Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 06:01 PM

447 posts, read 495,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Man 1 View Post
How is that obvious? There are plenty of newer cities with more interesting histories than older cities. Off the top of my head: Seattle has a much more interesting history than Des Moines (Iowa)
Bad example as Des Moines' was incorporated as a city only 18 years before Seattle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2014, 06:08 PM

1,207 posts, read 1,281,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westernwilly View Post
Bad example as Des Moines' was incorporated as a city only 18 years before Seattle.
Not to say that Seattle has more interesting history than Des Moines, but I think a city's history goes beyond the date that it was incorporated.

Old 06-24-2014, 06:13 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,889,348 times
Yeah, the fact that PHX is built upon a native city from a thousand years ago is such useless information, not to mention Spanish colonial and early Mexican history relevant to the area. Obviously the only history that counts in America is the English speaking East Coast narrative from the narrow time frame of the last 200 or so years. Just dismiss the culture and heritage of these new, cultureless, manufactured, sunbelt, flyover cities. The native and mestizo history just doesn't matter. Right guys?

Old 06-24-2014, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petroglyphin View Post
Have you ever heard of native americans?
Believe it or not, Native Americans existed in every state. In fact, most eastern states had a lot more than Arizona ever had!
We tend to think of Native Americans in the west because that is the last area of this country to be settled and thus, the most resent area of where Native American have lived with their culture intact. The fact is, the Great Lake region had the highest Native America population in North America before Europeans settle this land. Many moved west, but most where assimilated into the population.

A lot of people do not know that Notre Dame University was founded because Native Americans that had been living and breading with French settlers, wanted to show the new US Government that they were both civilized and educated. The American Government sent Baptist missionaries to the area to set up a school for them, but they were sent packing as the Native Americans in the area were Catholic and demanded to have their beliefs respected. Thankfully, French Jesuits stepped up and helped these good people (my ancestors) and built what is now The University of Notre Dame..............how they ever became the Fighting Irish is a different story.

Old 06-24-2014, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
Las Vegas has very interesting history especially pertaining to the mob.

I would say places like Charlotte, Atlanta, San Diego, Phoenix, Seattle, Portland, etc. have the least interesting history.
Atlanta has the American Civil War.

Old 06-24-2014, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlando-calrissian View Post
Not to say that Seattle has more interesting history than Des Moines, but I think a city's history goes beyond the date that it was incorporated.
I agree that Seattle has a more interesting history than Des Moines. I was only stating that using the two as an example that an older city (Des Moines) could have a lot less history than a newer city (Seattle) was a bad example, being that they are both about the same age. Better to make the point by comparing Seattle to Mobile, Al (incorporated in 1819).

Old 06-24-2014, 06:36 PM

555 posts, read 861,425 times
Either way...worthless thread if you arent taking into account all history...not just us 'americans'. : sigh :

Old 06-24-2014, 06:43 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,001,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Yeah, but theres still a lot there to keep a history buff occupied, depending on where you are in SoCal.
Although there is a lot of colonial, and prehistoric history around here, One of my favorite things to do when (and If) I have free time is visit movie locations. The "Red Sea" from CB DeMilles original Ten Commandments is walking distance form my House.

The Building that build the second and third stage of the Saturn V are very nearby and so are little relics of the space program within the city.

Old 06-24-2014, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cacto View Post
Yeah, the fact that PHX is built upon a native city from a thousand years ago is such useless information, not to mention Spanish colonial and early Mexican history relevant to the area. Obviously the only history that counts in America is the English speaking East Coast narrative from the narrow time frame of the last 200 or so years. Just dismiss the culture and heritage of these new, cultureless, manufactured, sunbelt, flyover cities. The native and mestizo history just doesn't matter. Right guys?
The largest Native American settlement in North America was Cohokiia (present day East St. Louise, Ill). This was the crossroads of the continent and the central trading post where all Native American met to exchange goods. ie. copper from the UP of Michigan for turquoise from the Southwest.

I am not dismissing the history of the Native America in the Southwest, but only stating the fact that in this category, there is history throughout the country. Being there where more Native Americans east of the Mississippi, then it is only logical that there is more richer of a history with them in the eastern states.

Note: Look into the French and Indian War and you will see ground work of how this country came to be. Without it, the American Revolution would have never happened when it did and this country would not look like it does.............to give you an idea what I mean, I would be typing this response in French right now from the nation of Quebec (New France) .

Old 06-24-2014, 07:01 PM

6,884 posts, read 8,260,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westernwilly View Post

A lot of people do not know that Notre Dame University was founded because Native Americans that had been living and breading with French settlers, wanted to show the new US Government that they were both civilized and educated. The American Government sent Baptist missionaries to the area to set up a school for them, but they were sent packing as the Native Americans in the area were Catholic and demanded to have their beliefs respected. Thankfully, French Jesuits stepped up and helped these good people (my ancestors) and built what is now The University of Notre Dame..............how they ever became the Fighting Irish is a different story.
I find this interesting! This is the kind of history that I find interesting.

Such as, The way a predominately Italian blue-collar neighborhood (SF's North Beach Neighborhood) turned predominately Chinese with one of the most expensive urban real estate markets in the country yet, some of the poorest Chinese still live there as in SF's North Beach/Chinatown - all this evolved in 50 years.

Or the way the white Spanish mixed with California native Indians and set-up a way of life that existed for 300 years, only to fall to English speaking white Americans in the mid 1800's which completely dominated the culture, language and land for the next 150 years, yet ironically they kept Spanish city, town and road names.

And how the Spanish language never really went away in California and is back to "dominating" the land and culture again. Today, If you are under 30 in Los Angeles, you are at a major disadvantage if you don't speak Spanish - socially or culturally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.