U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 04:34 PM

22,331 posts, read 32,166,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Texas had 44 Billionaires by last count. The Wealthiest being Alice Walton at an estimated $34.3 billion.

Pennsylvania has 7. The wealthiest being Mary Alice Malone at an estimated $2.8 billion.

Again, when COL is factored in it pays to be wealthy in Texas versus California or New York.

The rich only continue to get richer in Texas.
.000000000000 whatever

are you one of them?

At least you are persistent - ill-advised but persistent

Old 06-30-2014, 04:39 PM

5,286 posts, read 4,160,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post
It is full of people who are proud of something they did NOTHING to achieve.

I am saddened whenever somebody says they are proud to be from somewhere... you are literally proud of something of which you had NO control over. Isn't pride suppose to be reserved for something you have actually done?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIG4-03Gru4

People are just pleased with where they were born. Proud is a silly word for it.

That said, for the most part I like Texas, it is on my list of possible moves. I am just hearing out peoples' pride of being from there.
I have to admit I never thought of it that way but it makes sense! So I'm happy to be a native Texan. Still proud to be Black though.

Old 06-30-2014, 04:46 PM

12,334 posts, read 10,313,168 times
Quote:
Remember The Alamo?

I'd gladly accept Phil Collins as a true Texan any day for what he did.

He says he was amazed by Texas the first time he toured here in 73 & has been infatuated with its history & people ever since.

Phil Collins donates revolution artifacts to the Alamo - CBS News

All I got out of the article is that he is fascinated with the story of the Alamo. No mention of him loving Texas or being amazed by Texas.

Do you know how many of us can find entertainers or celebs that like a particular place? Says nothing about your state. Your state can brag about the rich getting richer, but I'd rather have lower poverty rates such as PA does compared to Texas. Texas is near the bottom when it comes to lowest poverty rates. Texas at #46 isn't something to be proud of.

Old 06-30-2014, 04:47 PM

12,521 posts, read 23,111,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post
How many "proud Texans" alive today fought at the Alamo?
I consider myself a Texan 1st, American 2nd.

Old 06-30-2014, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
All I got out of the article is that he is fascinated with the story of the Alamo. No mention of him loving Texas or being amazed by Texas.

Do you know how many of us can find entertainers or celebs that like a particular place? Says nothing about your state. Your state can brag about the rich getting richer, but I'd rather have lower poverty rates such as PA does compared to Texas. Texas is near the bottom when it comes to lowest poverty rates. Texas at #46 isn't something to be proud of.
It says A LOT when a millionaire musician spanning nearly 4 decades buys Texas artifacts instead of Ferrari's or Lamborghini's in his spare time.

The Alamo is every bit connected with Texas History. Do you know where Davy Crockett National Forest is? I'll give you a clue its no where near San Antonio. Davy Crockett was Phi'ls idol since he was 5 years old.

Davy Crockett - "You May All Go To Hell, & I Will Go To Texas"

Do you know where Texas' independence from Mexico was won? Not San Antonio or The Alamo, but rather the Battle of San Jacinto right outside of Houston along the Texas Coast.

Houston, as well as Galveston Island were at one point the Capital of Texas before Austin.

Texas History should be required learning for everyone, not just Texans.

Last edited by Metro Matt; 06-30-2014 at 05:07 PM..

Old 06-30-2014, 05:21 PM

3,147 posts, read 2,941,809 times
Quote:
I consider myself a Texan 1st, American 2nd.

That DOESN'T matter in the context of this conversation, it is still silly to be "proud" of something you had no say in. Something that you DID NOT do.

Old 06-30-2014, 05:23 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,265,827 times
Quote:
We're Texans, we're wealthy, & we know it.

We rank 2nd in total number of Millionaires & 3rd in total number of Billionaires.

When COL is factored in Texas is #1 for both.

Which States Have the Most Millionaires?*|*Reboot Illinois

Top 9 States With The Most Billionaires
You're wealthy? Don't you live with your mom in Tyler?

Old 06-30-2014, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
You're wealthy? Don't you live with your mom in Tyler?
Tyler is one of the wealthiest small cities in Texas FYI.

Its basically the Dallas of East Texas in that regard.

Old 06-30-2014, 05:53 PM

261 posts, read 332,910 times
Quote:
On a strange note, Whataburger (Texas' version of In-N-Out) is the only place in Texas where you can legally ride a horse through the drive-thru lane.
You mean to say that it's legal to ride a horse thru the drive thru at Whataburger but it's against the law to ride a horse thru the drive thru at MacDonalds, Burger King, Jack In The Box, Wendy's and all the other fast food places...Even though they are all on private property?.. Are you serious? I've never heard that. It could be a store policy, but I seriously doubt it's the law. And even if it's a store policy, I doubt any of those places would refuse service to somebody riding a horse up to the drive thru window. In fact, I'd say the person at the window would be more liable to give some oats and water to the horse than to call the law.

Old 06-30-2014, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertyasdf View Post
You mean to say that it's legal to ride a horse thru the drive thru at Whataburger but it's against the law to ride a horse thru the drive thru at MacDonalds, Burger King, Jack In The Box, Wendy's and all the other fast food places...Even though they are all on private property?.. Are you serious? I've never heard that. It could be a store policy, but I seriously doubt it's the law. And even if it's a store policy, I doubt any of those places would refuse service to somebody riding a horse up to the drive thru window. In fact, I'd say the person at the window would be more liable to give some oats and water to the horse than to call the law.
Google it.

23 things you didn't know about Whataburger.

They were also the inventer of the 1/4 pounder, not McDonalds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or