U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 01:09 PM
Status: "Nobody's right if everybody's wrong" (set 24 days ago)

9,829 posts, read 21,135,718 times

Advertisements

The Great Plains into the flatlands in central IL / IN /OH are pretty accent neutral but northern and southern areas of the Midwest do have noticeable accents. My father in law is a Southern Indiana native. He sounds like a Yupper (UP of Michign resident) trying to impersonate a southern accent LOL. He has his own vocabulary.

Wheelbarrow = wheel berry
washing machine - warshing machine

I need a translator to understand people from the Scandinavian settled areas of the Great Lakes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2014, 01:28 PM

4,668 posts, read 6,111,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExpatInUSA View Post
I wasn't going to respond anymore but you want to talk about growing a thicker skin? The main reason I left St Louis was because the inability to go anywhere without getting hit on was getting tiring. As a then-24-year-old woman who is in shape and dresses nicely, I got hit on at least once a day, and I say AT LEAST once a day, meaning on some days it was more like 5 or 6 times. The St Louis men all seem to be sex-starved and you don't know what having a "thick skin" means until you've had random men grabbing your arm, shoulders, hands, etc when they don't even know you. It was an endless "where are you from?" closely followed by a "do you have a boyfriend?" On at least one occasion I felt like I was going to get raped by this one man who I considered a friend but locked the doors to his car and refused to let me out until I kicked him.

Don't tell me to grow a "thicker skin" until you know what it feels like to constantly feel like you're going to be raped every single second of your existence.

Oh Gawd...So dramatic.

Old 06-25-2014, 05:38 PM

1,704 posts, read 2,761,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
not just rural Minnesota but many of the man/woman-on-the-street interviews the local news stations do here in town could be the bit players from the movie. A more pronounced husker-doo accent can be heard on the radio call-ins on K-FAN, 'CCO and the like. People here tend not to hear it because it's so prevelant.

this is a real TC commercial, not an out-take from the movie 'Fargo'...end of story.

Garage Door Repair Commercial - YouTube
This is really not that similar to the accent used in the movie and FX series.
Trust me, we can tell when people have thick Upper Midwest accents no matter where in the Upper Midwest we are from. The accent in the clip you posted is no more prevalent in the Twin Cities or even Duluth or Fargo than a thick southern drawl is in Austin or Dallas - ie: it is neither common nor unheard of. I personally don't know more than five or six people at the most under the age of 50 who speak with that thick an accent (and that example still doesn't even come close to the - very loving - parody in the either movie or the series of Fargo).

Old 06-25-2014, 08:36 PM

7,594 posts, read 9,446,457 times
I've actually been in Fargo twice, and there is certainly an accent--the movie may have exaggerated it a little, but it's definitely there..with its very strong "long O" sound..

Old 06-25-2014, 11:23 PM

21,318 posts, read 21,877,253 times
here are some more real-life examples of the typical Minnesota accent widely heard throughout the state there then

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=6sPF0AUxotI

Old 06-25-2014, 11:28 PM

9,012 posts, read 8,310,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
The Upper Midwest (from Michigan to Minnesota) tends to speak nasally while the Midwest which borders the South (Missouri, Southern Ohio, Southern Illinois, etc) tends to speak more with a drawl. Probably the most neutral Midwestern accent which your friends were thinking comes from the middle...i.e. Columbus, Cleveland, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, etc.
I find the various accents really interesting to decipher, lol
Being from the Midwest, what I always get, though are people who don't believe me...
They say I have an upstate NY accent

Old 06-26-2014, 07:36 PM

1,161 posts, read 1,441,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
I've actually been in Fargo twice, and there is certainly an accent--the movie may have exaggerated it a little, but it's definitely there..with its very strong "long O" sound..
Yep. It's similar to the Canadian accent, minus the slightly British pronunciations and sayings, (for instance, 'about' and 'house' sound roughly like 'aboat' and 'hoase') and can be heard all over North Dakota, much of Minnesota, eastern South Dakota and northern Wisconsin and Michigan (Yoopers).

Old 06-27-2014, 12:19 PM

11,810 posts, read 18,796,055 times
Maybe it's not their accents; maybe it's your ears?

Old 04-14-2015, 08:44 PM

1 posts, read 1,283 times
Everyone has an accent. I was from Illinois, then Washington, DC and now Florida and I've traveled the world. Everyone speaks differently and it's okay. Not right or wrong. My Cuban and Polish friends refer to my accent and we have interesting discussions comparing pronunciation notes.

Ethnocentrics deny they have accents. In my fair lady, Henry Higgins could tell down to the block where an individual was raised.

Old 04-14-2015, 08:49 PM

3,280 posts, read 3,831,308 times
The WI/MN/Upper Michigan "Fargo" Accent is hard to understand, especially when people speak quietly/mumble. I always had to ask people to repeat stuff when I lived there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or