Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 02:19 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,487,940 times

Advertisements

The term "Midwest" is used to describe such a large region that I often think it should be divided into 2 separate regions. This makes sense to me both geographically and for the fact that such a large region has many cultures. There's the industrial Midwest and Great Lakes region and then there is the more agricultural Great Planes states that lack the industrial component. Dividing the Midwest into the "Great Lakes Region" and "Midwest" like this kind of makes sense to me. Grouping North Dakota and Ohio in the same region just seems ridiculous to me. Just as ridiculous as saying Los Angeles and Seattle are in the same region and dubbing it "West".

Great Lakes Region: Ohio, Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana, Minnesota

Midwest: North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas, Iowa, Missouri
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2014, 02:22 PM

23,771 posts, read 28,844,022 times
If we are going to make a new region, I want it to be the Mississippi River Region.

Old 06-17-2014, 02:24 PM

3,412 posts, read 5,082,003 times
I don't think these regions work either. Illinois isn't really that different from Iowa or Missouri, and Minnesota and Wisconsin are pretty different from Ohio and Indiana. Really, I see the "Midwest" grouped like this...

Region 1: Illinois, Iowa, Missouri, Western Indiana
Region 2: Minnesota, Wisconsin, UP Michigan
Region 3: Eastern Indiana, Western Ohio, Southern Michigan
Region 4: Eastern Ohio, Western PA, Western NY, Northwestern West Virginia

I realize some people don't want to call Region 4 the midwest. But I'd argue that whatever you want to call it, these areas should be grouped together.

Anything West of Iowa is Great Planes.

Old 06-17-2014, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
I don't think these regions work either. Illinois isn't really that different from Iowa or Missouri, and Minnesota and Wisconsin are pretty different from Ohio and Indiana. Really, I see the "Midwest" grouped like this...

Region 1: Illinois, Iowa, Missouri, Western Indiana
Region 2: Minnesota, Wisconsin, UP Michigan
Region 3: Eastern Indiana, Western Ohio, Southern Michigan
Region 4: Eastern Ohio, Western PA, Western NY, Northwestern West Virginia

I realize some people don't want to call Region 4 the midwest. But I'd argue that whatever you want to call it, these areas should be grouped together.

Anything West of Iowa is Great Planes.
I was also thinking of a more North/South division. Northern Illinois is more Great Lakes, similar to Ohio and Michigan. Southern Illinois is more similar to Missouri, Southern Indiana, and Iowa

Old 06-17-2014, 04:18 PM

2,516 posts, read 5,663,997 times
I have devised an extremely simple breakdown that I truly hope the Administrators at C-D utilize, while granting me all the accolades for such a brilliant and amazingly simplistic easy to read breakdown of the Great Lakes and Midwest. I present to you:

Region 1a: Northern 1/4 Illinois, East 1/4 Iowa, and the closest 100 million gallons of Lake Michigan and I-69's service roads.
Region 1b: 1/8 Northern Missouri, 1/8 Southern Iowa and the town of Quincy, IL and St Louis.
Region 1b1a: West 1/16 Indiana, 200 mile by 200 mile Central 1/16 Illinois and all goats but not the farms that said goats or their owners.
Region 1c3z: Central 1/8 Indiana, Indianapolis minus North Indianapolis and most of I-69, minus the service roads.
Region 1e5x: Southern 1/32 Indiana, Bob Sacamanta's 40 acre lot in North Kentucky, excluding the 7-11, but including Mrs Jones's 2 acre watermelon patch.
Region 1g7o: 1/45 Southern Illinois, 1/32 West Illinois

Region 2a1: Minnesota minus it's sports teams
Region 2c89471: Minnesota's sports teams.
Region 2kzire907431-867-5309: Wisconsin land south of Hwy 14 and west of Hwy 61. The 7-11 next to Mrs Jones 2 acre watermelon patch.
Region 2bbccddeeff: Greenbay, WI, Cleveland, OH, Pittsburgh, PA, the top 1/2 of Michigan minus the Traverse City State Forest.

Region 3-55-6-18akd: Michigans Traverse City State Forest, 1/2 East Indiana, 1/16 Western Ohio, Kalamazoo, Michigan
Region 3-66-7-19akd: Western, PA, all the farms excluding the goats, of Central Illinois, 200 million gallons of Lake Michigan adjacent to Region 1a.
Region 3-77-9-22bcd: North Indianapolis, whatever's left of Indiana, Western, NY minus Buffalo.
Region 3-99-0-15lolol: Eastern Ohio, Eastern PA, West West Virginia, Buffalo, NY
Region 4z-mm-1: Lake Huron
Region 4x-nn-2: Wisconsin Land North of Hwy 14, West of 61 until I-90 but not including I-90
Region 4m-dd-yyyy: I-90, Northern and Eastern Iowa. Wisconsin west of I-90.

Old 06-17-2014, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhharu View Post
I have devised an extremely simple breakdown that I truly hope the Administrators at C-D utilize, while granting me all the accolades for such a brilliant and amazingly simplistic easy to read breakdown of the Great Lakes and Midwest. I present to you:

Region 1a: Northern 1/4 Illinois, East 1/4 Iowa, and the closest 100 million gallons of Lake Michigan and I-69's service roads.
Region 1b: 1/8 Northern Missouri, 1/8 Southern Iowa and the town of Quincy, IL and St Louis.
Region 1b1a: West 1/16 Indiana, 200 mile by 200 mile Central 1/16 Illinois and all goats but not the farms that said goats or their owners.
Region 1c3z: Central 1/8 Indiana, Indianapolis minus North Indianapolis and most of I-69, minus the service roads.
Region 1e5x: Southern 1/32 Indiana, Bob Sacamanta's 40 acre lot in North Kentucky, excluding the 7-11, but including Mrs Jones's 2 acre watermelon patch.
Region 1g7o: 1/45 Southern Illinois, 1/32 West Illinois

Region 2a1: Minnesota minus it's sports teams
Region 2c89471: Minnesota's sports teams.
Region 2kzire907431-867-5309: Wisconsin land south of Hwy 14 and west of Hwy 61. The 7-11 next to Mrs Jones 2 acre watermelon patch.
Region 2bbccddeeff: Greenbay, WI, Cleveland, OH, Pittsburgh, PA, the top 1/2 of Michigan minus the Traverse City State Forest.

Region 3-55-6-18akd: Michigans Traverse City State Forest, 1/2 East Indiana, 1/16 Western Ohio, Kalamazoo, Michigan
Region 3-66-7-19akd: Western, PA, all the farms excluding the goats, of Central Illinois, 200 million gallons of Lake Michigan adjacent to Region 1a.
Region 3-77-9-22bcd: North Indianapolis, whatever's left of Indiana, Western, NY minus Buffalo.
Region 3-99-0-15lolol: Eastern Ohio, Eastern PA, West West Virginia, Buffalo, NY
Region 4z-mm-1: Lake Huron
Region 4x-nn-2: Wisconsin Land North of Hwy 14, West of 61 until I-90 but not including I-90
Region 4m-dd-yyyy: I-90, Northern and Eastern Iowa. Wisconsin west of I-90.
Wow, that took some time. Funny though

Old 06-17-2014, 04:48 PM

1,704 posts, read 3,419,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForYourLungsOnly View Post
The term "Midwest" is used to describe such a large region that I often think it should be divided into 2 separate regions. This makes sense to me both geographically and for the fact that such a large region has many cultures. There's the industrial Midwest and Great Lakes region and then there is the more agricultural Great Planes states that lack the industrial component. Dividing the Midwest into the "Great Lakes Region" and "Midwest" like this kind of makes sense to me. Grouping North Dakota and Ohio in the same region just seems ridiculous to me. Just as ridiculous as saying Los Angeles and Seattle are in the same region and dubbing it "West".

Great Lakes Region: Ohio, Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana, Minnesota

Midwest: North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas, Iowa, Missouri
There's plenty of industry in Iowa and Missouri - look at cities like St. Louis and Davenport and even Cedar Rapids.

I have always considered the Great Lakes not as a subdivision of the Midwest, but as an independent region under the same umbrella as New England, the Great Plains, the Upper Midwest, and Cascadia. The boundaries of these regions don't fit nicely on state lines, and they also transcend the borders of the Census-designated regions (eg. Buffalo and Rochester and Hamilton are definitely part of the Great Lakes region, but they are not part of the Midwest).

Old 06-17-2014, 05:04 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,751,530 times
If NYC and upstate New York were separate states then we'd easily be able to make a perfect Great Lakes region though I do think giving the colored states of this map "Midwestern" term before the actual north central states (North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, and Kansas) is odd.

Old 06-17-2014, 05:09 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,048,610 times
culturally, I've noticed similarities between an area streching from Michigan, Wisonsin, and then far northern Indiana, northern Illinois from the Chicago area to the west, Ohio from Cleveland and Columbus and areas to the west and north, Minnesota from the Twin Cities to the east and south, and then Iowa from Des Moines and points to the east and north (Iowa City, Cedar Rapids, Dubuque and Waterloo).

Old 06-17-2014, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel03 View Post

I have always considered the Great Lakes not as a subdivision of the Midwest, but as an independent region under the same umbrella as New England, the Great Plains, the Upper Midwest, and Cascadia. The boundaries of these regions don't fit nicely on state lines, and they also transcend the borders of the Census-designated regions (eg. Buffalo and Rochester and Hamilton are definitely part of the Great Lakes region, but they are not part of the Midwest).
Definitely could agree with this. The Midwest is interesting as many of it's areas/sub-regions can't be classified because they don't fit state lines nicely (many of these states are huge). The New England/Great Planes independent region designation fits well for the Great Lakes region. That may have been the point I was trying to get across in the thread. State lines don't really work well for the Midwest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.