U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 10:50 PM

11,810 posts, read 18,841,400 times

Advertisements

Unless the OPs future boys would be walking around naked in public, I fail to see how circumcision can even be considered an issue when choosing a place to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2014, 11:57 PM

12,215 posts, read 10,445,882 times
Mexican people are everywhere in the US now, throughout the South, Midwest, East Coast, up to Idaho & Montana. But if you want an alternative to the Southwest where you can still be "immersed" in Mexican culture, which is relatively affordable, you can try Chicago, Milwaukee or Denver.

Old 06-24-2014, 12:01 AM

16,437 posts, read 19,168,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almeida93 View Post
Stay in Phoenix if you have to. Don't worry about that sheriff or all the racist people there. They are dumb and passive aggressive. All they can do is talk on forums like these or make YouTube videos.
If she is legal there is no worry. No one is going to give her a hard time if she is a legal immigrant. "Dumb and passive agressive"? How insulting to those that want our laws enforced.

Old 06-24-2014, 12:08 AM

1,680 posts, read 3,190,017 times
Honestly I would say that pretty much any major city in Texas (ie Houston, DFW, Austin, San Antonio, El Paso, etc) would work since you have a very large immigrant Mexican/Spanish speaking population, lots of interracial couples (especially white/Hispanic), low cost of living, and lots of job opportunities especially in the construction/oil & gas field. On the positive note you also have a large concentration of educated middle class and wealthy hispanic people in those cities as well so it would be unlikely that your wife or future kids would be discriminated against compared with other areas.

I would also look at Denver as well although the cost of living will be a little bit higher there.

Old 06-24-2014, 12:32 AM

17 posts, read 16,394 times
Well, I didn't think the circumcision comments were going to cause so much debate; my final word on the topic is that neither one of us believe there is any benefit at all to the procedure and we both believe that it is wrong on a moral level. My concern is that I personally know people whose doctors circumcised their sons despite telling them not to. It isn't so much the local society's view on circumcision I'm worried about; it's the local doctors. I don't want to have a doctor who circumcises against my wishes. Any future comments debating the merits of circumcision I will avoid. I've made my decision and I only care about avoiding doctors who will ignore me and do it anyway.

I want to thank everyone else for their good ideas as far as where to live; I had considered Texas; places like El Paso for example.

I have only one question to jtur88: What did I do to deserve the outburst you showed?

Old 06-24-2014, 12:43 PM

2,423 posts, read 3,148,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almeida93 View Post
Stay in Phoenix if you have to. Don't worry about that sheriff or all the racist people there. They are dumb and passive aggressive. All they can do is talk on forums like these or make YouTube videos.
Racist people there? Dumb and aggressive because they want to do their jobs? Geez. What's this world coming to? I'm in CA and I wish we had a Sheriff like that here.

Old 06-24-2014, 07:14 PM

4,460 posts, read 3,769,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Mexican people are everywhere in the US now, throughout the South, Midwest, East Coast, up to Idaho & Montana. But if you want an alternative to the Southwest where you can still be "immersed" in Mexican culture, which is relatively affordable, you can try Chicago, Milwaukee or Denver.
This...Chicago metro area; north, south, east or west Chicagoland; you will be fine as long as you can find stable employment and reasonable housing arrangements.

Good luck!

Old 06-24-2014, 07:56 PM

378 posts, read 355,993 times
Here is the southern half of Michigan you will find that we are very tolerant. In fact you may not be diverse enough for us........being that you are not the same sex.

Outside of a few rural communities, Michigan has always been a tolerant state.
Remember your history, we were the end of the Underground Railroad and birth place of the the Abolitionist Party (Republican Party before it was taken over by the South).

I live in Kalamazoo and nobody of any concern cares about things like interracial marriage. I live in a predominately Mexican neighborhood. I am white with French and Native American heritage and my wife is Korean. My neighbor on the right is a black female with a white husband and on the left they are two white males that deserve to have the right to marry. Across the street we have a middle aged woman that just cannot seem to find a permanent female mate, and the rest of my neighbors are traditional......all be it White and White, Black and Black, Hispanic and Hispanic, ect.

Bottom line, we just do not care about such pettiness here. We live happy lives and do not care about things that do not hurt others.

You would be happy here.

Old 06-25-2014, 08:45 AM

1,314 posts, read 1,742,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeIsWhere... View Post
This...Chicago metro area; north, south, east or west Chicagoland; you will be fine as long as you can find stable employment and reasonable housing arrangements.

Good luck!
For Milwaukee, it's basically inner city SW, south of downtown, west of where the streets start numbering. Much, much smaller than Chicago's Mexican areas, but still significant with tons of stores/restaurants/services geared specifically towards the community. I live just outside it, and I feel there's a pretty strong sense of pride in the neighborhoods there.

Not sure about Denver districts.

Old 06-25-2014, 04:10 PM

4,552 posts, read 3,664,157 times
You are in a very good area considering she is not fluent yet. Lots of Spanish speakers here in Arizona.

If you are looking at areas where your combination is more common, I would probably stick to the Southwest. LA, San Diego, Las Vegas, Tucson, ABQ, El Paso, the rest of Texas... I would assume Colorado and Utah would be good as well. Miami might be a good option for somewhere further East, not sure though.

Even though Arpaio makes headlines often, he has little effect on the lives of Arizonans. Not enough for a strong impact, anyway. I'm not sure why you are worried about him. He is also getting older and will probably retire not to far from now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or