Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2016, 07:53 PM

249 posts, read 504,411 times

Advertisements

I have live in the Midwest for 30 years I have never heard these examples. I know this post is two years late but I just ran across it. I am in Iowa right now
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2017, 08:25 PM

1 posts, read 1,479 times
ExpatInUSA, it not you it is us. We in the midwest do have a nastily sound. It is because we all talk through are nose. I am from Chicago Illinois, and I know I sound very nastily to those not from the midwest. We had a mayor, and he was very nastily even to us in Chicago. I have a friend, from Michigan that is even more nastily, then people from Chicago.

When someone tells you they don't sound nastily make a recording of there voice, and let them hear them self, they will be shocked. I know, I am was the first time I heard my self. And, I still am.

Old 04-12-2017, 08:27 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,100,386 times
The Midwest is an expansive region. I can attest that there certainly are distinct accents native to Chicago, Cleveland, Southern Ohio, Wisconsin, Minnesota etc.

Old 04-13-2017, 05:43 PM

657 posts, read 802,217 times
The Midwesterners do have distinct accents.

Old 04-13-2017, 07:35 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,888,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.J240 View Post
The Midwesterners do have distinct accents.
Interesting, as there are many "accents" in the Midwest. For example, people in Missouri don't have the same accent as those in Minnesota, Wisconsin, Ohio, etc. There is no "one" Midwest accent.

Old 04-14-2017, 03:48 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,895,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
Interesting, as there are many "accents" in the Midwest. For example, people in Missouri don't have the same accent as those in Minnesota, Wisconsin, Ohio, etc. There is no "one" Midwest accent.
I will have to agree with this. The Midwest is a large region of the country, and an accent from Cleveland is quite different from one in St. Louis for one example. I lived in Detroit, MI for 10 years and have traveled all over the Midwest and can attest to the fact that there is no one "Midwestern accent".

I'm from the Northeast and find many of the Midwestern accents easy to understand.

The ones that are more difficult for me to understand are the ones from the Gulf Coast region.

I love the northern WI and Minneapolis accents to name 2 of my favorite ones

Old 05-31-2017, 11:53 AM

174 posts, read 194,360 times
St Louis-speak is hardly representative of the Midwest, to my ear, it has a bit of the Delta. You might need to get out and around more, as there is a great deal of regional, and even local, variation. There are, or were, urban/suburban/rural differences as well.

I think, maybe, the "standard accent" probably centers along Interstate 80 from eastern Ohio through western Iowa. Your ear may differ.

Old 05-31-2017, 01:10 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,191,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eolector View Post
St Louis-speak is hardly representative of the Midwest, to my ear, it has a bit of the Delta. You might need to get out and around more, as there is a great deal of regional, and even local, variation. There are, or were, urban/suburban/rural differences as well.

I think, maybe, the "standard accent" probably centers along Interstate 80 from eastern Ohio through western Iowa. Your ear may differ.
I would agree with that, although maybe it's because I lived 1,000 feet from I-80 growing up in Iowa and now live in an area of Chicago with tons of transplants.

I think there's a default accent to the Midwest - which sounds very "general" and doesn't have a lot of peculiarities that runs from Cleveland to Detroit to Chicago/Milwaukee to Minneapolis and then down to Omaha and the entire state of Iowa.

That general region sounds exactly the same to me. I grew up in Iowa, married a guy from Detroit suburbs, we live in Chicago and I have a lot of friends from southern Wisconsin and know people from Minneapolis. All sounds the same.

Once you get to northern Michigan and Wisconsin and definitely northern Minnesota and North Dakota I hear accents, and areas south of Iowa or northern Illinois can sound different. I hear it around St Louis.

Old 05-31-2017, 06:29 PM

2,694 posts, read 3,188,830 times
I can definitely hear the difference between someone from a city like Minneapolis and a city like Chicago. I personally have friends around my age (mid-20s) from the Twin Cities who actively worked to change their accents but still say words like "bag" in a way someone from Chicago never would.

As for St. Louis, it's essentially an island when it comes to its accent. Venture too far out from the core of the metro and something of a twang starts creeping into the accent. That being said, St. Louis is also going through the Northern Cities Vowel Shift. It's not as pronounced as it is in places like Chicago as of yet, but it's probably more pronounced in the youth than the old school St. Louis accent is where Os became As (ex: Highway Farty-Far) at this point.

The St. Louis Accent: An Explainer - Citylab.com

Last edited by PerseusVeil; 05-31-2017 at 06:38 PM..

Old 05-31-2017, 06:45 PM

6,769 posts, read 5,485,821 times
ExpatinUSA:

Don't get upset, please keep up with your post, some people are rude, some are sensitive about their "accents", or what they perceive as "lack of one".

You have to remember, the USA grew to be the "Great Melting Pot" because of people like you, and my ancestors who came from different countries. There are differing dialects or accents across this Great Country, no one in particular is "right", as this WAS a British colony, and we could all be speaking with a British Accent.

I assure you, your "proper English" was most likely taught British style {many foreign countries teach British style English, or it is learned from a former or current British colony}; and, no matter how long you studied it, or where you have lived, YOU, too, have an accent.

I am from Upstate NY, where WE think WE have no accent. We certainly DON'T have the "New YAWK city or LonGGGGIland" accents.

I have been to, and have relatives who live, all over the USA.

I once moved to Massachusettes, well outside Boston, and worked in a retail store for the summer. One young girl brought back a chair, disassembled, and said it had "no pots to it". I looked quizzically at it and {probably rudely} said "it's a chair, of course there are no pots to it" {thinking of the pots and pans sets we also sold}. Se again confirmed for me it "had no pots to it". I finally realized what she meant, and I said "oh, you mean it has no paRts to it". She said "yeah, it has no pots"...apparently she understood me better than I did her. I learned the mass-ite, or more correctly the Bostonian accents very quickly. They add "R"s to words where they don't belong, and don't pronounce the "r"s where they should be. They really DO "pahk their cahs in Hahvahd Yahd" {Park their cars in Harvard Yard}. But they will also eat a "Bananer" {banana}.

My father is from the "Midwest"...meaning Southern Illinois, and has been "north" in Michigan and Upstate NY long enough he has an entirely different accent from his brother, who has always been a southern Illionisan, who has a southern drawl. My father still "waRshes" {washes} things, watches "wrasseling" {Wrestling}, and drinks "pop" }{soda} however. My mother was from the "midwest" too..meaning southern Michigan, and has/says/pronounces words similar to here in Upstate New YoRk, which I am SURE to others NOT from HERE, is an accent unto itself...

My grandmother {Rest her soul} was born in the very beginning of the last century, was from south Eastern Appalachians, and had a "southern" accent. She drove through the "Calinas" {CaROlinas} on her way to Florida, used the "N" word towards all blacks she saw {African Americans, though I still use the word "black" to describe them, as I grew up with that}, among other "things" {coloquialisms, regionalisms or accents} in her speech.

I have a friend who was raised in Denver, Colorado, the first time we spoke, I had some trouble understanding his accent and speech patterns, as I have never been there. He had moved here.

I work in a hotel here, and can tell you we get travelers from all over the USA, as well as foreign countries; whom I may have trouble understanding, either in person, or on the phone when they call for a reservation.

I know some people in, lets say Tennesee {?}, "mash" a button, instead of "pushing" or "pressing" the button, like the button on an elevator, for instance.

I was once, I think age 6 or 7, and we went to visit my grandmother in her retirement home in Florida. When we got to Georgia, we stopped at a rest are/welcome center. A black gentleman was cleaning the glass on the door, and moved aside saying "Yawall come git along, now, I'll git outta yawall's way" {you all come along, I'll get out of your way} with a very HEAVY southern drawl. Out of the man's earshot, I said to my father "did you hear that FOREIGNER back there"? My father laughed and said "no, son, WERE the foreigners"!!!!

Ultimately, you are in THEIR territory, you have to learn HOW they speak, and HOW they communicate. YOU have the accent to THEM.

My mother always said she'd like to hear a Bostonian try to communicate with a deep Southerner!!!!

Language, area, dialect, speech patterns vary in every region of the world, by anyone who is "not from there". Learn and respect is the best advice I can give you, ExpatinUSA.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.