U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 07-04-2014, 11:54 AM
 
Location: Colorado
1,524 posts, read 2,261,726 times
Reputation: 2168

Advertisements

DC because of it's proximity to southern places (the rest of Virginia). Baltimore is a blue collar northern city like Philly.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-04-2014, 11:54 AM
 
2,331 posts, read 3,805,213 times
Reputation: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
If the presence of African Americans make a place more southern, then is Washington, D.C. more southern than NOVA? Is Maryland more southern than Virginia?
Maryland Eastern Shore is more Southern than Northern Virginia...
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2014, 12:15 PM
 
2,331 posts, read 3,805,213 times
Reputation: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKnight View Post
I dont understsand why some people seem to think that DC and Baltimore are part of "the south" when in reality they are considered part of the north.. I grew up in the South and whenver DC or Baltimore came up in a conversation it was always referred to as "the north" and "Northeast" cities.. I currently live in DC and I assure you there is NOTHING "southern" about DC.. The people, attitudes, cultures, infrastructure, etc. are all characteristic of a northeastern city..
Well you are admitting that people in the deep south are not intelligent and/or too proud to be ignorant of their little discriminating opinions similar to the Jim Crow mind set.

And you wonder why most people who are not from the deep south have little to no respect for dem deep southern good ol' boys...
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2014, 12:19 PM
 
2,331 posts, read 3,805,213 times
Reputation: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Some people try to base their argument on historical purposes which is debatable but a lot of the arguments for DC and Baltimore being part of the South are largely based on delusion.
Only Ignorant narrow minded people from the deep south(including carpet baggers) would pass that above opinion as facts but that is one of the tools that lead to most people who are not from the south to view most deep southerners as socially ignorant.

Last edited by $mk8795; 07-04-2014 at 12:41 PM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2014, 12:26 PM
 
2,331 posts, read 3,805,213 times
Reputation: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post
DC because of it's proximity to southern places (the rest of Virginia). Baltimore is a blue collar northern city like Philly.
For someone who more than likely never been to Maryland(save the location bs because I can put China as my location but that does not mean I have traveled to Asia) can not pass the above discriminating opinion as facts.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2014, 09:02 PM
Status: "Retired" (set 25 days ago)
 
620 posts, read 686,962 times
Reputation: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
Maryland and Delaware are Southern States. Sorry but that is the truth and if you are too narrow minded to accept it then that's your handicap.
If Maryland, Delaware and parts of West Virginia are southern states, then so is parts of Missouri, Kansas, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio and New Jersey south of the Mason Dixon Line. But that would exclude the northern panhandle of West Virginia as well as a small part of Delaware north of the Mason Dixon Line if extended east.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2014, 10:29 AM
 
2,331 posts, read 3,805,213 times
Reputation: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppethammer26 View Post
If Maryland, Delaware and parts of West Virginia are southern states, then so is parts of Missouri, Kansas, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio and New Jersey south of the Mason Dixon Line. But that would exclude the northern panhandle of West Virginia as well as a small part of Delaware north of the Mason Dixon Line if extended east.
And if thats your argument to dispute the fact that Maryland and Delaware are Southern states then Virginia and North Carolina are Northeastern Sates along with Kentucky being part of the Great Lakes Mid-West, Florida being the Northern end of the Caribbean, Oklahoma/Texas being part of the Southwest/Northern Mexico extension.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2014, 11:20 PM
Status: "Retired" (set 25 days ago)
 
620 posts, read 686,962 times
Reputation: 243
How about we have Illinois, Indiana and Ohio give away their southern portions to Kentucky and have Delaware take over parts of New Jersey south of the Mason Dixon Line. The people who live in the southern portions of each northern state have more in common with its southern neighbors. Makes more fair like that, $mk8795. Marion, Evansville, Cincinnati and Atlantic City would become southern cities overnight. From Atlantic City, DE to Key West, FL to Brownsville, TX to Cincinnati, KY.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2014, 11:41 AM
 
1 posts, read 465 times
Reputation: 10
Default DC=South

DC is more southern from its geographical location, to its architecture, to its accents, to its fashion etc...
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2014, 01:17 PM
 
4,953 posts, read 8,535,344 times
Reputation: 2067
DC is more cosmo and sophisticated. Baltimore is definitely more southern. Ask someone to say the word dog. That will tell you a lot.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top