Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 04:26 AM

1,672 posts, read 1,249,381 times

Advertisements

I was born and raised in the USA. In 2000, I left the US, and lived in different countries for the past 14 years. I'm returning to stay in the US, most likely for good. I'm experiencing a little bit of "repatriation anxiety," because it's been so long since I've "lived" in the US, and interacted with regular Americans on a daily basis.

I'm aware of major events like 9/11, the economy, Facebook, smartphones. I pretty much know what the national headlines tell me, from an outside-looking-in kind of perspective. But socially, how would you say people have changed since the end of the 90s? And what would I experience in my day-to-day life (not just people, but regular things like shopping or driving, or even visiting a post office), that wasn't around for me to experience in the 90s?

One example that I experienced in 2008, was the collapse of B&M retail. It was a bit shocking to see Circuit City's going-out-of-business clearance. And the bustling shopping mall from my childhood and teens was reduced to a ghost-town, on a Friday evening, during the holiday season. I'm not even sure if that mall is still around.

Any other examples?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2014, 06:42 AM

27,169 posts, read 43,857,618 times
It's become rather polarized politically in my opinion with the gulf widening from the more moderate center to the extreme right in terms of those who are in favor of unrestricted gun rights, single payer health insurance, anti-tax, anti-government and are in favor of eliminating all social services safety nets for those other than the retired. The neo-conservative/libertarian-types who have become quite vocal concerning those issues are more hateful than they were 15 years ago, and overall it certainly is not the United States I grew up with.

Old 06-23-2014, 07:04 AM

9,522 posts, read 16,503,270 times
I will agree with the above post except I will add. It's not all rosy for retirees either. Some are getting really beat up by the Gov't mainly Federal. At an age when they can't regroup, and make life more productive and fulfilling. Some retirees including myself, have lost a majority of our pensions after retiring. Due to gov't regulations that prevent, multiple sources of retirement income acquired thru decades of employment.

The country as Kyle mentioned is very polarized and has gotten much worse. I don't see how the USA can continue on this path, and remain as one country on a permanent basis.

The USA has become a very violent society, and gun rights seem to be a major issue for many.

I don't feel the USA as a country and as a so called society, takes care of and protects our children anymore. I find it very concerning and it speaks volumes about the mindset in America.

Employment opportunities seem to be mediocre at best, One in need of gainful employment, really needs to consider where the will live on that one. Some regions of the USA are much healthier, concerning employment opportunities than other regions.

I would say in closing there are serious problems in this country, and you will need to adjust to living here. I know I have lived overseas myself, and believe me it took awhile to adjust again. I had more adjusting difficulties than just, having to learn to drive on the American side of the road again.

Give yourself time, and give yourself a break on this return. It will take time to adjust and that is a normal reaction, when you have been outside the USA for so long.

Old 06-23-2014, 07:38 AM

1,975 posts, read 5,210,712 times
In my observations these are some things that are different from the 90s.

1. Internet and social media are ubiquitous in society (except for elderly). People walk around staring at their phones all the time and everyone is connected to the internet. This has made people more antisocial in many ways. At the same time it has made many things in life much more convenient (e.g. shopping, research, paying bills, etc.)

2. The economy is still poor, but despite this people seem to be more superficial than in the 90's.

3. Inner cites are getting better across the board and are seeing gentrification, as they have become popular places to live for many white collar professional types as well as hipsters. The suburban lifestyle has lost it's luster for many in their 20s & 30s, as they want to close to the action of the city.

4. The county is more divided politically with extreme right or left viewpoints.

5. Things cost more and the middle class is struggling. In particular housing seems to be unaffordable for middle class people in many parts of the country (mostly on the coasts).

6. Reality TV dominates.

7. Food and drink are much better, at least in major cities. Restaurants have really stepped up their game over the past decade and there are good craft breweries all over the country.

8. Malls are less popular and new ones don't get built anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
The USA has become a very violent society, and gun rights seem to be a major issue for many.
I disagree with this. The rate of gun violence has actually gone down over the years.

Gun Homicide Rate Down 49% Since 1993 Peak; Public Unaware | Pew Research Center

Although, I agree that gun rights have become more of an issue these days. Probably because of all these mass school shootings we are having combined with increasing political divides.

Old 06-23-2014, 07:51 AM

2,985 posts, read 4,882,037 times
Well, others have touched upon the social and political side of recent American trends. I'll touch upon the change in terms of city planning.

I think that never in history have we made such a sweeping support in "urban living" than we do now. It's a complete change of heart, whereas developers for the past forty decades have been building sprawling suburbs to kingdom come, today no one has money or interest in far-out houses and instead developers want to build dense buildings back within the city center.

There are a number of reasons for this. For one, the economy just doesn't support the suburban lifestyle anymore. In the past, jobs were aplenty so it was the norm for a couple in their early twenties to get a mortgage for a house and start popping babies. Today, no one can afford babies or a house, so young people are flocking city centers as an alternative lifestyle since suburbia had nothing for them anymore except isolation (and low paying jobs compared to bigger cities).

Last edited by GatsbyGatz; 06-23-2014 at 08:18 AM..

Old 06-23-2014, 08:46 AM

7,330 posts, read 15,380,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
Well, others have touched upon the social and political side of recent American trends. I'll touch upon the change in terms of city planning.

I think that never in history have we made such a sweeping support in "urban living" than we do now. It's a complete change of heart, whereas developers for the past forty decades have been building sprawling suburbs to kingdom come, today no one has money or interest in far-out houses and instead developers want to build dense buildings back within the city center.

There are a number of reasons for this. For one, the economy just doesn't support the suburban lifestyle anymore. In the past, jobs were aplenty so it was the norm for a couple in their early twenties to get a mortgage for a house and start popping babies. Today, no one can afford babies or a house, so young people are flocking city centers as an alternative lifestyle since suburbia had nothing for them anymore except isolation (and low paying jobs compared to bigger cities).
I don't think its a lack of options driving young couples back into cities instead of into suburbs. Lots of them are paying a premium to do it, and are even reverse commuting to suburban office parks while living in cities. Families are probably starting a little later, but I also think that's largely a matter of choice. I know plenty of people waiting until they're in their 30s to have kids when they could have afforded it years ago. I think a lot of people simply prefer proximity to what cities (even small cities and towns) offer. I know it's why my wife and I bought a smaller house in a mid-sized city, rather than a big house in the burbs. We'd rather have a little walkability and an easy trip to work and schools than a big house and yard in the burbs.

Back to the OP's question, I think there's generally more worry in the country than there was in 2000, even if a lot of it is unfounded. People worry about crime a lot, even though its lower than it was in 2000 almost everywhere. And yes, there's more political polarization, but i'm starting to think that's largely driven by the political elites and "superusers," so to speak. For people who are really into politics, the polarization permeates everything, but there is some fatigue setting in for everyone else as people tire of the infighting and start looking for solutions. At least that's what I see anecdotally.

Old 06-23-2014, 09:00 AM

3,326 posts, read 8,857,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Lakes View Post
In my observations these are some things that are different from the 90s.

1. Internet and social media are ubiquitous in society (except for elderly). People walk around staring at their phones all the time and everyone is connected to the internet. This has made people more antisocial in many ways. At the same time it has made many things in life much more convenient (e.g. shopping, research, paying bills, etc.)

2. The economy is still poor, but despite this people seem to be more superficial than in the 90's.

3. Inner cites are getting better across the board and are seeing gentrification, as they have become popular places to live for many white collar professional types as well as hipsters. The suburban lifestyle has lost it's luster for many in their 20s & 30s, as they want to close to the action of the city.

4. The county is more divided politically with extreme right or left viewpoints.

5. Things cost more and the middle class is struggling. In particular housing seems to be unaffordable for middle class people in many parts of the country (mostly on the coasts).

6. Reality TV dominates.

7. Food and drink are much better, at least in major cities. Restaurants have really stepped up their game over the past decade and there are good craft breweries all over the country.

8. Malls are less popular and new ones don't get built anymore.

I disagree with this. The rate of gun violence has actually gone down over the years.

Gun Homicide Rate Down 49% Since 1993 Peak; Public Unaware | Pew Research Center

Although, I agree that gun rights have become more of an issue these days. Probably because of all these mass school shootings we are having combined with increasing political divides.
This pretty much sums it up.

Extreme political views have come equally from both sides, although one will always point fingers at the other without much introspection.

Old 06-23-2014, 09:02 AM

27,547 posts, read 28,630,498 times
The stock market had 2 nosedive crashes since then.

But it is back well into record territory now, although maybe not inflation-adjusted.

Old 06-23-2014, 12:59 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,462,489 times
After initially moving to Right after 9/11 the USA has been becoming increasing Liberal. Even many Republicans are now in support of gay marriage, cleaning up the environment, gun control, and health initiatives like smoking/ trans fat bans

Violent crime is down to levels not seen since the 1950s in many cities. Urban neighborhoods are again flourishing

The internet has moderated cultural differences across the nation. You can now listen to smooth jazz stations on your phone/ computer in rural Kentucky and people in LA can watch tv shows about hunting alligators in Louisiana.

Americans are more conscious of their country's reputation worldwide. Many millennials have facebook friends or some type of close contact with people in other continents and care what they think. This contrasts a lot with the Baby Boomers hatred of the French for (correcting) saying Iraq didn't have WMDs, etc.

While most Americans, especially urban and younger people, embrace the country moving forward there are a certain percent of people (most older, rural dwelling Whites) who are in a state of extreme anxiety over these changes. The amount of people stock piling guns and ammo have never been higher.

The health gap between urban / suburban Americans and rural Americans in poorer (usually Republican) states has grown to an alarming level. Life expectancy in affluent urban areas is 10 to 15 years (sometimes more) higher than in poor, rural counties. People in Eastern Kentucky and West Virginia now have shorter life expectancies than people in war torn Iraq!!

Old 06-23-2014, 01:33 PM

4,865 posts, read 4,174,626 times
To sum it up in one word; Paranoia. Every day the sky seems to be falling for one reason or another. Welcome to post 9/11 America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.