Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Globally, what's the 3rd most famous city from America?
Chicago 60 27.78%
DC 87 40.28%
Miami 35 16.20%
San Francisco 55 25.46%
Vegas 29 13.43%
Other 11 5.09%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 216. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2019, 06:01 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,694,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
I think all of the Florida cities and even Las Vegas would be above both D.C. and Chicago.

Think of how many billions of people live in cold weather zones that have cities far more cultured, urban, and historically significant that D.C. and Chicago.

I'd love to hear someone trying to pitch D.C over Orlando to a person in Helsinki or Seoul.

Pretty sure you're going to get a big "cool story bro" when hyping those historic buildings and landmarks.
I mean.... if you think Tampa or Orlando or Ft. Myers or Pensacola are more well known then DC or Chicago then please go right ahead thinking that.

Old 10-15-2019, 06:11 PM

4,212 posts, read 3,293,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
I mean.... if you think Tampa or Orlando are more well known then DC or Chicago then please go right ahead thinking that.
In the context of 7 billion people on earth, I think maybe they are.

If you live somewhere with no beach and freezing weather, a tourist zone in a tropical climate by a beach just might stand out more than parks, buildings, and monuments in another cold weather city with no natural scenery.

Especially in Europe, where they have national capitals far more impressive and significant than D.C., or Asia, where any number of random cities is likely to have similar features as Chicago.

Old 10-15-2019, 06:26 PM

Quote:

If you live somewhere with no beach and freezing weather, a tourist zone in a tropical climate by a beach just might stand out more than parks, buildings, and monuments in another cold weather city with no natural scenery.

Especially in Europe, where they have national capitals far more impressive and significant than D.C., or Asia, where any number of random cities is likely to have similar features as Chicago.
We all know that you're not a fan of DC and that's ok. Maybe you're correct and Pensacola is more widely known then DC.... I really cant argue with someone who thinks that.

Old 10-15-2019, 06:30 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,404,996 times
Quote:

If you took Disney out of Orlando.... it would be the Sacramento of Florida in terms of international notoriety, and even that would be generous.

As a city, I think adding Orlando to this thread, simply because it possess notable theme parks (which BTW, Disney World isn't even in Orlando...), is pretty disingenuous. Chicago is famous as an overall well rounded city. Orlando and Tampa aren't, no is Florida in general really. Mount Rushmore is famous to outsiders.... but I wouldn't say Keystone, South Dakota is "internationally notable" because that's the city it's located in.

Old 10-15-2019, 06:32 PM

Quote:
We all know that you're not a fan of DC and that's ok. Maybe you're correct and Pensacola is more widely known then DC.... I really cant argue with someone who thinks that.
You're being hyperbolic. I meant Miami, Orlando and Tampa by "Florida cities."

I know it might be hard to come to terms with the fact that Orlando is likely more on the radar of a foreigner than the almighty megapolis D.C. with its amazing parks, river, and government buildings but I think we should all strive to see reality for what it is.

Old 10-15-2019, 06:36 PM

Quote:
You're being hyperbolic. I meant Miami, Orlando and Tampa by "Florida cities."

I know it might be hard to come to terms with the fact that Orlando is likely more on the radar of a foreigner than the almighty megapolis D.C. with its amazing parks, river, and government buildings but I think we should all strive to see reality for what it is.
You think Tampa is more internationally known then DC or Chicago...I guess that makes sense in the kind of crowd you might surround yourself with... that's all.

Old 10-15-2019, 06:37 PM

1,549 posts, read 1,062,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post

But there are quite a few big cities that are, weirdly enough, not well-known internationally, and I have no idea why. Fresno, the "Inland Empire", Long Beach, Jacksonville FL (although Orlando is well-known for obvious reasons), Oklahoma City, Wichita, Mesa, Virginia Beach, Colorado Springs, Tulsa, Omaha... I'm looking at a list of the 50 largest metropolitan areas in the U.S., and I didn't know those cities are as heavily populated as they are.
Mesa? A suburb of Phoenix? Is this serious?

Old 10-15-2019, 06:47 PM

Quote:
You think Tampa is more internationally known then DC or Chicago...I guess that makes sense in the kind of crowd you might surround yourself with... that's all.
It's not inconceivable.

Think of the Bahamas....not much there is there? Not really important either.

Think of Hamburg. A European city comparable to Chicago in importance and stature.

Go around Anytown, USA and see which one more people are familiar with.

Old 10-15-2019, 06:54 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,404,996 times
Quote:
It's not inconceivable.

Think of Hamburg. A European city comparable to Chicago in importance and stature.
Oh c'mon, this is such a disingenuous take. The Chicago of GERMANY would be Hamburg.... but the Chicago of EUROPE would be Berlin or Frankfurt

Old 10-15-2019, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
Oh c'mon, this is such a disingenuous take. The Chicago of GERMANY would be Hamburg.... but the Chicago of EUROPE would be Berlin or Frankfurt
Ok, If you'd don't like that analogy just substitute Hamburg with Guangzhou (population 15 million, 25 millon metro area). If that doesn't work for you, try Lagos, Dhaka, Chengdu, Lahore, Izmir...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.