U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2019, 01:58 PM

4,937 posts, read 3,015,616 times

Advertisements

A city tends to be known because it's THE center for something. I agree that Detroit would be known globally (first world) for being the center of the US car industry, and by anyone who listened to Motown-type music.

I didn't know where Beyonce was from. But the world would know Houston for NASA. A decent number would know it for oil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2019, 02:35 PM

15,563 posts, read 8,390,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
Cities with a distinctive history and culture are best known overseas: New York, Chicago, LA, DC, Miami, New Orleans, Vegas, Dallas, San Francisco, Atlanta. Maybe add Boston and Orlando. Everything else, to the vast majority of oversea folks, is Podunk.

I'm from metro Boston. I've done tons of global business travel. In Asia, I usually say I'm from near New York unless it's a well-traveled high tech person. That at least sets my time zone correctly.

Generally, I think once you get past New York, DC, LA, and San Francisco, the average person in the street in Europe or Asia isn't going to be able to find it on a map. There really isn't much reason to know Chicago these days globally. I think you'd have better luck with Florida in Europe than Miami or Orlando. Nobody is going to know New Orleans.

Old 10-12-2019, 03:00 PM

15,563 posts, read 8,390,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboys fan in Houston View Post

Nobody is going to know Houston for its diverse population internationally. Think about our own population. Do you think Americans know Paris for its massive Indian population? Amsterdam for its massive Indonesian population or its large port? Does your average American know Houston or Dallas equivalent cities worldwide like Bogota, Lima, Kuala Lumpur, Taipei, etc.? Your average American couldnt even label them on a map. They may have heard the names of the cities. They know they exist but thats about it. Nobody knows what those cities are known for specifically.

Generally, nobody is going to know Houston at all. Why would they ever need to? Their oil comes from the Middle East. They don't get the constant NASA indoctrination.

I'm a bit lost on "Paris" and "massive Indian population". Google turns up a wiki that says there are 65,000 in the whole country. North Africans? Sure. If I'm looking for chicken tikka masala, I'm going to London, not Paris.

Amsterdam isn't the big port. That's Rotterdam. You actually have to work at it to find rijsttafel in Amsterdam. There isn't Indonesian food on every corner.

Old 10-12-2019, 06:51 PM

1,366 posts, read 455,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoNgFooCj View Post
Detroit is also known for Motown and Detroit Rock. Detroit was known as music city way before Eminem and Kid Rock. In the 1960s and 70s, Detroit was synonymous with cars and music.
Besides, Eminem wasn't born in Detroit. He was born in St Joseph, Missouri. He didn't really grow up in Detroit either as far as I know. He grew up mostly in Warren, Michigan.

Old 10-13-2019, 01:21 AM

8,313 posts, read 12,723,834 times
Most well known

New York
Washington DC
Los Angeles
San Francisco
Chicago
Las Vegas
New Orleans
Miami

Less Well Known but still widely known

Atlanta
Houston
Dallas
Detroit
Philadelphia
Nashville
Memphis
San Diego

Important Cities that are surprisingly not well known

Charleston SC
Savannah
Pittsburgh
Columbus
Minneapolis
Charlotte
Tampa
St. Louis
Kansas City
San Antonio (the legend of the Alamo doesn't seem to extent beyond the USA)
Denver
Colorado Springs

Smaller cities that are surprisingly known....

Key West
Atlantic City (especially in Asian countries because of gambling)
Anchorage, Alaska

Old 10-13-2019, 10:19 AM

1,746 posts, read 628,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Generally, nobody is going to know Houston at all. Why would they ever need to? Their oil comes from the Middle East. They don't get the constant NASA indoctrination.

I'm a bit lost on "Paris" and "massive Indian population". Google turns up a wiki that says there are 65,000 in the whole country. North Africans? Sure. If I'm looking for chicken tikka masala, I'm going to London, not Paris.

Amsterdam isn't the big port. That's Rotterdam. You actually have to work at it to find rijsttafel in Amsterdam. There isn't Indonesian food on every corner.
That’s the opposite extreme. I travel quite a bit internationally and many more people know Houston than don’t. They can’t tell you much about the city but they know of it.

But really NYC, LA, DC, SF, Miami, and Chicago. Those are the ones that are probably best known.

Old 10-13-2019, 11:37 AM

13,692 posts, read 15,778,970 times
New York, Chicago, Washington DC, San Francisco, Boston, Honolulu, Las Vegas, and Los Angeles.

Old 10-13-2019, 11:41 AM

2,598 posts, read 1,290,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
New York, Chicago, Washington DC, San Francisco, Boston, Honolulu, Las Vegas, and Los Angeles.
This is a good list, but not sure about Boston.

Old 10-13-2019, 12:17 PM

3,300 posts, read 2,264,907 times
Not sure why Miami, a city with 2/3 foreigners who came from somewhere outside the US, would not be included. Surely these foreigners must have heard of Miami before moving to this minority majority city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
This is a good list, but not sure about Boston.

Old 10-13-2019, 12:35 PM

1,733 posts, read 1,302,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
A city tends to be known because it's THE center for something. I agree that Detroit would be known globally (first world) for being the center of the US car industry, and by anyone who listened to Motown-type music.

I didn't know where Beyonce was from. But the world would know Houston for NASA. A decent number would know it for oil.
I agree that Detroit should be in the top category, I don't think all those international business travelers from the 50's through the 90's forgot about it. Pistons and Tigers are iconic sports teams. In fact, there might even be a case to place Detroit above Chicago, as Chicago is not really known for one thing but many.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or