Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 02:37 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,923,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowsAndBeer View Post
Your nebulous point was that people "underestimate" the "dangers" of Oshkosh and overestimate the dangers of ESL. A dog could literally parse that data. I rightly pointed out that you were full of it, and no one has come to your defense because your statement was ridiculous.
Well, you fell short of the dog competency level, then. I said nothing about the safety of Oshkosh, and about ESL, only that it (and everywhere else, including Oshkosh) is less dangerous than most scaredy-cats think it is. Which the video suggested (although it proved nothing except that the poster could not find any evidence of any more threatening street activity).

For your benefit alone, here's what I really said (everyone else got it, whether they agreed with it or not). The average American's perception of Oshkosh is that it is more dangerous than ESL actually is. It would actually be safe to park in a supermarket parking lot in ESL, even after dark, and wheel you groceries in a cart to your car, and not worry about anything. Thousands of people do it every day. But most people would be scared to do that in Oshkosh. Children could play unmonitored in a park in ESL, and make friends with other kids, and have a good time, but parents in Oshkosh would be afraid to let their kids do that. Get it?

See if you can guess (without peeking) which of these is in Oshkosh and which is in East St. Louis.

https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&l...72.89,,0,17.53

https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&l...128.71,,0,9.36

Last edited by jtur88; 06-26-2014 at 03:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2014, 02:52 PM

3,453 posts, read 4,525,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
For your benefit alone, here's what I really said (everyone else got it, whether they agreed with it or not). The average American's perception of Oshkosh is that it is more dangerous than ESL actually is. It would actually be safe to park in a supermarket parking lot in ESL, even after dark, and wheel you groceries in a cart to your car, and not worry about anything. Thousands of people do it every day. But most people would be scared to do that in Oshkosh. Children could play unmonitored in a park in ESL, and make friends with other kids, and have a good time, but parents in Oshkosh would be afraid to let their kids do that. Get it?
I'm not sure I understand this. I used to live in Oshkosh, and I don't know of anyone who was afraid to let their kids play in a park. That's how my son met pretty much all of the friends he didn't meet in school.

I also think you substituted a "ESL" for "Oshkosh" in the bold portion, but I'm not sure which of the two was substituted.

Old 06-26-2014, 03:02 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,516,286 times
Most of Syracuse looks like it had suffered the zombie apocalypse, all of the city south of downtown, Lodi Street on the Northside, and East Fayette specifically. Syracuse looks more burnt out, dilapidated, and gang-infested than anywhere in Chicago (where I lived for eight years), but in terms of actual crime, Syracuse is actually pretty safe.

Old 06-26-2014, 03:10 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,923,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
I'm not sure I understand this. I used to live in Oshkosh, and I don't know of anyone who was afraid to let their kids play in a park. That's how my son met pretty much all of the friends he didn't meet in school.

I also think you substituted a "ESL" for "Oshkosh" in the bold portion, but I'm not sure which of the two was substituted.
Why is this so difficult? I am comparing two things:

A) level of fear that typical Americans feel in unfamiliar places like Oshkosh, scale 1-10

B) level of danger that actually exists in places like East St. Louis, scale 1-10.

A is higher, because Americans have been indoctrinated with the media hype that there is so much danger everywhere. So, East St. Louis is "unbelievably safe", because it is safer than people believe it is. So is Oshkosh, where you don't need to lock your car, but people believe they do. So both meet the criteria of "unbelievably safe", and so does everywhere else.

Take, for example, the number of children, per year, in the whole USA who are abducted by strangers and not returned unharmed within 24 hours. What is your guess of how many, per year. Actual number below.

Spoiler
Fifty. An average of 115 stranger abductions, more than half returned quickly and unharmed.

Last edited by JMT; 06-27-2014 at 09:17 AM..

Old 06-26-2014, 11:42 PM

28 posts, read 26,088 times
I live in Sioux falls SD an its very safe here. Really the most dangerous people here are the police, the attourneys and the judges. Don't come up here an argue with a woman on a street corner, you are going to jail and one thing Sioux falls loves more than anything is throwing the book at people and handing out long prison sentances.

that's why there so little crime here. People are afraid of the police and the system here. There fears are very justified.

but there's still thieves, meth heads and general lowlife losers here. Like anywhere its mostly how you carry yourself and who you affiliate yourself with.

Old 06-27-2014, 07:38 AM

93,157 posts, read 123,754,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
Most of Syracuse looks like it had suffered the zombie apocalypse, all of the city south of downtown, Lodi Street on the Northside, and East Fayette specifically. Syracuse looks more burnt out, dilapidated, and gang-infested than anywhere in Chicago (where I lived for eight years), but in terms of actual crime, Syracuse is actually pretty safe.
Yes, those are some of the poorest and oldest parts of the city, but like I tell everyone, it really is a "Don't start none and there will be none" city, in that regard. To be fair, there are some very nice areas of the city, including south of Downtown like this area, for an example:
http://goo.gl/maps/hlV46

So, even within Syracuse, you can get a range of neighborhoods on the same side of town.

Old 06-27-2014, 07:53 AM

32,915 posts, read 36,310,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Virginia Beach, huh? It's not that there isn't any crime, but the police respond quickly. They want a clean town where people want to vacation and spend money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.