U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 10:27 AM

1 posts, read 1,281 times

Advertisements

I am looking for a place for me and my two boys to live that is in the mountains where we have some acreage to run around in the "wilderness", but also live not too far from the beach. Would like it to be within 25 minutes, but I am flexible. Would also like the home, or even land I can build on, to have at least 7 acres, or next to a national forest or something. I prefer the weather not to get below 40 degrees, but again I'm flexible. I am self-employed/work from home, so I can work from anywhere. Cost of living, I prefer rent $1500 or less, or to buy property.

I love what I see and hear of Wyoming, Montana, and Colorado, but they are a little cooler and not close to the beach. If you know of a good town in any of them though that has large bodies of water and near the mountains, that would work. The warmer the better though.

Any place out there like this??

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2014, 10:32 AM

21,187 posts, read 30,351,954 times
Hawaii would be your only option.

Old 06-26-2014, 10:58 AM

8,452 posts, read 11,431,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Hawaii would be your only option.
Not even close to her budget.

Old 06-26-2014, 10:59 AM

56,546 posts, read 80,847,919 times
Weather may actually be the biggest barrier in terms of the criteria, because a place that comes to mind is Plattsburgh NY. It has a city freshwater beach that is free to city residents and about 5 dollars a car for town of Plattsburgh residents. It is also minutes from the Adirondack Mountains too. Overall COL is around, if not a little below the national average and the area it is in is marketed as the Adirondack Coast: GoAdirondack.com-Home Page There are other communities further south on Lake Champlain that may work as well outside of winter weather. Here is some more info: Port Henry - Moriah

Town of Ticonderoga

City of Plattsburgh Recreation Department

Lake George Beaches - Million Dollar Beach, Shepards Park & Ushers Park Beaches In Lake George NY
You may find something near mountains and a lakefront beach as the best bet.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 06-26-2014 at 11:49 AM..

Old 06-26-2014, 11:07 AM

5,655 posts, read 3,642,101 times
Not counting the budget issue, the Big Island of Hawaii would be perfect. Not counting the temperature issue, Ceour d'Alene, Idaho might be a good choice.

Otherwise, I agree that the best bet would be to pick a mountainous area that you like, then finding a nearby lake.

Old 06-26-2014, 11:25 AM

6,488 posts, read 16,150,620 times
Sonsonate, El Salvador or La Ceiba, Honduras?

Mountains + ocean beach + warm + that low budget = the less-popular areas of Central America are probably your best bet. Can't think of a single area in the US that meets all of those criteria. Agree with the others that in the US, finding a mountainous area with a nearby lake will yield some options.

Old 06-26-2014, 11:26 AM

605 posts, read 1,235,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom777 View Post
I am looking for a place for me and my two boys to live that is in the mountains where we have some acreage to run around in the "wilderness", but also live not too far from the beach. Would like it to be within 25 minutes, but I am flexible. Would also like the home, or even land I can build on, to have at least 7 acres, or next to a national forest or something. I prefer the weather not to get below 40 degrees, but again I'm flexible. I am self-employed/work from home, so I can work from anywhere. Cost of living, I prefer rent $1500 or less, or to buy property.

I love what I see and hear of Wyoming, Montana, and Colorado, but they are a little cooler and not close to the beach. If you know of a good town in any of them though that has large bodies of water and near the mountains, that would work. The warmer the better though.

Any place out there like this??

Thanks!
Might want to consider living in the coastal range of Oregon. Another place that pretty much meets your criteria is somewhere in Washington State.

Have you looked into one of the smaller towns like Port Angeles? It is right next to Olympic National Park, and is right next to the coast line.

Source from Wikipedia

Old 06-26-2014, 11:32 AM

135 posts, read 146,231 times
Warmer weather, mountains, wilderness, beach, cheap land, 7 acre spread?

I'd go with Southern California, circa 1849.

Old 06-26-2014, 01:20 PM

2,436 posts, read 2,122,861 times
Southern California is the epitome of what you're looking for, not including the rent expectations.

Old 06-26-2014, 01:29 PM

5,847 posts, read 11,017,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theraven24 View Post
Southern California is the epitome of what you're looking for, not including the rent expectations.
You may find something that you are looking for in Orange County's Ortega, Brea, Silverado or Trabuco Canyon Areas. Surprisingly rural areas surrounded by everything you you could possibly want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or