U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2014, 10:06 PM

854 posts, read 1,111,631 times

Advertisements

Considering these states are traditional and geographically eastern, and have nothing in common with the West, wouldn't it make more sense to consider them northeastern states? Especially somewhere like Ohio, which is as far east as Florida and South Carolina.

Even states like North Dakota have more of a humid and settled "eastern" character with cold snowy winters and muggy summers, in many ways it's more similar to New Jersey or Massachusetts than it is to neighboring Montana which has a mild and dry climate and more liberal values.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2014, 10:18 PM

279 posts, read 364,275 times
North Dakota has more in common with New Jersey than it does with Montana? What are they teaching kids in schools nowadays?

Old 06-18-2014, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Wine View Post
North Dakota has more in common with New Jersey than it does with Montana? What are they teaching kids in schools nowadays?

Well - in a way I mean. Montanans tend to be more progressive/atheistic and "live and let live" while North Dakota is a farming state with deep roots and more Christian/conservative values. And climatically Montana is similar to the West Coast in the sense it's dry and has (for its elevation and latitude) mild winters while North Dakota has sticky summers and brutal cold winters like the states east of it. Aside from occasional bouts of extreme cold Montana winters aren't that much worse than the upland South - it's above 0C nearly half of the time even during the coldest part of the year in many parts of the state. While ND is pretty much always freezing cold.

I think the Mountain states have a lot in common with California outside of the major cities and the Great Plains are the westernmost part of the "greater East".

Old 06-18-2014, 10:41 PM

32,364 posts, read 59,796,813 times

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicymeatball View Post
Well - in a way I mean. Montanans tend to be more progressive/atheistic and "live and let live" while North Dakota is a farming state with deep roots and more Christian/conservative values.
I'm sure you've learned this in all your vast travels, talking with each and every resident of every state in the midwest, and the northeast, and ...

Old 06-18-2014, 11:05 PM

5,239 posts, read 6,759,112 times
Should the Midwest be renamed the "Inland Northeast"?

No, it's too long and confusing and people would continue using the old name anyway. Just what prompted this topic?

Old 06-18-2014, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post

I'm sure you've learned this in all your vast travels, talking with each and every resident of every state in the midwest, and the northeast, and ...
Key phrase: tend to be.

Old 06-18-2014, 11:45 PM

1,704 posts, read 2,761,283 times
Quote:
Well - in a way I mean. Montanans tend to be more progressive/atheistic and "live and let live" while North Dakota is a farming state with deep roots and more Christian/conservative values. And climatically Montana is similar to the West Coast in the sense it's dry and has (for its elevation and latitude) mild winters while North Dakota has sticky summers and brutal cold winters like the states east of it. Aside from occasional bouts of extreme cold Montana winters aren't that much worse than the upland South - it's above 0C nearly half of the time even during the coldest part of the year in many parts of the state. While ND is pretty much always freezing cold.

I think the Mountain states have a lot in common with California outside of the major cities and the Great Plains are the westernmost part of the "greater East".
? How much time have you spent in North Dakota? Or Montana, for that matter? Western North and South Dakota hardly even deserve to be included in the Midwest, they're as Western as Utah and Wyoming, in culture and in climate.

And I don't know where you're getting your climate data, but Montana has some of the most extreme weather in the country. And regardless, "aside from occasional bouts of extreme cold...it's above 0C nearly half the time)" describes winter in many parts of the Midwest.

I don't know if I can think of two less similar states than North Dakota and New Jersey tbh.

Old 06-18-2014, 11:45 PM

76 posts, read 108,322 times
So, North Dakota is more like New Jersey and Massachusetts because it's "a farming state with deep roots and more Christian/conservative values", and Montana has "mild winters"?? FYI, Much of Montana is on the Great Plains.

All that aside, I actually think I understand what you're trying to say, although your examples are way off. I suppose some of the Midwest seems more "eastern" than "western". But the term "Midwest" doesn't mean it has anything in common with California or Washington. The term exists because it's in the Middle, and in the direction our country was settled it was also West for most people. At one time the current Midwest was actually called the Northwest.

Old 06-18-2014, 11:49 PM

38,690 posts, read 89,169,700 times
Quote:
Should the Midwest be renamed the "Inland Northeast"?
No.

Old 06-18-2014, 11:54 PM

38,690 posts, read 89,169,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodchucker View Post
So, North Dakota is more like New Jersey and Massachusetts because it's "a farming state with deep roots and more Christian/conservative values", and Montana has "mild winters"?? FYI, Much of Montana is on the Great Plains.

All that aside, I actually think I understand what you're trying to say, although your examples are way off. I suppose some of the Midwest seems more "eastern" than "western". But the term "Midwest" doesn't mean it has anything in common with California or Washington. The term exists because it's in the Middle, and in the direction our country was settled it was also West for most people. At one time the current Midwest was actually called the Northwest.
Hence Northwestern University, located in Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.