U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2014, 06:13 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,259,760 times

Advertisements

Rome Georgia, Athens Texas, and Paris Tennessee (From George and Tammy's "We're Not the Jet Set"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWSSWSWfq8s
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2014, 11:10 PM

4,266 posts, read 6,348,204 times
Cities with a distinctive history and culture are best known overseas: New York, Chicago, LA, DC, Miami, New Orleans, Vegas, Dallas, San Francisco, Atlanta. Maybe add Boston and Orlando. Everything else, to the vast majority of oversea folks, is Podunk.

Old 06-23-2014, 01:43 AM

313 posts, read 392,847 times
Los Angeles by far

Old 06-23-2014, 09:10 AM

11,172 posts, read 22,375,148 times
Traveled around to almost 30 countries, I think people would be surprised at how LITTLE people actually know of USA cities. Other than a few, there's just no reason for them to care about our cities. They haven't been here, they don't have an impact on their lives. They're just not known, which is perfectly fine.

Cities people know immediately and know about:
New York
Los Angeles
San Fran
Orlando (basically just Disney, nothing about actual Orlando)

Cities people know immediately, but don't have a solid grasp of:
Chicago
Washington DC (this always surprised me, everyone knew DC, but other than "government" they don't know the city)
Miami
New Orleans

Cities most people have heard of, but only know because it's some TV show or hosted something, etc:
Dallas
Atlanta
Houston
Boston
Las Vegas

Old 06-23-2014, 11:55 AM

12,521 posts, read 23,108,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Traveled around to almost 30 countries, I think people would be surprised at how LITTLE people actually know of USA cities. Other than a few, there's just no reason for them to care about our cities. They haven't been here, they don't have an impact on their lives. They're just not known, which is perfectly fine.

Cities people know immediately and know about:
New York
Los Angeles
San Fran
Orlando (basically just Disney, nothing about actual Orlando)

Cities people know immediately, but don't have a solid grasp of:
Chicago
Washington DC (this always surprised me, everyone knew DC, but other than "government" they don't know the city)
Miami
New Orleans

Cities most people have heard of, but only know because it's some TV show or hosted something, etc:
Dallas
Atlanta
Houston
Boston
Las Vegas
Not true at all.

Houston is internationally known in countries like Vietnam, China, Philippines, India, Pakistan, Nigeria, & the Middle East.

It has the largest foreign seaport in the US.

32% of trade is with Europe
22% of trade is with Latin America
15% of trade is with Asia
12% of trade is with Africa
7% of trade is with the Middle East

While Houston might not be a true "Global City" like New York or Hong Hong, it is internationally known in many parts of the World.

Houston also has the most foreign consulates in Texas & in the whole entire Southern US. It might not have every single country represented, but there are A LOT.

Last edited by Metro Matt; 06-23-2014 at 12:20 PM..

Old 06-23-2014, 12:09 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,597,539 times
I was in Israel earlier this summer and New York City, LA, Chicago, Boston, Dallas and Baltimore/D.C. were the most known cities there.

Old 06-23-2014, 02:40 PM

13,403 posts, read 21,198,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Not true at all.

Houston is internationally known in countries like Vietnam, China, Philippines, India, Pakistan, Nigeria, & the Middle East.

It has the largest foreign seaport in the US.

32% of trade is with Europe
22% of trade is with Latin America
15% of trade is with Asia
12% of trade is with Africa
7% of trade is with the Middle East

While Houston might not be a true "Global City" like New York or Hong Hong, it is internationally known in many parts of the World.

Houston also has the most foreign consulates in Texas & in the whole entire Southern US. It might not have every single country represented, but there are A LOT.
I would suggest leave the US one time before rendering such a verdict on how well Houston is known internationally.

I agree Houston is pretty well known, but not really for the reasons youre suggesting. More people have heard of Houston because of "Houston we have a problem..." or because foreigners have relatives in Houston than because of its port. The exception would be the international business community, but thats a small percentage of any foreign country.

To answer the OP, pretty much every major city in the US has name recognition abroad. Its to what degree they are known. When I lived in LA and would mention in a place like China or Brazil that I was from LA, people would say things like "Awesome, I really want to visit there!". Now that Im from Dallas, I can go to China or Brazil, tell them I live in Dallas, and the reaction is more like "thats cool, Ive seen the TV show" or "I have relatives there" (got that last one in Korea and India) or "Is it like it is in the TV show?" or "Of course Ive heard of Dallas, I didnt grow up under a rock.".

Both cities were known by just about every single person I talked to, but there was a more enthusiastic response to my former city than my current one.

Old 06-23-2014, 03:26 PM

76 posts, read 108,422 times
In general, I agree with the cities people have mentioned. NYC of course. LA, although "Hollywood" probably even more so. Washington DC because it's the capital. And all the other major cities + major tourist destinations. Chicago, San Francisco, Boston, Houston, Philadelphia, Dallas, Atlanta, Miami, Orlando, Vegas, etc.

But it really depends on where you are. My friend lived in Cambodia and he said people hadn't heard of Boston so he had to resort to "it's near New York". Until someone recognized Boston because they had family in Lowell. The relatively small city of Lowell, Massachusetts is very well known in Cambodia (more than Boston) because there is a huge Cambodian population there. So, it really depends on where you are, and who you're talking to.

I would say the most well known places are New York, "Hollywood", and Texas. Most people with limited education won't realize which are cities vs. regions.

Old 06-23-2014, 07:50 PM

32,079 posts, read 32,980,395 times
The most well known city is definitely NYC. The most well known neighborhood or area which isn't a city is probably Hollywood in California.

Old 10-21-2014, 11:13 AM

2 posts, read 2,160 times
Depends upon the respective field in which that person is and his interests

New York City

Washington DC

Chicago

Los Angeles, Las Vegas

San Francisco, San Jose (IT Sector people tend to know more about the cities in SF Bay area)

Houston, Austin, Dallas (Non-Americans might just refer the state name Texas more than referring to its individual cities; Students, people in energy and technology sector tend to know these places)

Miami

Atlanta

Detroit (People in automobile industry often would have heard about Detroit)

Boston

Note: People with more interest in US or ties to US might have heard about all its other important cities like Philadelphia, Orlando, Jacksonville, Portland, Sacramento, Milwaukee, Memphis, Albuquerque, Salt Lake city, San Antonio, El Paso, etc. The list goes on
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or