless you are so high up on the skills level that it doesn't matter (i.e., medical doctor, nurse, high level health professional).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2014, 05:23 PM

1,350 posts, read 1,880,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unspeakable View Post
I am still trying to figure out all the hype about tiny Austin. I am not impressed by the city at all. Since OP appears to have the freedom to locate anywhere I would direct away from Austin, and to more impressive cities like Seattle and Denver. IMO.
Seattle is impressive from an employment perspective. If you are moving to Seattle to get a job that looks good on your resume, then Seattle makes sense.

However, the devil is in the details.

Right now, if you search in the "Seattle area" archives, you will literally find pages and pages and pages on the "Seattle freeze" topic. I, for one, appreciate the reserve and feel comfortable and safe within it. However, not everyone feels that way. Knowledge is power, so definitely take a look at those previous posts because there are some very interesting assessments made by people from many walks of life.

Based on the assertion made at the opening of this thread, I figured Seattle would be a very bad fit. Portland is also a bad fit, though for a different reason (job market sucks, and the guys - while amiable - may be a bit of a mess).

Old 06-16-2014, 06:42 PM

555 posts, read 661,716 times
"friendly people and ease of making a new social group."

That eliminates Seattle and Portland completely. I'm in somewhat of the same situation as you, OP: but am leaving Seattle almost exclusively because of antisocial climate. Portland is absolutely no better.

Old 06-16-2014, 06:52 PM

5 posts, read 11,570 times
That is really just unfortunate about Seattle. I love that they have such good job opportunities but I refuse to deal with the antisocial situation.

Another poster stated that Denver was the friendlier version of Seattle so I may look into that

Old 06-16-2014, 07:03 PM

5 posts, read 11,570 times
Blackhawk- have you found somewhere to live that you prefer more?

Old 06-16-2014, 07:51 PM

35,324 posts, read 25,151,966 times
Upper Midwest. All the way. Mnpls / Chicago, / Milwaukee or one of the college towns (Madison, Iowa City, etc). Great friendly people. The cities aren't conservative like the more Southern Midwest areas. Real friendly people, compared to the fronting types. Good cost of living compared to the coasts.

Old 06-16-2014, 08:14 PM

555 posts, read 661,716 times
Gidi:
Not yet, though I've looked at Denver. Boise also seems to be a possible option: I've never been there but people say it's a really friendly and overlooked place with a lot of good things happening. Considering Vancouver, Washington if I stay in the state: it seems populated by Seattle/Portland refugees who wanted to escape the antisocial environments. At least they seemed friendly when I've visited.

I've been in Nevada and Arizona, both nice too; but I'm not sure I'd be up for living in the desert again!

Old 06-16-2014, 10:24 PM

3,605 posts, read 5,054,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unspeakable View Post
I am still trying to figure out all the hype about tiny Austin. I am not impressed by the city at all. Since OP appears to have the freedom to locate anywhere I would direct away from Austin, and to more impressive cities like Seattle and Denver. IMO.
Tiny? Austin is the 4th biggest city in Texas, and rising.

Old 06-17-2014, 01:06 AM

4,552 posts, read 3,635,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gidi08 View Post
I would be really bummed if there was a Portland "freeze" as well. Portland's economy is really not what I'm looking for but I really enjoy everything else. It just sucks that socially they're such difficult cities. That is something I just can't compromise on
I absolutely love Phoenix. I've visited several times and have always enjoyed the people and general atmosphere. My issue is the heat. I don't handle heat very well- tends to make me ill. Otherwise it really does fit my needs I completely agree with you. Maybe I will just invest in a good ac unit and lots of sunscreen :/
Ill? It's common for people to be ill when they first deal with the heat. When I went to Alaska during the summer one time, and I came back to Arizona during monsoon season and I almost threw up because of the temperature change. I think it actually was one of the hottest days in Arizona history, of course, but because I had been in Alaska for two and a half months, my body had lost its tolerance for the heat. I heard it takes a couple months to gain tolerance for it.

I'm more cold tolerant than heat tolerant, but I have lived without A/C for a few years here, I used to work outdoors with no shade and little water, and I have been to places hotter than here... but now that I don't live with my parents as much (because my dad refuses to use the A/C during the day), and I stopped working outside, I'm not as used to it.

Also, being in the shade as much as possible, not doing strenuous activity, drinking lots of water and electrolytes and not eating foods that dehydrate you will help a ton.

Old 06-17-2014, 02:00 AM

46 posts, read 52,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davros View Post
Tiny? Austin is the 4th biggest city in Texas, and rising.
Compared to the other cities being offered here yes Austin and the surrounding metro is tiny. The Seattle metro is twice the size of Austin's. And the city of Phoenix itself is almost as large as the entire Austin metro (1.5 million vs. 1.8 million) with the Phoenix metro almost 2.5 times the size of the Austin metro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or