U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 11:13 AM

53 posts, read 63,792 times

Advertisements

New york city
Miami
DC
LA
Frisco
Chicago

Wait, Austin? are you tripping?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2014, 11:16 AM

22,234 posts, read 23,694,869 times
From a British perspective, I'd say:

New York - for being New York
Los Angeles - media industry
Washington - political prowess
Las Vegas - renowned for gambling

Other places don't register as much. Nearly everyone will have heard of all major US cities, but they're not known as much as the above four for any particular reason.

Old 10-22-2014, 11:14 PM

1,023 posts, read 898,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Hollywood may be the most well-known, and it's not even a city.

LOL!

Hollywood
Times Square
Silicon Valley
Disneyland
White House

Old 10-22-2014, 11:26 PM

2,706 posts, read 3,339,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Rome Georgia, Athens Texas, and Paris Tennessee (From George and Tammy's "We're Not the Jet Set"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWSSWSWfq8s
Hey, I'm from Rome!

Old 10-23-2014, 05:18 AM

1,423 posts, read 1,281,116 times
A lot of times when I meet foreigners in the cab and tell them I'm originally from Milwaukee, they'll think it's on the east coast
I had one couple ask me if my upbringing was like how it is on That 70's Show... At first I laughed it off but then thought to myself hmmm... Actually it WAS.

Old 10-23-2014, 03:17 PM

5,694 posts, read 8,768,844 times
When I traveled Europe in the 90s so many people mentioned Memphis (and Elvis of course) when I said I was from Tennessee. I suspect Nashville has gained in prominence since then.

Those two cities should make it to the top 20 list if not the top 10.

Old 10-23-2014, 08:24 PM

12,521 posts, read 23,120,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Traveled around to almost 30 countries, I think people would be surprised at how LITTLE people actually know of USA cities. Other than a few, there's just no reason for them to care about our cities. They haven't been here, they don't have an impact on their lives. They're just not known, which is perfectly fine.

Cities people know immediately and know about:
New York
Los Angeles
San Fran
Orlando (basically just Disney, nothing about actual Orlando)

Cities people know immediately, but don't have a solid grasp of:
Chicago
Washington DC (this always surprised me, everyone knew DC, but other than "government" they don't know the city)
Miami
New Orleans

Cities most people have heard of, but only know because it's some TV show or hosted something, etc:
Dallas
Atlanta
Houston
Boston
Las Vegas
Uhh...

Houston has THE largest Nigerian population in the US, 3rd largest Vietnamese population outside of Vietnam, largest Chinese population in the South, largest Filipino population in the South, & largest Pakistani/Indian populations in Texas. It also has an EXTREMELY large Mexican & Central American population.

Yeeeah...I think Houston is fairly well known Internationally. Not to mention Galveston Island just down the road was at one point Texas' version of Ellis Island. Very large European influence there & still a thriving Jewish & Italian communities.

Houston also has not one, but two international airports.

There is also the Port of Houston which is the largest foreign seaport in North America as well as the World's largest medical center where Saudi Kings have sought treatment.

Last edited by Metro Matt; 10-23-2014 at 08:37 PM..

Old 10-24-2014, 05:58 AM

13,403 posts, read 21,212,304 times
We've been through this before Matt. Someone who has never left the U.S, which you said you hadn't, doesn't get to say what cities he thinks are best known outside the U.S.

Also, Dallas not Houston has the largest Indian population in the South, but you knew that as well.

Old 10-24-2014, 06:39 AM

11,749 posts, read 8,314,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Uhh...

Houston has THE largest Nigerian population in the US, 3rd largest Vietnamese population outside of Vietnam, largest Chinese population in the South, largest Filipino population in the South, & largest Pakistani/Indian populations in Texas. It also has an EXTREMELY large Mexican & Central American population.

Yeeeah...I think Houston is fairly well known Internationally. Not to mention Galveston Island just down the road was at one point Texas' version of Ellis Island. Very large European influence there & still a thriving Jewish & Italian communities.

Houston also has not one, but two international airports.

There is also the Port of Houston which is the largest foreign seaport in North America as well as the World's largest medical center where Saudi Kings have sought treatment.
I would imagine the only reason people outside the US would universally know of Houston would be because of "Houston, we have a problem".

Most people don't care about the other stuff.

Old 10-24-2014, 10:33 AM

12,521 posts, read 23,120,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
We've been through this before Matt. Someone who has never left the U.S, which you said you hadn't, doesn't get to say what cities he thinks are best known outside the U.S.

Also, Dallas not Houston has the largest Indian population in the South, but you knew that as well.
Correction D/FW does & its not by a large margin. Houston has the larger Pakistani population. We're splitting hairs now. They essentially cancel each other out its that close.

Now if we're talking Korean or Laotion populations, then yes, Dallas does blow Houston away...but that's where it stops.

Dallas is finally playing catch up to what Houston has had for many decades now in the diversity department. Houston was recently rated at the most diverse city in America beating out NYC & LA. Even Al-Jazeera reported on it worldwide.

http://america.aljazeera.com/article...etropolis.html

Word is getting out my friend.

There is a reason all the foreign embassies are located in Houston with just a few in Dallas.

Last edited by Metro Matt; 10-24-2014 at 10:50 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or