U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-26-2014, 06:31 PM
 
Location: BMORE!
7,739 posts, read 6,132,233 times
Reputation: 3582

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diff1 View Post
How is it like saying that when both of these cities started out as southern cities and still to this day have subtle southern traits.
What are the southern traits of both cities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-26-2014, 07:50 PM
 
781 posts, read 1,093,632 times
Reputation: 609
Must we go over this again??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2014, 07:31 AM
 
4,953 posts, read 8,535,344 times
Reputation: 2067
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
What are the southern traits of both cities?
People in DC and Baltimore eat fried chicken so it must be southern! LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2014, 09:18 AM
 
Location: USA
8,016 posts, read 9,476,913 times
Reputation: 3406
DC and Maryland is not really all that northern to a northern person but it is northern to a southern person, so I get what the op is trying to say. Sometimes you see the occasional rebel flag as you venture south of Philadelphia just to remind you where you are going I guess.


I think people from DC see themselves as everything at the same time tho (N,S,E,W).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2014, 11:14 AM
 
Location: East Coast of the United States
17,219 posts, read 19,525,937 times
Reputation: 12961
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
DC and Maryland is not really all that northern to a northern person but it is northern to a southern person, so I get what the op is trying to say. Sometimes you see the occasional rebel flag as you venture south of Philadelphia just to remind you where you are going I guess.


I think people from DC see themselves as everything at the same time tho (N,S,E,W).
I grew up in Prince George's County and now live in Montgomery County. I have never heard anyone consider this area southern IRL. It seems to be more controversial on the internet.

I have personally always thought of it as being northern in feel as well as in lifestyle/politics/culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2014, 11:55 AM
 
Location: Anchorage, Alaska (South Central Region)
267 posts, read 238,843 times
Reputation: 245
Is D.C. More Southern or Northern? Dialect May Offer A Clue | WAMU 88.5 - American University Radio

Is Baltimore A Southern City | Are we Northern? Southern? Yes. - Baltimore Sun

I think these two interesting articles will answer many people questions about District Of Columbia and Baltimore being southern or northern cities.

I was born and raised in the upper Midwest, Wisconsin to be exact.

I never been to D.C and Baltimore but always thought the residents there are country (no offense). I remember when my teacher taught geography with a big map hanging on the wall in the classroom and the states was combined into different regions on the map in elementary school back in the day, I learned Maryland was considered a southern state even though it fought for the union.

I'm not sure how kids being taught geography today, but what I think they include Maryland and Washington DC part of the south because not only its below the imaginary line but maybe the confederate soldiers from Virginia & North Carolina fought the union soldiers in Maryland and Washington D.C during the civil war.

When I think of a southern city, D.C and Baltimore doesn't come to mind at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2014, 12:23 PM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
28,248 posts, read 26,220,119 times
Reputation: 11701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balddude View Post
'm not sure how kids being taught geography today, but what I think they include Maryland and Washington DC part of the south because not only its below the imaginary line but maybe the confederate soldiers from Virginia & North Carolina fought the union soldiers in Maryland and Washington D.C during the civil war.
We were never "taught" U.S. geography. American geography arose occasionally in social studies and history classes, particularly when studying the pre-revolutionary period, sectionalism, and the antebellum period. By the time we had an actual course focused exclusively on georgraphy, we were studying world geography rather than U.S. geography.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2014, 12:52 PM
 
Location: Prince George's County, Maryland
6,212 posts, read 7,382,929 times
Reputation: 2581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balddude View Post
Is D.C. More Southern or Northern? Dialect May Offer A Clue | WAMU 88.5 - American University Radio

Is Baltimore A Southern City | Are we Northern? Southern? Yes. - Baltimore Sun

I think these two interesting articles will answer many people questions about District Of Columbia and Baltimore being southern or northern cities.

I was born and raised in the upper Midwest, Wisconsin to be exact.

I never been to D.C and Baltimore but always thought the residents there are country (no offense). I remember when my teacher taught geography with a big map hanging on the wall in the classroom and the states was combined into different regions on the map in elementary school back in the day, I learned Maryland was considered a southern state even though it fought for the union.

I'm not sure how kids being taught geography today, but what I think they include Maryland and Washington DC part of the south because not only its below the imaginary line but maybe the confederate soldiers from Virginia & North Carolina fought the union soldiers in Maryland and Washington D.C during the civil war.

When I think of a southern city, D.C and Baltimore doesn't come to mind at all.
DC wasn't attacked during the Civil War, especially since had Maryland gone to the Confederacy, things probably would've turned out differently. However, I don't think one region having troops in another is indicative of a state's regional position. I mean, there were Confederate troops in Pennsylvania...

Very informative links btw.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2014, 01:37 PM
 
Location: USA
8,016 posts, read 9,476,913 times
Reputation: 3406
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I grew up in Prince George's County and now live in Montgomery County. I have never heard anyone consider this area southern IRL. It seems to be more controversial on the internet.

I have personally always thought of it as being northern in feel as well as in lifestyle/politics/culture.

I guess it is hard to know what I mean if you're not from philly on up.
That's why people say Baltimore reminds them of the north, but that's
only because of the skyline I think, even tho that's not the only town in
Maryland that has tall buildings. It's the first city going north on I-95
outside of DC with the big city industrial look to it plus some of the
buildings are taller than the Washington monument.

The main thing that separates Maryland from the Northeast is many
of the natives outside of the DC area have a slight southern accent
that you won't find outside of southeastern new jersey and delaware.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2014, 01:44 PM
 
Location: BMORE!
7,739 posts, read 6,132,233 times
Reputation: 3582
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
I guess it is hard to know what I mean if you're not from philly on up.
That's why people say Baltimore reminds them of the north, but that's
only because of the skyline I think, even tho that's not the only town in
Maryland that has tall buildings. It's the first city going north on I-95
outside of DC with the big city industrial look to it plus some of the
buildings are taller than the Washington monument.

The main thing that separates Maryland from the Northeast is many
of the natives outside of the DC area have a slight southern accent
that you won't find outside of southeastern new jersey and delaware.
Many natives in the DC area have a slight southern accent. That's their native dialect. It almost sounds like a Hampton Roads kind of accent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top