U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-16-2007, 10:26 AM
 
419 posts, read 1,846,704 times
Reputation: 375

Advertisements

I have friends I keep in touch with from college who live in rural dominated Midwest and mountain States. They insist that life in better socially, culturally and psychologically in places like Iowa, Minnesota, the Dakotas, Montana, etc., than places like Maryland, New Jersey and CA.

They insist that the culture of the Midwest and the Mountain States are more old fashioned traditional American values and as a result there is less:

dishonesty
unfriendliness
broken families
bad schools
broken government
corruption

Does anyone have an opinion or statistics to back this up or knock it down?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-16-2007, 12:24 PM
 
Location: Maryland not Murlin
8,193 posts, read 22,333,621 times
Reputation: 6158
Life is more laid back and rural. People here place more of an emphasis on living life rather then bicker about politics or money-although both do happen on occasion. I also think that the high levels of alcohol consumption might play a role in that .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2007, 01:03 PM
 
3,596 posts, read 7,707,851 times
Reputation: 2878
Mountain states, maybe. In most of the midwest, no. The midwest does not at all have a laidback culture-- even in the "rural" areas we are a very hurried, very fast moving people that like things done on time. No, we like things done before they ought to have been done.

Last edited by coldwine; 12-16-2007 at 01:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2007, 01:09 PM
 
Location: Denver, CO
5,608 posts, read 20,723,022 times
Reputation: 5347
Bull ****. Didn't you hear about what happened last week in Colorado, with two different churches shot up? What about a week before that-- when someone came into a mall in Omaha with a machine gun and massacred a bunch of people? Ever heard of Columbine High School? Ever heard of the neonazis in northern ID? To think there are fewer social problems in "Midwest and Mountain States," which, BTW, are two very different regions in their own right, is plain stupid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2007, 01:19 PM
 
Location: St. Louis, MO
3,742 posts, read 6,907,044 times
Reputation: 660
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
Mountain states, maybe. In most of the midwest, no. The midwest does not at all have a laidback culture-- in the "rural" areas we are a very hurried, very fast moving people that like things done on time. No, we like things done before they ought to have been done.
I agree with that statement 100%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2007, 01:42 PM
 
3,596 posts, read 7,707,851 times
Reputation: 2878
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
I agree with that statement 100%.
That should have been "even in the rural areas", I've amended it in my original.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2007, 01:50 PM
 
Location: Scarsdale, NY
2,775 posts, read 10,722,972 times
Reputation: 794
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Bull ****. Didn't you hear about what happened last week in Colorado, with two different churches shot up? What about a week before that-- when someone came into a mall in Omaha with a machine gun and massacred a bunch of people? Ever heard of Columbine High School? Ever heard of the neonazis in northern ID? To think there are fewer social problems in "Midwest and Mountain States," which, BTW, are two very different regions in their own right, is plain stupid.
That’s nothing compared to what will go on in NYC, Chicago, and LA. A few incidents isn’t going to determine whether or not an entire region has social problems. Yes, every region does, but when you compare the “drama” that goes on in major eastern and western cities, Idaho is as safe as Heaven.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2007, 01:55 PM
 
Location: Land of 10000 Lakes + some
2,885 posts, read 1,513,093 times
Reputation: 346
I wouldn't say better socially or culturally at all. The East has all that and then some. Don't misunderstand. This is not to say the Midwest does NOT have this. I think psychologically the Midwest might be somewhat better off - fewer people can cause less stress.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2007, 07:11 PM
 
2,248 posts, read 6,208,846 times
Reputation: 2078
Quote:
Originally Posted by questioner2 View Post
I have friends I keep in touch with from college who live in rural dominated Midwest and mountain States. They insist that life in better socially, culturally and psychologically in places like Iowa, Minnesota, the Dakotas, Montana, etc., than places like Maryland, New Jersey and CA.

They insist that the culture of the Midwest and the Mountain States are more old fashioned traditional American values and as a result there is less:

dishonesty
unfriendliness
broken families
bad schools
broken government
corruption

Does anyone have an opinion or statistics to back this up or knock it down?
I would agree. However, those parts aren't exactly progressive either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2007, 10:04 PM
j33
 
4,625 posts, read 12,869,099 times
Reputation: 1668
Oh yes, those nice little cities in the midwest like Detroit are just devoid of social problems
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top