U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-15-2019, 11:56 PM
 
1,978 posts, read 715,730 times
Reputation: 1516

Advertisements

I think people grossly underestimate how famous San Diego is. Sea World, La Jolla, and UCSD are all world-class. UCSD is known all around the world for its programs. San Diego's reputation is bar none; everyone envies it for supposedly having the world's finest weather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-16-2019, 12:09 AM
 
Location: WA Desert, Seattle native
6,429 posts, read 4,265,988 times
Reputation: 4905
Just for explanation, I put Seattle on my list because of its huge business influence with companies like Amazon, Microsoft, Boeing, and others. The city has become an international air hub. The grunge music thing is old, but still exists for many. The cruise industry has quadrupled in the past 20 years. The skyline continues to explode. All these things make it not necessarily a top 5 US city, but definitely in the top 10 US cities that are recognized internationally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2019, 12:19 AM
 
4,973 posts, read 3,037,099 times
Reputation: 4577
In Asia, easily. In Europe, maybe. South America probably not. I'd guess somewhere around #10 on average by reputation.

Seattle is halfway to being an international air hub. Hopefully the new building fixing the logjam at international arrivals will change that.

The cruise industry has gone from about 10 ships a year to 220 last I heard. In a few years that should go up with the fourth berth.

The business side is definitely a win. Tech, coffee, and Boeing go a long way.

Seattle does have a brand. That's why it has a steady flow of movies and TV shows set here, despite not being a major filming location. That plus our resemblance to Vancouver of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2019, 07:52 AM
 
Location: New York City
6,012 posts, read 5,424,904 times
Reputation: 3111
Wow, so many people are so sadly uninformed.

Orlando and Tampa above Chicago?...Have these posters even been to an international destination before??

Florida as a state is probably known throughout most of the world, but I know New Yorkers who couldn't tell you the first thing about Orlando or Tampa, you think an average person in Croatia, Kenya, New Zealand or anywhere else has even heard of them???

Disney is well known, but hardly anyone could make the connection between Disney and Orlando, that is not a well-known thing. Heck, I could see Pittsburgh being more well known than Orlando or Tampa (similar sized cities).

Finally, what is up with the disdain toward Chicago??? Chicago is 100% absolutely well known throughout the world, I would put Chicago at number 3 after New York and LA. I get it, some people don't like Chicago, but lets not let personal vendettas get in the way of facts and reality.

And of course, in the end, this thread is largely based on opinions, some stats, (sad assumptions), but I consider myself extremely well traveled for business and pleasure, so I am not blowing smoke with my statements, unlike many others on here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2019, 08:15 AM
 
15,624 posts, read 8,432,631 times
Reputation: 28351
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Finally, what is up with the disdain toward Chicago??? Chicago is 100% absolutely well known throughout the world, I would put Chicago at number 3 after New York and LA. I get it, some people don't like Chicago, but lets not let personal vendettas get in the way of facts and reality.

Again, if I stop the man in the street in Shanghai or Frankfurt, what are they going to be able to tell me about Chicago? Beyond "it's an American city", I'd expect zero. For New York, I'd get a long list of associations since it's a world city. Same for DC as the nation's capital. Chicago doesn't make world news for anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2019, 08:47 AM
 
Location: New York City
6,012 posts, read 5,424,904 times
Reputation: 3111
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Again, if I stop the man in the street in Shanghai or Frankfurt, what are they going to be able to tell me about Chicago? Beyond "it's an American city", I'd expect zero. For New York, I'd get a long list of associations since it's a world city. Same for DC as the nation's capital. Chicago doesn't make world news for anything.
Isn't that part of what this discussion is? That fact that people have heard of Chicago / know Chicago is a big American city...?

If you stopped someone on the streets of Shanghai or Frankfurt and asked them about Orlando or Tampa, most would say what is that? / they never heard of it.

And what do people know about DC, except that its the capital of America? Most Americans don't know anything about DC, except that its the nations capital...

New York and LA are the only American cities where people might actually know a few things, certainly not a long list, but most likely - Hollywood, Empire State Building, Broadway, beaches, etc.

After those two cities, I guarantee most people don't know much about any American city, however, I would be hard pressed to find anywhere in the world where people didn't at least know Chicago is a big American city.

Your argument is really weak, and if we really want to play this game, then just say New York and Los Angeles are the only two cities. Washington DC is not more (but maybe less) well known than Chicago, there is no argument for you to prove otherwise.

Fun side note, my friend was doing a study abroad in Prague and then Vienna (years ago), one group of people she was with thought the American capital was New York... so there's that too.

Americans have a very limited view of the outside world / think their preferred city is well known, just because it is.... Yet I have not seen one logical post stating why Chicago would not be at least known throughout the world.

Yet, I have seen beyond ridiculous posts claiming Orlando and Tampa are well known, where is the logic?...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2019, 09:03 AM
 
15,624 posts, read 8,432,631 times
Reputation: 28351
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Isn't that part of what this discussion is? That fact that people have heard of Chicago / know Chicago is a big American city...?

If you stopped someone on the streets of Shanghai or Frankfurt and asked them about Orlando or Tampa, most would say what is that? / they never heard of it.

And what do people know about DC, except that its the capital of America? Most Americans don't know anything about DC, except that its the nations capital...

New York and LA are the only American cities where people might actually know a few things, certainly not a long list, but most likely - Hollywood, Empire State Building, Broadway, beaches, etc.

After those two cities, I guarantee most people don't know much about any American city, however, I would be hard pressed to find anywhere in the world where people didn't at least know Chicago is a big American city.

Your argument is really weak, and if we really want to play this game, then just say New York and Los Angeles are the only two cities. Washington DC is not more (but maybe less) well known than Chicago, there is no argument for you to prove otherwise.

Fun side note, my friend was doing a study abroad in Prague and then Vienna (years ago), one group of people she was with thought the American capital was New York... so there's that too.

Americans have a very limited view of the outside world / think their preferred city is well known, just because it is.... Yet I have not seen one logical post stating why Chicago would not be at least known throughout the world.

Yet, I have seen beyond ridiculous posts claiming Orlando and Tampa are well known, where is the logic?...

The thread title says "well-known internationally". From my point of view, knowing Chicago is an American city isn't "well-known internationally".


Munich is the #3 population city in Germany. Globally, I think people can tell you a heck of a lot more about Munich than Chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2019, 11:45 AM
 
Location: New York City
6,012 posts, read 5,424,904 times
Reputation: 3111
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
The thread title says "well-known internationally". From my point of view, knowing Chicago is an American city isn't "well-known internationally".


Munich is the #3 population city in Germany. Globally, I think people can tell you a heck of a lot more about Munich than Chicago.
What American cities are "well-known" outside of New York and LA then??

I would be hard pressed to meet an average international person who knows anything about American cities outside of those two. If you are claiming just New York and LA, then fine, but you are claiming other US cities relevancy while downplaying Chicago as if its some small lower tier city....

Just from a name standpoint, Chicago is a clear number 3, (Miami may be close too).

People might have heard of DC, Boston, Philadelphia, etc. but I guarantee its less than those who know Chicago, nor do people know anything about those cities, except maybe that they are old.

And what exactly do people know about Munich? Certainly an exaggeration to say people know "a heck of a lot more". Maybe in Europe, because European countries are more like American states, so it would be obvious that someone in Europe is more familiar with Munich than Chicago.

However, as we all know, (I hope we all know), the world extends far beyond Europe and America.

So in conclusion, the most "well-known" cities are certainly New York and LA.

After that, the only other city that is a guarantee is Chicago and maybe Miami.

Why exactly are you fighting so hard to downplay Chicago?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2019, 12:12 PM
 
Location: Zagreb, Croatia
86 posts, read 47,425 times
Reputation: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Wow, so many people are so sadly uninformed.

Orlando and Tampa above Chicago?...Have these posters even been to an international destination before??

Florida as a state is probably known throughout most of the world, but I know New Yorkers who couldn't tell you the first thing about Orlando or Tampa, you think an average person in Croatia, Kenya, New Zealand or anywhere else has even heard of them???

Disney is well known, but hardly anyone could make the connection between Disney and Orlando, that is not a well-known thing. Heck, I could see Pittsburgh being more well known than Orlando or Tampa (similar sized cities).

Finally, what is up with the disdain toward Chicago??? Chicago is 100% absolutely well known throughout the world, I would put Chicago at number 3 after New York and LA. I get it, some people don't like Chicago, but lets not let personal vendettas get in the way of facts and reality.

And of course, in the end, this thread is largely based on opinions, some stats, (sad assumptions), but I consider myself extremely well traveled for business and pleasure, so I am not blowing smoke with my statements, unlike many others on here.
Since you mentioned Croatia...

I agree with you, mostly.
Orlando is overrated, I guess 75% of the people don't even know Disneyland is there and a decent amount of those maybe know it as a fun fact and don't know Orlando is in Florida.

As for Chicago, it's kind of tricky, some people here seem to confuse desirability with fame. Chicago just isn't the "dream city" type of city like NYC, LA, SF or Miami. Very very few people would say they want to move to Chicago one day. But is it famous? Yes, it is. #1 and #2 are undisputed, no talk about that. #3 is tricky, but I'd give it to either SF, Chicago or Washington.

My take on what an average person here knows about these cities:

SF- it's somewhere on the WC, above LA (though I have had people ask me in which state it is), trams, unique architecture, gays (goes with the liberal/hippy thing), IT capital of the world/Silicon Valley is somewhere around there and Alcatraz is somewhere around there

Washington- capital, White House, no skyscrapers (less known fact, but still...), somewhere on the EC below NYC, not in any state, but some sort of special entity

Chicago- somewhere in the middle of the country to the north on one of the lakes, huge industrial blue collar city (similar to EC cities), Bulls (by far and away the most popular American team, no competition (Lakers are a solid #2)), Al Capone, cold in the winter (believe it or not, it's a well known fact and some people have also heard it's both cold in the winter and hot in the summer), problems with crime (not a good thing, but still counts), older generations might know about the Sears Tower since it used to be the highest building in the world, but that might be a stretch

TBH after writing this, it's most likely either SF or Chicago. Even though Chicago is my favorite (tied with NYC), I might give a slight slight egde to SF.

So, this is how I'd put it:

1.NYC
2.LA
gap
3.SF
4.Chicago
5.D.C.
6.Miami
7.Las Vegas (very niche city, but it makes people google a thing or two about it)
8.Boston
9.Philadelphia
10.Houston
Dallas, Atlanta, Seattle and NO
everything else...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2019, 12:17 PM
 
15,624 posts, read 8,432,631 times
Reputation: 28351
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
What American cities are "well-known" outside of New York and LA then??

DC, probably. That's where the list ends. Anywhere else, about all that is know is "it's a city in the United States". This thread is endless inflated importance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top