Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2014, 06:08 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
I find it odd that people say this, considering there are only 21 states with a higher percentage of passport-carrying residents than Pennsylvania. The only way that's near the bottom is if we cut the number of states in half somehow.
So Pennsylvania is about in the middle for passport-carrying residents. It's #4 in residents born in state. When you look at individual cities and counties, sometimes the % is very high. For example, in Beaver County, Patterson Twp, about 10 mi. from Ohio: http://www.city-data.com/city/Pennsylvania2.html

Population: 3054. % born in PA: 86.5%.
66% of Patterson Township residents lived in the same house 5 years ago.
Out of people who lived in different houses, 65% lived in this county.
Out of people who lived in different counties, 65% lived in Pennsylvania.

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/housing/hou...#ixzz35PsHkK9p
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2014, 06:12 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,747,384 times
I just put together a map illustrating the percentage of residents with passports in each state:

I bet this map would have a pretty strong inverse correlation with the percentage of people who have never left their state of residence. In other words, the lighter the color of the state on the map above, the more likely you'd encounter a person who's never left their state of residence, and the darker the color of the state, the less likely you'd encounter such a person.

But maybe I'm being naive, and I should just start conflating townships with entire states, and conflating the population over the age of 50 with the entire population.

Old 06-22-2014, 06:42 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
^^Or maybe just quit being so sarcastic.

Old 06-23-2014, 01:39 AM

7,639 posts, read 18,125,272 times
The farthest my brother's been away is South Dakota...about 600 miles from here.

I asked a girl the last time she was in NYC...she said she never left the state (Minnesota), but I doubt that, because the place she worked at was about one or two miles from Wisconsin, by road.

Old 06-23-2014, 01:47 AM

312 posts, read 494,333 times
Oh god no. That would be disgusting. I can understand never having moved away from your home state but never stepping foot outside it? Ridiculous.

Old 06-23-2014, 05:35 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
^^Or maybe just quit being so sarcastic.
The Philly/Pennsylvania homers who invariably show up on any thread with something not positive about the "beloved homeland" can't help themselves and interestingly enough none of it is ever true....it just can't be because it's such a perfect place to live.

Old 06-23-2014, 06:36 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,476,450 times
Until age 14 I had only been to a couple counties outside Kentucky, and they were border counties (the one Cincinnati is in and a Tennessee county - to help get my older brother out of jail LOL). My single mother simply didn't have the money travel. I was also 15 before I ever ate at a restaurant where a tip was left.

Since then I have got to travel a bit more. Now that I have a good job and two weeks of vacation time per year I'd like to travel a bunch more

Old 06-23-2014, 06:44 AM

9,532 posts, read 16,518,269 times
I have a number of relatives here in Mass, that almost fit this category. If it were not for the closeness of the other New England states, especially Rhode Island. Then they would never have been out of Mass. To each their own though.

Old 06-23-2014, 07:25 AM

7,270 posts, read 10,598,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
The Philly/Pennsylvania homers who invariably show up on any thread with something not positive about the "beloved homeland" can't help themselves and interestingly enough none of it is ever true....it just can't be because it's such a perfect place to live.
There's nothing "homer" about refuting misinformation and specious assertions.

At any rate, as multiple people have pointed out, there's no truly informative data on this topic. Anecdotes are interesting and provide a personal perspective, but they aren't helpful for understanding demographic data comprehensively.

Last edited by Duderino; 06-23-2014 at 07:35 AM..

Old 06-23-2014, 07:42 AM

7,270 posts, read 10,598,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
So Pennsylvania is about in the middle for passport-carrying residents. It's #4 in residents born in state. When you look at individual cities and counties, sometimes the % is very high. For example, in Beaver County, Patterson Twp, about 10 mi. from Ohio: http://www.city-data.com/city/Pennsylvania2.html
Again, nativity rates have nothing to do with mobility/travel habits of native residents.

If the topic was, which states have the fewest outsiders or non-natives, then absolutely, there's no doubt that Pennsylvania would be up there -- but that's not what this thread is addressing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.