U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2014, 09:40 AM

620 posts, read 687,505 times

Advertisements

So the real northeast only includes 10 states northeast of Maryland and occupying a small part of the US (Delaware, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, New York, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont)? If that's the case, then MD, DC, WV, OH and VA should be placed in the Northeast too because all of those states and DC share metropolitan areas, transportation, etc. with the other 10 northeastern states.

Last edited by muppethammer26; 07-01-2014 at 09:50 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2014, 09:58 AM

17,250 posts, read 19,550,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
why are you combining New York City and Philadelphia? And Washington and Baltimore?
These metro areas are adjacent to one another, so it's hard for me to separate out all the zip codes. New York City, Washington DC and Boston are evidently the superstar wealthy metro areas of the northeast.

But the bigger point is the nearly continuous stretch of affluence which is associated with this corridor and the dropoff which occurs as one heads out of it in any direction.

Old 07-01-2014, 01:34 PM

28,266 posts, read 26,247,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
As you can see, there is a stark difference in the magnitude of these numbers between northern and southern metro areas. There are no southern metro areas with continuous yellow zip codes like what characterizes the northeast. This kind of data - wealth and educational level - provides a lot more clues about the lifestyles of people who live in a region and what they share in common rather than statistics about racial differences.
First, DC and Baltimore are not "northern" metros. Not even tcave360 agrees with you there. Besides, why not include all of that federal government-generated wealth in the South category, which is where the Census puts it.

Second, whites in the Philadelphia metro are actually less educated than whites in Atlanta, Dallas and Houston. And we're talking about the second largest metro in the Census-designated Northeast region here. So if high educational attainment is a hallmark of big northern cities, then sorry, we've got to count Philly out.

Old 07-01-2014, 02:39 PM

620 posts, read 687,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
First, DC and Baltimore are not "northern" metros. Not even tcave360 agrees with you there. Besides, why not include all of that federal government-generated wealth in the South category, which is where the Census puts it.

Second, whites in the Philadelphia metro are actually less educated than whites in Atlanta, Dallas and Houston. And we're talking about the second largest metro in the Census-designated Northeast region here. So if high educational attainment is a hallmark of big northern cities, then sorry, we've got to count Philly out.
The Census is one of the organizations that classifies the regions. I have found other organizations which classifies regions:

http://www.usgs.gov/aboutusgs/images...ns_2012_tn.jpg
http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/img/regionmap.gif
http://www.hhs.gov/about/images/hhsregions704.jpg

In my opinion, I think the first one should be most official. The last two has the Northeast in 3 sections. Combine the 3 sections and there you go, you have the Northeast.

Most of the organizations place Maryland and DC in the Northeast.

Old 07-03-2014, 10:48 PM

56 posts, read 61,385 times
I've considered DC and Baltimore to both be in the north, but they definitely have southern influences.

For those of you who say DC or Baltimore are "clearly" Northern or Southern, you're wrong, because obviously there are people who disagree with both viewpoints (which means it's not so clear). You can't write off half of people's opinions because they don't match yours. How do you sleep at night accusing anyone whose opinions you don't like as "ignorant"? Both sides have valid points.

I'd say it's neither (or both). We're Mid-Atlantic. Why can't we leave it like that? Do we HAVE to define it as "Southern" or "Northern"? We're not in the Civil War anymore: cultures have developed beyond the Northern vs Southern divide. That isn't to say it doesn't have Southern or Northern influences, but that you can't define these cities as one or the other.

Either way, the question doesn't ask us to define whether either city is southern or not: it just requires evaluating how southern they are. Even Philadelphia (clearly in the "North") has southern influences, so the question isn't, "Are these cities southern?" It's: "Which has more Southern influences?"

I'd actually say Baltimore is more Southern culturally, but more northern architecturally.

Old 07-04-2014, 11:19 AM

2,331 posts, read 3,807,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDS30 View Post
I never thought someone would be trying to argue that Baltimore has a southern draw lol
If you never been to Baltimore then you would not know.

Old 07-04-2014, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppethammer26 View Post
Can you please stop trying to claim Maryland as a Southern State? Maryland has always been a Northern State since its founding. Geographically, physically, politically, culturally, etc. northern. Even the northern border is on the same line as Indianapolis, IN, Dayton, OH, Wilmington, DE and Atlantic City, NJ. Why do you think the North should end at Pennsylvania's southern border/Delaware's western border and the South starts at Maryland's northern border?
Maryland and Delaware are Southern States. Sorry but that is the truth and if you are too narrow minded to accept it then that's your handicap.

Old 07-04-2014, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonTy View Post
I have been all over the south. DC and Bmore are not southern period in any way shape or form. Cities like Columbia,Charlotte,Atlanta,Montgomery,Jackson,Bilo xi,Greenville,Raleigh,Jacksonville, are "Southern". Can you please explain your rationale?
Thats your opinion and all you have proven is that you do not travel a much especially to Maryland and Delaware. If you Hate Maryland thats fine but your opinion of Maryland will not ever be of any proven facts.

And yes Maryland is a Southern State despite your discriminating hate towards the state of Maryland.

Old 07-04-2014, 11:48 AM

Quote:
I grew up in Prince George's County and now live in Montgomery County. I have never heard anyone consider this area southern IRL. It seems to be more controversial on the internet.

I have personally always thought of it as being northern in feel as well as in lifestyle/politics/culture.
It feels northern due to the MD/DC suburbs being a magnet for Northern Transplants such as the Jews and Irish.

Old 07-04-2014, 11:52 AM

Quote:
To me, even just a few characteristics about Washington DC and Maryland - such as the high cost of living, high taxes, high population density and very liberal politics including legalized same-sex marriage - are rather obviously at odds with the southern United States.

If DC and Maryland are southern, then somebody must be rolling over in their graves. These characteristics are completely northeastern.
1. You can not judge Maryland based off of DC and Politics.

Miami is very expensive and feel like the Caribbean but does that make Florida non-southern and moreof a Caribbean extension like Guyana.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or