U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2019, 09:28 PM

3,300 posts, read 2,263,073 times

Advertisements

That list included tourism and business visitors. Also, while Latin America is an important component for Florida let’s not underestimate the number of Canadians, Europeans, Russians, Turks, etc who live here and/or number of businesses originally from there that have established their first ever US ventures and/or brand extensions here—at least speaking for Miami/So Florida. Not sure if Miami (or Orlando) are ahead of Chicago but they are certainly in the discussion along with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
Fair enough, but again this thread isn't about tourism, it's about notoriety. And nobody is flying to Orlando to see Orlando. They're going there for Disney World.

Even tourism though.... I'd strongly curve any city like Houston and Miami simply because they are right next to a foreign country (or countries). Houston is right by Mexico and Miami is right by a number of foreign countries. I think we'd be fooling ourselves if we didn't count that into being a huge skew for international visitors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2019, 09:32 PM

3,958 posts, read 1,888,658 times
No one thinks of Houston being next to Mexico ..... heck, San Antonio and Austin are much closeer ....

Old 10-15-2019, 09:39 PM

1,758 posts, read 1,057,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
That list included tourism and business visitors. Also, while Latin America is an important component for Florida let’s not underestimate the number of Canadians, Europeans, Russians, Turks, etc who live here and/or number of businesses originally from there that have established their first ever US ventures and/or brand extensions here—at least speaking for Miami/So Florida. Not sure if Miami (or Orlando) are ahead of Chicago but they are certainly in the discussion along with it.
I definitely agree with Miami that it deserves a seat at the table in this discussion.... but Tampa, the city this other person brought up and the reasons for it.... is nonsense.

Old 10-15-2019, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
No one thinks of Houston being next to Mexico ..... heck, San Antonio and Austin are much closeer ....
It's not next to but it's close, compared to much of the rest of the U.S. Of course, Houston also has other prominent populations of central/South America as well. The point is, its geographic location is absolutely a crutch in terms of visitor numbers, I'd imagine.

Old 10-15-2019, 10:01 PM

106 posts, read 40,343 times
Quote:
I'm aware. I wouldn't even say Miami is more known internationally than Chicago.... especially if you remove its heavy concentration of Latin American influence. Tampa is hardly known/ cared about within the U.S., so no idea why it would be more known than the third largest/most prominent city in the U.S. from outside the country, as well as the nation's capitol.

I mean c'mon, TB is hardly the third most notable city in Florida....

People around the world know many more things about Miami than they do about Chicago. There's a reason one of the Grand Theft Auto games was set in Miami and not in Chicago. Heck even the next GTA game coming out in a couple years is once again going to be set in Miami. It should be epic.

Old 10-15-2019, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by popka View Post
People around the world know many more things about Miami than they do about Chicago. There's a reason one of the Grand Theft Auto games was set in Miami and not in Chicago. Heck even the next GTA game coming out in a couple years is once again going to be set in Miami. It should be epic.
Are you seriously using a GTA game as a reason why Miami is more known than Chicago???

I mean I agree it's worth a debate. But are you seriously using that as a reason?

And again, if central/South America is "around the world" to you, then yeah, Miami is more known around the world.

Miami may have more notoriety outside the country.... but Chicago is almost certainly known in more places, I would say, when you look at Europe, South America, Asia, Africa.... Miami's notoriety is drastically skewed by South America/ the Caribbean.

But if you read my original comment here... I agree, Miami is definitely in the top 5 for notoriety.... Orlando and Tampa don't belong here at all

Last edited by CCrest182; 10-15-2019 at 10:20 PM..

Old 10-15-2019, 10:29 PM

106 posts, read 40,343 times
Quote:
Are you seriously using a GTA game as a reason why Miami is more known than Chicago???

I mean I agree it's worth a debate. But are you seriously using that as a reason?

And again, if central/South America is "around the world" to you, then yeah, Miami is more known around the world.

Miami may have more notoriety outside the country.... but Chicago is almost certainly known in more places, I would say, when you look at Europe, South America, Asia, Africa.... Miami's notoriety is drastically skewed by South America/ the Caribbean.

But if you read my original comment here... I agree, Miami is definitely in the top 5 for notoriety.... Orlando and Tampa don't belong here at all

I never said the GTA game is a reason why Miami is more known than Chicago. (even though it is one of many, many reasons) I said the reason why they made a GTA game in Miami and not Chicago is because Miami is much more known around the world than Chicago. Do I really have to just start naming qualities and stereotypes that Miami is known for around the world and see if you can do the same for Chicago?

Old 10-15-2019, 10:31 PM

2,758 posts, read 2,450,272 times
Yall are forgetting that this debate started bc Losfrisco said any/all Florida cities are more well known worldwide then both DC and Chicago.

It's not a Chicago vs Miami debate. I included both in my list as well.

Old 10-15-2019, 10:37 PM

5,628 posts, read 3,412,560 times
Quote:
Fair enough, but again this thread isn't about tourism, it's about notoriety. And nobody is flying to Orlando to see Orlando. They're going there for Disney World.

Even tourism though.... I'd strongly curve any city like Houston and Miami simply because they are right next to a foreign country (or countries). Houston is right by Mexico and Miami is right by a number of foreign countries. I think we'd be fooling ourselves if we didn't count that into being a huge skew for international visitors.
People that go to Orlando are only there for Disney World and the other parks. They couldn't tell you where the Orlando Magic play.

Also, its hard for a city in the US to place well in a contest like this. The European and Asian countries are right next to each other. Travel is easy because of proximity.

Old 10-15-2019, 11:28 PM

4,937 posts, read 3,015,616 times
Yes, exactly. You can take an international day trip from basically any major European city, including London via the Chunnel. People do this all the time, along with weekend trips, school overnighters, and so on.

I'm less familiar with how it works in Asia but the proximity is similar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or