Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 08:54 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,810,783 times

Advertisements

I have the misfortune of living in a town where many people treat the roadsides, ditches, parking lots, and vacant property as trash dumps for anything and everything. I do what I can to pick up trash, but it seems there needs to be a thousand others doing the same. Yes, we have garbage pickup twice a week for residences, but littering seems to be a cultural thing. Even some wealthy people live like slobs. There are businesses with filthy restrooms, trashy parking lots, and filthy interiors and the owners won't do a thing to clean them up! Complaining doesn't seem to help.
Both my parents believed in keeping our home clean and neat. Even though Mom is in her seventies, she still cleans house every day. We are far from being wealthy. Just because people are poor or poorly educated, should that excuse people from being slobs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2014, 10:04 AM

368 posts, read 396,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
I have the misfortune of living in a town where many people treat the roadsides, ditches, parking lots, and vacant property as trash dumps for anything and everything. I do what I can to pick up trash, but it seems there needs to be a thousand others doing the same. Yes, we have garbage pickup twice a week for residences, but littering seems to be a cultural thing. Even some wealthy people live like slobs. There are businesses with filthy restrooms, trashy parking lots, and filthy interiors and the owners won't do a thing to clean them up! Complaining doesn't seem to help.
Both my parents believed in keeping our home clean and neat. Even though Mom is in her seventies, she still cleans house every day. We are far from being wealthy. Just because people are poor or poorly educated, should that excuse people from being slobs?
My town for the most part is clean, though it can get very messy the night before Halloween with kids chucking toilet paper rolls on the trees. Friday's can be disastrous too because the garbage men around here tend to leave the empty bins on the edge of people's driveways or on the edge of curbs and the wind ends up pushing them into the roads. Other than that, I can't complain too much. Roads are cleaned and potholes are filled regularly.

I'm right there with you on keeping up the house. I figure it this way: once it's done, there's more incentive to maintain it. A clean house keeps stress down and then you have more time to enjoy the finer things in life.

Old 06-16-2014, 10:56 AM

27,216 posts, read 43,923,184 times
I lived in Philadelphia for eight years and found it filthy in that respect. Many seem to like living that way and would be stunned watching people toss whatever was in their hand on the ground the second they were finished with it, despite being 50 feet from a trash receptacle. I lived in a rapidly gentrifying neighborhood where the original residents would sit around watching as I or one of a select few on the block would spend an hour sweeping up debris (an entire 30 gallon trash can would be filled in one block) only to have it swirling around again within a day or two. I so don't miss that.

Old 06-16-2014, 11:46 AM

10,019 posts, read 8,635,195 times
Trash blowing down the street is bad enough but when there are weeds 10 feet tall growing thru the sidewalks...well it just makes a fellow itch something fierce.

Old 06-17-2014, 12:38 PM

542 posts, read 1,683,604 times
I live in NYC. Just stand on the subway platform and look at all the trash on the tracks...nothing is cleaned.

Old 06-17-2014, 12:45 PM

119 posts, read 300,427 times
It's pretty clean where I live but when I travel closer to downtown Austin some areas are just plain terrible. Not to mention all the able bodied people begging on the corners or dancing loonies.

Old 06-17-2014, 12:50 PM

734 posts, read 1,082,189 times
The city doesn't maintain the greenery like they used to. Some areas look like "Life After People".

Old 06-17-2014, 01:23 PM

1,312 posts, read 2,169,787 times
I live in a nice near-downtown neighborhood, but it's close to some bars (well, everywhere in Milwaukee is CLOSE TO some bars) and I often find baloney sandwiches, shoes, vomit, and lots of broken glass on the street/sidewalk/porch, especially on weekends. It is one thing I will not miss when I move out of town later this year.

Old 06-17-2014, 04:12 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,619,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I lived in Philadelphia for eight years and found it filthy in that respect. Many seem to like living that way and would be stunned watching people toss whatever was in their hand on the ground the second they were finished with it, despite being 50 feet from a trash receptacle. I lived in a rapidly gentrifying neighborhood where the original residents would sit around watching as I or one of a select few on the block would spend an hour sweeping up debris (an entire 30 gallon trash can would be filled in one block) only to have it swirling around again within a day or two. I so don't miss that.
Filthydelphia !

Old 06-17-2014, 04:21 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
No. For al long time, Texas had the reputation of being the most littered state. Today, I think Texans are pretty pound of the fact that the "Don't Mess With Texas" anti-littering campaign really worked
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.