Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 10:40 PM

4 posts, read 4,592 times

Advertisements

Hi, we're looking to relocate(it's the two of us, age 27 and 30, and our child, 4). Currently we're in Sacramento, CA, but I'm originally from Atlanta. I don't like the weather, it's too expensive, everything to do is a long drive(tahoe, SF, everything is 2+ hrs away), etc. I'd love some advice and opinions on where would best suit us. We just want a good place to settle down. I'd like to eventually purchase a home for ~$80-100k with a decently sized yard(9k+ is decent to me, more is better).

I've been looking at a few places. Michigan, South Dakota, and Colorado sound appealing, but there's just so many places to live in every state that I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed. We'd like to stay away from the south and east coast(relatively close to Sacramento would be nice since the husband's family lives here, but not necessary). Western Washington looks great but a little pricey.

Ideal qualities for new area:
- Low crime. Decent school system.
- Weather: 4 seasons. No deserts or really hot summers. Rain and overcast is fine with me.
- Low cost of living/affordable.
- No harsh, natural disaster-type weather(hurricanes, earthquakes, etc).
- Not too urban, maybe more rural. Less than 100k pop would be good, but more is doable.
- Good scenery, nature and outdoorsy. Forests, parks, etc. Lakes/rivers are good.
- More liberal, tolerant people; less conservatives.
- Good air quality. Low pollution in general.
- Farmer's markets nearby.

Stuff that doesn't matter/I don't need:
Public transport, lots of shopping or restaurants, near a big city, racial diversity or lack thereof, nightlife.

I know some of the goals I wrote are contradictory, such as low COL and low crime, but hopefully there is a place that matches us well. Thanks for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2014, 01:39 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,065,266 times
Look into Asheville NC. Nice place that might fit your criteria, we've always had a good time when we have vacationed there..
https://www.google.ca/#q=asheville+n...na&safe=active

http://www.carolinapartners.com/uplo...lle-photos.jpg

Old 06-25-2014, 02:49 AM

13,824 posts, read 29,814,960 times
The only place sub $100K you'll find in Colorado will be in a desert/plains type situation, with anything east of or along I-25 subject to severe thunderstorms/tornado warnings during summer, and the occasional blizzard during winter.

What you're really looking for is a cheap college town (based on your criteria), but given your parameters I can't think of any that exists. Your criteria, TBH adds up to a dying/economically depressed/rust belt type of place.

A few that kind of fit:

Vineland, NJ
Terre Haute, IN
Muncie, IN
Lawrence, KS
Battle Creek, MI

Old 06-25-2014, 03:06 AM

261 posts, read 415,811 times
Bowling Green, Kentucky.

Chapel Hill, NC

Bloomington, Ind.

Charlottesville Va.

Roanoke, VA

Johnson City/Kingsport/Bristol TN

Carbondale, Illinois

Clarksville, TN

Murfreesboro, TN

Old 06-25-2014, 03:18 AM

4 posts, read 4,592 times
Yeah, I feel like our budget's really limiting us, but since we work online, I was hoping that we could find a place that may be a little bad for general employment but still is a good place to live. Sadly, growing up, 100k was plenty to buy a house(back in Georgia), but the husband has southern-o-phobia or something. I'm not expecting to buy a new house for 100k, but an older one we could fix up -- not a total fixer, but an older house or something.

Thanks guys, I'll look up those places you mentioned.

Old 06-25-2014, 06:47 AM

92,260 posts, read 122,526,056 times
Actually, parts of Upstate NY could work. I'd look in and around small towns with a college. Areas I had in mind were in and/or around Morrisville, Hamilton, Aurora, Ithaca, Geneva, Clinton, Plattsburgh, Potsdam/Canton, Oneonta, etc. Location would be the issue, as that would mean moving east, but you can find decent homes within that price range up here. RealtyUSA - Property - Property-List

RealtyUSA - Property - Property-List

realtor.com

realtor.com

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 06-25-2014 at 07:16 AM..

Old 06-25-2014, 07:01 AM

5,254 posts, read 5,979,523 times
Kalamazoo will meet those criteria with a lower cost of living. Also you can look into Fort Wayne, South Bend.
Grand Rapids has a lower cost of living and a strong Job/ real estate market, but may be too urban based on your descriptions.

Old 06-25-2014, 07:02 AM

92,260 posts, read 122,526,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
Kalamazoo will meet those criteria with a lower cost of living. Also you can look into Fort Wayne, South Bend.
Grand Rapids has a lower cost of living and a strong Job/ real estate market, but may be too urban based on your descriptions.
I'd say that the Lansing area could work too.

Old 06-25-2014, 08:58 AM

1,359 posts, read 2,470,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertyasdf View Post
Bowling Green, Kentucky.

Chapel Hill, NC

Bloomington, Ind.

Charlottesville Va.

Roanoke, VA

Johnson City/Kingsport/Bristol TN

Carbondale, Illinois

Clarksville, TN

Murfreesboro, TN
Chapel Hill's real estate will be FAR too expensive. Ditto with Bowling Green, Charlottesville, and even Roanoke.

Based on the criteria, a college town in Upstate NY or the Midwest appears to be the best bet.

Old 06-25-2014, 09:41 AM

26,909 posts, read 43,427,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mossfig View Post
We just want a good place to settle down. I'd like to eventually purchase a home for ~$80-100k with a decently sized yard(9k+ is decent to me, more is better).

Ideal qualities for new area:
- Low crime. Decent school system.
- Weather: 4 seasons. No deserts or really hot summers. Rain and overcast is fine with me.
- Low cost of living/affordable.
- No harsh, natural disaster-type weather(hurricanes, earthquakes, etc).
- Not too urban, maybe more rural. Less than 100k pop would be good, but more is doable.
- Good scenery, nature and outdoorsy. Forests, parks, etc. Lakes/rivers are good.
- More liberal, tolerant people; less conservatives.
- Good air quality. Low pollution in general.
- Farmer's markets nearby.

Stuff that doesn't matter/I don't need:
Public transport, lots of shopping or restaurants, near a big city, racial diversity or lack thereof, nightlife.
I agree regarding the "midwest college town" approach, especially given the desire for a more liberal/tolerant environment and a lower cost of living (including property taxes). Some instances with home values in line include Bloomington IN, Champaign IL, Lafayette/West Lafayette IN, Kalamazoo MI, Duluth MN and Lansing MI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.