Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 06:04 PM

1,207 posts, read 1,276,967 times

Advertisements

EDM has gotten big here. There are several festivals that only display electronic music; biggest two are EDC and Ultra.

Marijuana is legal in 2 states, and on the ballot in several others. Hopefully, this will lower the incarceration rate for minor drug related offenses and stop the War on Drugs.

I don't people are less social, but they've shifted some of that interaction into the virtual world and do less of it in the physical.

I also don't think people have become more divided politically, but the Internet and mass media has made it easier for everyone's opinion to be heard. We didn't have Internet polls and comment sections in the 90s. People won't tell you their true opinion to your face, but they'll say whatever's on their mind from behind the monitor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2014, 06:08 PM

61,289 posts, read 87,253,323 times
the truth is dawning
the concept that we do not have unlimited wealth is beginning to dawn on our young people.
the truth that they must work to eat is dawning
the truth that there is no safety net for their future is dawning, they must make a safety net.
the truth that this will take enormous work is dawning, and they are the ones that must do it.
the truth that you cant tolerate violence indefinitely and forgive all of it and that then it will simply go away.

Old 06-24-2014, 06:21 PM

5,959 posts, read 13,074,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlando-calrissian View Post
EDM has gotten big here. There are several festivals that only display electronic music; biggest two are EDC and Ultra.

Marijuana is legal in 2 states, and on the ballot in several others. Hopefully, this will lower the incarceration rate for minor drug related offenses and stop the War on Drugs.

I don't people are less social, but they've shifted some of that interaction into the virtual world and do less of it in the physical.

I also don't think people have become more divided politically, but the Internet and mass media has made it easier for everyone's opinion to be heard. We didn't have Internet polls and comment sections in the 90s. People won't tell you their true opinion to your face, but they'll say whatever's on their mind from behind the monitor.
good post. I like your balance to the "sky is falling and society is decaying rhetoric one usually hears.

Like another poster brought up, 9/11 really made a lasting impact on the American psyche, that and the recession that came six years later has burn into the minds of Americans, that we are perpetually on the brink of total collapse, rather than seeing things in a cyclical context.

Old 06-24-2014, 06:37 PM

5,959 posts, read 13,074,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
Here are a few more:

It is much more common for young adults in their 20s to live with their parents. Part of it is driven by economics but I think there is also much less of a generation gap then there was when I was that age in the '90s. Today's parents seem to have a much more indulgent attitude toward the foibles of youth.

Possibly. I will say that popular music for as much as it has changed in the last 30 years between 2014 and 1984, it pales in comparison to how pop culure and music changed between 1984 and 1954. That may have a lot to do with it.

Sexual dynamics have changed in general. Society seems more sexualized than it used to be. The rise of sex positive feminism has made the left much less puritanical. Young people on the right seem to be less rooted in religion and more driven by cultural affiliation, so they are also much less puritanical. People in their 20s seem to be more likely to go through a period of being involved with a few semi-regular partners rather than being strictly monogamous. Nobody seems to be in any hurry to settle down.

I think this began FAR before 2000

In the past, the more flamboyant members of the various bohemian subcultures (aka "hipsters") were generally only found in large numbers in a handful of major cities and college towns. Now you find them in almost every small to midsized city in the country, and sometimes in small towns too. I think part of it is because the economy and extreme gentrification of most of the cities on the coasts that they used to flock to is keeping them closer to home. I think another part of it is from the rise of the internet. Cultural dissemination in this country used to be top down and controlled by a small number of gatekeepers, so in large swathes of the country people were never exposed to niche subcultures unless they traveled, now they are.

Eh, I think the internet hasn't made "the world smaller" any more than TV, movies, and interstate highways did when they were new. Hipster culture has been around for a few years, and has become a bit more mainstream, but as far as I can tell, HIPPIE culture became more widespread in the 70s, and one could find hippie style beyond the origins of San Francisco.

A lot of this is what is what is driving the rise of right wing populism among old white people. The true believers of the Reagan Revolution are having a hard time coming to grips with living in a society that isn't being shaped by their desires.

I would add however, that this is by no means limited just to old people, there are a surprsing number of young people that are
In red.

Old 06-24-2014, 10:38 PM

1,574 posts, read 5,103,585 times
There are a lot more Hispanics all over the place (Northern states), and more Asians in Middle-America.

Much more security measures in place to get from point A to point B.

Crime rates have gone down somewhat.

Old 06-24-2014, 11:39 PM

6,881 posts, read 8,220,720 times
There has been a fundamental shift in the acceptance and acknowledgement of male homosexuality especially in the last 5 years leading up to the July 1, 2013 Supreme Court decision and in the last year especially.

There are many more under 35 year old males from more diverse social-economic groups who seem to be exploring and expanding their sexuality with members of the same sex like I've never seen before. And there are much more public displays of male homosexual affection like french kissing and holding hands.

There is a whole new generation of gay males under 30 who have not fully experienced the same type of oppression older gays experienced and therefore their expectations of monogamy and having their own children are being fully realized.

Old 06-25-2014, 02:08 AM

1,672 posts, read 1,244,558 times
To me, it's kind of sad to see how mainstream electronic music has become. It was so cutting-edge when I was younger. It's in danger of getting discarded like a fad, and there aren't many pioneering forms of music to replace it (that I'm aware of).

I've seen a few Youtube videos of rude people sticking their smartphones in the faces of strangers without their consent, and recording video. One example:.

That's dystopic. Please tell me that behavior isn't becoming the norm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
I think it's safe to say that your experience was not typical. Certainly not in most places, and I doubt it's common even in the few states in which recreational pot is now legal.

I think you just sat next to an idiot.
I hope so. Just because I'm in favor of decriminalizing pot, doesn't mean I want to try it myself.

Very enlightening responses, everyone.

Old 06-26-2014, 12:57 AM

14,176 posts, read 22,662,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Possibly. I will say that popular music for as much as it has changed in the last 30 years between 2014 and 1984, it pales in comparison to how pop culure and music changed between 1984 and 1954. That may have a lot to do with it.
I've reached the conclusion that the switch from analog to digital sound recording has helped "preserve" the sound of music, so to speak. Music from the 1980s sounds less dated today than music from the 1960s did in the 1980s.

Quote:
I think this began FAR before 2000
The sexualization of pop culture did begin long before 2000, but it was around 2000 when it became blatantly shameless and disturbing. Go read the lyrics to "Oochie Wally" by QB Finest. That song was written and recorded in 2000, and got moderate Top 40 radio airplay in 2001. The lyrics made my skin crawl when I first read them, and quite frankly, I don't want to link to them because I don't want to read them again. "Oochie Wally" makes "Me So Horny" and "I Wanna Sex You Up" seem wholesome in comparison, yet somehow it was acceptable for Top 40 radio in 2001. Sex still sells plenty in the 2010s, but we're not getting slapped in the face by it like we were in the 2000s.

Quote:
Eh, I think the internet hasn't made "the world smaller" any more than TV, movies, and interstate highways did when they were new. Hipster culture has been around for a few years, and has become a bit more mainstream, but as far as I can tell, HIPPIE culture became more widespread in the 70s, and one could find hippie style beyond the origins of San Francisco.
What the internet has done more than anything is enable escapism. You can put real life aside by spending all day playing "pretend" on the internet.

Quote:
I would add however, that this is by no means limited just to old people, there are a surprsing number of young people that are
It makes me sad that the only choices we're given are neoliberal social engineering or the Christian equivalent of sharia law. I choose neither. How about common sense for a change?

Old 06-26-2014, 10:43 AM

16,446 posts, read 10,478,892 times
Society has become far more casual in the past 14 years. In 2000, nearly everyone in my church (with a congregation of close to 1,000 people) wore suits or dresses. Fourteen years later, in the same church, almost no one does. In 2000, everyone at my office wore suits or dresses to work. Fourteen years later, in the same office, almost no one does. In 2000, I put on a suit 6 days a week (Saturday was my casual day). Now, I may put one on once or twice in an entire year.

Old 06-26-2014, 11:01 AM

16,446 posts, read 10,478,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormwitch View Post
1. The most notable difference to me at least is that homosexuality has become far more accepted and criticizing homosexuality is now almost a crime. I can remember even as recently as 2008 people were able to speak out against gay marriage and not lose their job, but now if you criticize gays over anything you can expect to get fired. I was in the military during the Don't Ask Don't Tell era but they got rid of it so now gays can openly serve. I myself have nothing against gays but it's amazing how quickly this change happened.
In 2000, my opinion that gay marriage should not be legal was about as mainstream and non-controversial -- and about as unquestioned -- as the opinion that puppies are cute and apple pie is yummy. Fourteen years later, my opinion hasn't changed . . . but expressing it could get me fired, and at the least would force me into "sensitivity training." The speed and the scale of this change has been nothing short of breathtaking.

And for those of you of the liberal bent who have posted comments disparaging conservatives for being uneasy about the pace and direction of societal change, imagine it going the other way. Suppose, in the space of a few years, alcohol was banned, homosexual acts were punishable by imprisonment, dancing was scorned, being seen going to a nightclub could cost you your job, the workday opened with mandatory prayers, white people were given explicit preference in college admissions and hiring decisions . . . and so on. How would you feel? I'll bet you'd be as unhappy with the social trends as conservatives are of the ones that are actually going on now.

You don't have to agree with us, but it couldn't hurt to at least try and walk a mile in our shoes. Maybe you'd be a little more understanding of why we feel the way we do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.