U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 01:39 PM

6,490 posts, read 16,173,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
You may find something that you are looking for in Orange County's Ortega, Brea, Silverado or Trabuco Canyon Areas. Surprisingly rural areas surrounded by everything you you could possibly want.
With that budget though?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2014, 01:56 PM

76 posts, read 108,594 times
My first reaction was Northern California or Southern Oregon, although I don't know what the cost of rent is in that area. I assume cheaper than most of the west coast.

Old 06-26-2014, 02:45 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,404,127 times
It would also be helpful to know if "beach" means "beach for swimming" or just a sandy shore on a body of water. You'll only be able to swim in the more expensive SoCal areas along the West Coast. If that's not a consideration, somewhere like Oregon would probably be your best bet.

Old 06-27-2014, 12:03 AM

4,552 posts, read 3,654,765 times
Lake Tahoe region could work. Very beautiful. Not sure about rent prices, but I think it's cheaper on the Nevada side.

Old 06-27-2014, 06:06 AM

21,207 posts, read 30,427,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Hawaii would be your only option.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Not even close to her budget.
She edited after my post, so....

Old 06-27-2014, 06:42 AM

56,738 posts, read 81,061,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Weather may actually be the biggest barrier in terms of the criteria, because a place that comes to mind is Plattsburgh NY. It has a city freshwater beach that is free to city residents and about 5 dollars a car for town of Plattsburgh residents. It is also minutes from the Adirondack Mountains too. Overall COL is around, if not a little below the national average and the area it is in is marketed as the Adirondack Coast: GoAdirondack.com-Home Page There are other communities further south on Lake Champlain that may work as well outside of winter weather. Here is some more info: Port Henry - Moriah

Town of Ticonderoga

City of Plattsburgh Recreation Department

Lake George Beaches - Million Dollar Beach, Shepards Park & Ushers Park Beaches In Lake George NY
You may find something near mountains and a lakefront beach as the best bet.
If you are actually consider this area, you may find some properties that fit: Hague Real Estate - 6 Sno Pappy, Hague, NY, 12836

Ticonderoga Real Estate - 903 NYS Rte 9N, Ticonderoga, NY, 12883

Ticonderoga Real Estate - 1845 NYS Rte 9N, Ticonderoga, NY, 12883

Old 06-27-2014, 01:24 PM

5,707 posts, read 8,775,783 times
Lake Jocasee in upstate SC has a very nice beach (devil's fork park) and mountains/national forest nearby.

Still a little colder than the OP wants but at least the high temps should be well above 40 in the winter.

Definitely in the budget. Possibly even to buy.

CH, I know you love the upstate NY but the weather is so far out of the OP's preference I have to ask why?????

Old 06-27-2014, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
Lake Jocasee in upstate SC has a very nice beach (devil's fork park) and mountains/national forest nearby.

Still a little colder than the OP wants but at least the high temps should be well above 40 in the winter.

Definitely in the budget. Possibly even to buy.

CH, I know you love the upstate NY but the weather is so far out of the OP's preference I have to ask why?????
I already said that OUTSIDE of the winter weather, that area fits. There aren't too many areas that fit all of the OP's criteria and I mentioned to them to look for mountainous areas with lakefront beaches. It doesn't have anything to do with liking any location.

Old 06-27-2014, 06:51 PM

5,707 posts, read 8,775,783 times
I agree that a lakefront beach will be her cheapest option if she wants swimmable. Still not warm enough if she wants lows above 40.

I'd say her best shot is caretaker on an estate in Southern California, but how easy are those positions to come by?

Old 06-27-2014, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
I agree that a lakefront beach will be her cheapest option if she wants swimmable. Still not warm enough if she wants lows above 40.

I'd say her best shot is caretaker on an estate in Southern California, but how easy are those positions to come by?
Your suggestion may be a good fit given that the OP said that they are flexible. I was wondering if any other locations in the Blue Ridge Mountains could work, but wasn't sure about lake beaches in that area. Georgia may have something too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or