U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 03:02 AM

268 posts, read 344,892 times

Advertisements

So I'm from the East Coast, South Jersey/Philly to be exact, and sarcasm is a normal part of communication. Everyone gets it, even if they don't use it.

Now, I live in Phoenix and nobody understands sarcasm. Is this an Arizona thing or is the NE the only part of the country that uses sarcasm regularly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2014, 08:32 AM

21,185 posts, read 30,343,833 times
I think pretty much the Northeast corridor only. I have actually hurt people's feelings in other areas of the country (NC and now FL) with my sarcasm. Tedious...

Old 06-24-2014, 12:29 PM

32,364 posts, read 59,796,813 times
I noticed that lack of understanding in moving the 250 miles from Cleveland to Cincinnati.

Old 06-24-2014, 03:23 PM

556 posts, read 631,199 times
It seems to be centralized around northeastern Oklahoma and western portions of Colorado. This depends on the phases of the moon obviously.

Old 06-24-2014, 04:23 PM

5,847 posts, read 11,015,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petroglyphin View Post
It seems to be centralized around northeastern Oklahoma and western portions of Colorado. This depends on the phases of the moon obviously.
sarcasm doesn't mean crazy.

It essentially means to make a mockery out of something while pointing out the obvious.
Usually the person that it is directed at doesn't understand that they are being mocked.

People from Downstate NY (Dutchess County and South, including NYC and Long Island), NJ, Boston and the Philadelphia areas are masters at it.

Old 06-24-2014, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petroglyphin View Post
This completely answered my question. Thanks.

Old 06-24-2014, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
sarcasm doesn't mean crazy.

It essentially means to make a mockery out of something while pointing out the obvious.
Usually the person that it is directed at doesn't understand that they are being mocked.

People from Downstate NY (Dutchess County and South, including NYC and Long Island), NJ, Boston and the Philadelphia areas are masters at it.
But sarcasm can be funny! It's not necessarily used to mock people, but often ridiculous situations. I mean, people in those areas you mentioned sometimes have really bad attitudes as well, but sarcasm and dry humor really complement each other. For some people. I guess not everybody.

Old 06-24-2014, 05:26 PM

5,847 posts, read 11,015,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlohaFriday View Post
But sarcasm can be funny! It's not necessarily used to mock people, but often ridiculous situations. I mean, people in those areas you mentioned sometimes have really bad attitudes as well, but sarcasm and dry humor really complement each other. For some people. I guess not everybody.
If it isn't funny, it isn't fun.

I'm origianlly from that area, and most of the people there have pretty decent attitudes (unless they are from South Jersey)

Old 06-24-2014, 05:36 PM

Ouch. That was mean. And uncalled for. Nobody said sarcasm had to be at somebody's expense. Obviously, some people do make jokes at other's expense. Like you just did.

I hope your day gets better and you no longer feel the need to make anonymous jabs on the internet.

Old 06-24-2014, 07:09 PM

4,664 posts, read 3,611,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlohaFriday View Post
So I'm from the East Coast, South Jersey/Philly to be exact, and sarcasm is a normal part of communication. Everyone gets it, even if they don't use it.

Now, I live in Phoenix and nobody understands sarcasm. Is this an Arizona thing or is the NE the only part of the country that uses sarcasm regularly?
It's a Northeast thing, especially Philly-NYC, where, as you stated, people communicate that way. Cleveland is sarcastic as well but I don't think it goes further west or south from there. Chicago doesn't get or like sarcasm; I think it's funny but people there do not have sarcastic humor. Tina Fey, a native of Philly, said the same thing about Chicago. I lived there and people didn't like it at all. I live in Philly currently and fit-in fine as I did in New York when I lived there.

Can't imagine how awful it must be in Arizona.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or