U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2014, 08:50 AM

2,536 posts, read 2,031,464 times

Advertisements

As a native:

State pride unlike any other (for better or worse)

Likely the only state with swamp-like tropical humidity and extremely arid dry heat

Good looking women of all sizes, races and shapes...not just skinny and "fit"

Conservative suburbs and rural areas, liberal big cities

Great food. Natives know where the mom and pop joints are, but out-of-towners only notice the fast food chains.

The mistaken assumption that being ultra pro-business is 100% positive. We have the highest uninsured rate in the nation with poor K-12 schools in many towns and cities. Universities are OK, though.

Vast.

BBQ with no sauce. A lot of Central Texas natives love the German/Czech style of meat with no sauce, but I think of that as smoked meat and not BBQ. East Texas gets it right by combining pork, chicken and beef and using tangy sauces with a hint of sweetness.

Old 06-29-2014, 02:08 PM

1,819 posts, read 3,440,249 times
Default boredatwork

my unconscious mind would perceive Yosemite Sam.

Old 06-29-2014, 03:42 PM

12,623 posts, read 15,085,832 times
I have visited Texas (Houston, Dallas, Austin, and El Paso) many times for business. Everything has an emphasis on being "big". Weather was usually humid (especially Houston). I saw a lot of emphasis on how business friendly the state was. People seemed conservative, but non-judgmental. I found the food to be very varied and good. All of the cities I visited felt very diverse, except El Paso, which felt very Hispanic.

Old 06-29-2014, 03:55 PM

939 posts, read 1,262,805 times
Oppressively hot weather: hot and muggy in the East and dry grassland in the West.

The baddest state filled with people you don't want to mess with

Southern-sounding accent

Cowboys

Cigarettes

Guns

Construction

Ribs and steak

Meat

More meat

Fast food

Big portions of food

Fat people

Pickup trucks

H-E-B

Big houses on big lots. Nobody walks, everyone drives on wide freeways

Religious and ultra-conservative except Austin, which thinks it's God's gift to Texas

The death penalty

Mexicans

Old 06-29-2014, 06:08 PM

13,403 posts, read 21,218,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post

Which is why Texas' economy is growing leaps & bounds ahead of its blue state counter parts...

Texas' conservative politics is the reason none of our cities filed for bankruptcy during the economic recession like "other" unmentionable states & you know who I'm talking about.
Yes, thats all the reason why. Demonizing gay people and the religious right are the whole reason why the economy is good here. Never mind places where the economy is just as good (like Minnesota, Boston, or Northern California) and aren't conservative.

Old 06-29-2014, 06:12 PM

13,403 posts, read 21,218,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I honestly can't believe he said that.
You can't?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I also think Texas is too diverse for its own good.
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Yeah like threatening "secession" and the destruction of the USA. Real patriotic there Texas.
A petition for secession. A whopping .004% of the state population signed it. They are a minority fringe group, not the average Texas mindset.

Old 06-29-2014, 07:40 PM

83 posts, read 111,773 times
It keeps surprising me with how big it is. I was planning a trip last week from New Orleans to El Paso. Now, I drive a lot between New Orleans and Atlanta, that's comfortably a full day of driving. But driving New Orleans to El Paso.... The mileage is daunting. I was thinking of driving New Orleans to San Antonio in one day. So that would also take up a day on the way back. And the middle day would be venturing from San Antonio out as far west as possible while having enough time to double back in the same day. Still a stretch to make it to El Paso!

Also, a lot of people think "Texas" when people say "Southern" (have heard this from some British friends...I'm guessing because of George Bush), as if Texas is the epitome of Southern-ness. Growing up down South, I don't see it that way at all; Texas is too different to be an exemplar of Southern-ness, though it definitely has some of it flavored in.

Old 06-29-2014, 08:06 PM

18,649 posts, read 27,087,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
You can't?

Thank you.

A petition for secession. A whopping .004% of the state population signed it. They are a minority fringe group, not the average Texas mindset.
I know, it's shocking.

Old 06-29-2014, 09:38 PM

9,438 posts, read 18,355,294 times
To me Texas is neither as great as many natives proclaim it to be, nor is it as horrible as many outsider's stereotypical perceptions of it. Its culture and pride in certain parts and from certain people there can be very difficult to digest. The food is very good and I do appreciate the extroverted friendliness every time I visit. Austin and San Antonio are my favorite cities, Dallas does nothing for me, and I can't say Houston would ever be on my bucket list. I would like to see South Padre Island, go back to Austin again and maybe check out the Hill Country. Rick Perry is an asshat. No matter who the next governor is they will probably improve the states reputation once Perry is out of office. Not fair to judge the state based on him but he certainly isn't doing any favors to help the state's image.

Old 06-30-2014, 12:47 AM

3,530 posts, read 4,269,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
To me Texas is neither as great as many natives proclaim it to be, nor is it as horrible as many outsider's stereotypical perceptions of it. Its culture and pride in certain parts and from certain people there can be very difficult to digest. The food is very good and I do appreciate the extroverted friendliness every time I visit. Austin and San Antonio are my favorite cities, Dallas does nothing for me, and I can't say Houston would ever be on my bucket list. I would like to see South Padre Island, go back to Austin again and maybe check out the Hill Country. Rick Perry is an asshat. No matter who the next governor is they will probably improve the states reputation once Perry is out of office. Not fair to judge the state based on him but he certainly isn't doing any favors to help the state's image.
Wow. You totally got it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or