Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2014, 02:49 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,404,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyraBrian View Post
I think North Carolina is closer to having an average economy than a good economy. The state's unemployment rate is 6.4% to the nation's 6.3% and the state's labor force participation rate is 61.3% to the nation's 62.8%.

By contrast, Illinois' unemployment rate is 7.5% but its labor force participation rate is an above average 65.1%.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
West Virginia (mountainous, rural, little formal education, lots of conservative Democrats) and New Jersey (flat, suburban, many are college-educated, a lot of liberal Republicans)

Illinois (crappy economy, few transplants, boring topography, cold, center-left politics with a history of far-left US Senators) and North Carolina (good economy, many transplants, diverse geography, hot, center-right politics with a history of far-right US Senators).

Illinois also has a lot of transplants (nearly double the % of foreign born population of NC as of the 2010 census) and isn't "cold" throughout a large portion of the year, especially southern Illinois, which is at a latitude lower than parts of KY, VA, WV and all of MD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2014, 04:23 PM

202 posts, read 320,093 times
When will people stop talking negatively on Mississippi 😔. I think Current day Arizona is more in line with your imagery of Mississippi then what Mississippi actually does anymore.

Old 06-22-2014, 04:40 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,089,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
Minnesota-Connecticut
Maine-Arizona
Idaho-Massachusetts
Wyoming-New York
California-Mississippi

You could generalize to regions:
New England-Southwest
West Coast-Deep South
Mid Atlantic-Midwest
Southeast-Northwest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Minnesota-Conecticut? How so? I'm curious.
As am I.

Old 06-22-2014, 07:28 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,860,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidd_funkadelic View Post
When will people stop talking negatively on Mississippi 😔. I think Current day Arizona is more in line with your imagery of Mississippi then what Mississippi actually does anymore.
Mississippi is far from perfect and often looks bad on paper (especially to isolated eggheads reading about it from afar and basing opinions on all that), BUT it isn't nearly as bad as some of these people think.
A lot of ignorance based on antiquated stereotypes still exists.
It is an American state, which means it is better off than a huge chunk of the world.
It wouldn't be my first choice, but I'd take Mississippi over most east coast states, except for northern New England perhaps.

Old 06-22-2014, 07:39 PM

1,485 posts, read 2,252,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
Mississippi is far from perfect and often looks bad on paper (especially to isolated eggheads reading about it from afar and basing opinions on all that), BUT it isn't nearly as bad as some of these people think.
A lot of ignorance based on antiquated stereotypes still exists.
It is an American state, which means it is better off than a huge chunk of the world.
It wouldn't be my first choice, but I'd take Mississippi over most east coast states, except for northern New England perhaps.
Mississippi gets unfairly picked on because it's at (or at least near) the bottom of most statistical categories measuring a state's well-being such as income, education, health, etc. (Yes, there are plenty of healthy, industrious, tolerant and educated folks living in MS but they don't brag about it).

As the old saying goes, one man's trash is another man's treasure. MS has something many, many other states don't have, and that's character. It has one of the most interesting histories of any state (some good, some bad. And IMHO its history and contributions blow my current state of residence, Alabama's, out of the water) and anyone who has done the slightest amount of research on the state can attest to that.

Old 06-22-2014, 08:52 PM

1,943 posts, read 1,488,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fezzador View Post
Mississippi gets unfairly picked on because it's at (or at least near) the bottom of most statistical categories measuring a state's well-being such as income, education, health, etc. (Yes, there are plenty of healthy, industrious, tolerant and educated folks living in MS but they don't brag about it).

As the old saying goes, one man's trash is another man's treasure. MS has something many, many other states don't have, and that's character. It has one of the most interesting histories of any state (some good, some bad. And IMHO its history and contributions blow my current state of residence, Alabama's, out of the water) and anyone who has done the slightest amount of research on the state can attest to that.
Mississippi's overtly Evangelical nature, coupled with it's stubborn social backwardness isn't a character I would want to be associated with.

Old 06-23-2014, 03:17 AM

202 posts, read 320,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1562 View Post
Mississippi's overtly Evangelical nature, coupled with it's stubborn social backwardness isn't a character I would want to be associated with.
You could find a wealthy interracial atheist gay liberal couple living in Jackson, Mississippi just as easily as you could find a poor overtly religious bigoted overweight conservative family in Philadelphia

Old 06-23-2014, 05:54 AM

1,943 posts, read 1,488,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidd_funkadelic View Post
You could find a wealthy interracial atheist gay liberal couple living in Jackson, Mississippi just as easily as you could find a poor overtly religious bigoted overweight conservative family in Philadelphia
Of course you could. But if I was looking for poor, overly religious, bigoted fat people, Mississippi would be one of the first places I'd think to look, not Philadelphia. But certainly not Jackson either.

Old 06-23-2014, 09:05 AM

1,312 posts, read 2,168,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Minnesota-Conecticut? How so? I'm curious.
Same. This one makes the least sense so far.

Old 06-23-2014, 12:18 PM

996 posts, read 1,897,269 times
New Jersey being listed as opposite of West Virginia is a bit funny to me because of how many Jersey kids go to WVU. Good comparison though, especially with the Blue Dog Dems in WV vs the Rockefeller Repubs parallel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.