Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2014, 12:27 PM

5 posts, read 23,611 times

Advertisements

I read through a few similar threads but they were a bit older. I am needing to move and start over. I am originally from the oc/la CA area and lived for several years in the Oklahoma/Arkansas area. Due to some major life events I returned to CA and realized that it is not working for me anymore- I just cant be happy here.

So my main goals for a potential place to move would be:
good economy
friendly people AND ease of making a new social group* this is a must- I am a social person but a bit shy
NOT a couple dominated area
Dog- friendly
preferably western u.s.
lots of 20-30 year olds (my age group)

Cities I've considered:
I love the city of Seattle but am very concerned about the 'Seattle freeze', Portland also seems great but the economy is not doing as well from what I can see online, Denver and Austin also both seem fine but I'm not the biggest fan of that much snow/ heat.

Any thoughts/opinions/ recommendations are welcome

Last edited by gidi08; 06-15-2014 at 01:07 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2014, 02:12 PM

268 posts, read 427,887 times
Study: Best Cities to Start Over - CreditDonkey - Best Cities to Start Over
Study: Best Small Cities for Starting Over - CreditDonkey - Best Small Cities to Start Over

I've got my eye on Charleston (No.1 on small cities list). I live out west, too, and have considered Seattle, but am also turned away by the rain and the Freeze.

Charleston offers affordable coastal living, a great food scene and a seemingly close-knit community. Although it's in a decidedly conservative state, Charleston, from what I've read, is a little more moderate. The economy seems to be picking up there. I think it's a city to watch over the next few years, especially as California gets more expensive and people continue the migration from cold, northern states, to sunnier climates.

Old 06-15-2014, 02:55 PM

53 posts, read 68,576 times
If you were not already in California I would have suggested it, that said, you should at least give Seattle a try if you can afford it considering that it checks everything off your list.

Old 06-15-2014, 02:57 PM

1,359 posts, read 2,466,499 times
If you like outdoor activities at all, Denver has to be high up on the list.

Of the (former) Seattlites that I know who have moved on to other places, most end up in Denver or Austin. Denver appears to have a lot in common with Seattle, except that (a) it is not on a coast, and (b) the people appear to be more gregarious (from my friends' perspectives).

If you like warmer weather, there's always Austin.

Old 06-15-2014, 03:07 PM

53 posts, read 68,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amaiunmei View Post
If you like outdoor activities at all, Denver has to be high up on the list.

Of the (former) Seattlites that I know who have moved on to other places, most end up in Denver or Austin. Denver appears to have a lot in common with Seattle, except that (a) it is not on a coast, and (b) the people appear to be more gregarious (from my friends' perspectives).

If you like warmer weather, there's always Austin.
I am still trying to figure out all the hype about tiny Austin. I am not impressed by the city at all. Since OP appears to have the freedom to locate anywhere I would direct away from Austin, and to more impressive cities like Seattle and Denver. IMO.

Old 06-15-2014, 04:04 PM

Thanks for the responses. I know most people would want to stay in CA but the major life changes were extremely traumatic so I just really need to go somewhere where I can create a new life and be happy.

I will definitely look into Charleston. I wasn't planning to go that far east but from what I read the city is very attractive.

I am definitely more into the coastal lifestyle of Seattle (and they have so many great companies to work for in that area) however, I have read countless threads on the internet about people being so unhappy due to the 'freeze' and having a social life/group is incredibly important to me. In every other sense Seattle really ticks the boxes which is rather unfortunate.

I am leaning towards Denver over Austin simply due to size and I'm not a fan of the Texas heat however, Austin shows up on many rankings as being an easy city to start over in as a young adult and create a new life.

...any thoughts on Portland or any other cities? I'm open to recommendations.

Old 06-15-2014, 05:12 PM

91,984 posts, read 122,078,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlohaFriday View Post
Study: Best Cities to Start Over - CreditDonkey - Best Cities to Start Over
Study: Best Small Cities for Starting Over - CreditDonkey - Best Small Cities to Start Over

I've got my eye on Charleston (No.1 on small cities list). I live out west, too, and have considered Seattle, but am also turned away by the rain and the Freeze.

Charleston offers affordable coastal living, a great food scene and a seemingly close-knit community. Although it's in a decidedly conservative state, Charleston, from what I've read, is a little more moderate. The economy seems to be picking up there. I think it's a city to watch over the next few years, especially as California gets more expensive and people continue the migration from cold, northern states, to sunnier climates.
Compared to the West Coast, coastal areas in Charleston may seem affordable, but to live near the coast there, you are going to pay a pretty hefty price for a home near the coast there. If you go further inland, the housing becomes more affordable.

Old 06-15-2014, 06:52 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,719,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gidi08 View Post
Thanks for the responses. I know most people would want to stay in CA but the major life changes were extremely traumatic so I just really need to go somewhere where I can create a new life and be happy.

I will definitely look into Charleston. I wasn't planning to go that far east but from what I read the city is very attractive.

I am definitely more into the coastal lifestyle of Seattle (and they have so many great companies to work for in that area) however, I have read countless threads on the internet about people being so unhappy due to the 'freeze' and having a social life/group is incredibly important to me. In every other sense Seattle really ticks the boxes which is rather unfortunate.

I am leaning towards Denver over Austin simply due to size and I'm not a fan of the Texas heat however, Austin shows up on many rankings as being an easy city to start over in as a young adult and create a new life.

...any thoughts on Portland or any other cities? I'm open to recommendations.
Maybe someone who has been to Portland can shed some light on this but is it possible that Portland also has a "Portland Freeze"? I only ask because I have heard that the people in Portland and Seattle are similar. If this is true to some degree, I would actually assume Seattle would be a better place, because there are more people in Seattle.

Phoenix actually fits your goals to a T (especially on the young, extroverted, single people), but is hotter. Actually, it is a lot like the Inland Empire, and the rich suburb of Phoenix, Scottsdale, is a lot like Orange County. So if you like LA outside of your personal life issues, Phoenix is the best suggestion.

Old 06-16-2014, 12:36 PM

I would be really bummed if there was a Portland "freeze" as well. Portland's economy is really not what I'm looking for but I really enjoy everything else. It just sucks that socially they're such difficult cities. That is something I just can't compromise on
I absolutely love Phoenix. I've visited several times and have always enjoyed the people and general atmosphere. My issue is the heat. I don't handle heat very well- tends to make me ill. Otherwise it really does fit my needs I completely agree with you. Maybe I will just invest in a good ac unit and lots of sunscreen :/

Old 06-16-2014, 04:26 PM

268 posts, read 427,887 times
I live in Phoenix and really dislike it, although you of course may have a different perspective. I moved here for my now-husband, and was definitely charmed while visiting. Everything was so new and driving was so easy and the shopping was wonderful. But if you're a water person at all, the dryness will get to you, as will the never-ending desert brown.

People do commonly compare Phoenix to LA but I don't really see the comparison except that they're both spread out. LA has never-ending neighborhoods to explore, a well-diversified economy and a world-class arts and culture scene. It's got things going on. In Phoenix you have to look really hard for sub-cultures, mom-and-pop restaurants and non-cookie cutter aesthetic. I heard someone say this in another thread and it's true: Phoenix is a sea of big-box-based strip malls separated by master planned communities.

I also lived for a brief time in Portland and really liked it. There's so much to do with the beautiful, huge parks, main drags to walk around and explore, and lots of quirky people. People were pretty friendly. There was definitely a too-cool-for-school hipster aspect going on. I remember going to a couple concerts — great live music scene — and nobody was dancing, haha. But overall a great city. It's also possible to traverse the city without a car, which is another bonus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.