Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 05:16 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,782,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
If you can afford it
Exactly! All of these people are talking about DC as if it isn't one of the most expensive areas in the country right now. I don't remember the OP mentioning her budget, but unless she is considerably well off, I can't see DC being the best option for a single mother of TWO children.

Dallas is a much safer choice. Lots of black folks are making that move. You can make public transportation work for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2014, 06:16 PM

93,164 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
Exactly! All of these people are talking about DC as if it isn't one of the most expensive areas in the country right now. I don't remember the OP mentioning her budget, but unless she is considerably well off, I can't see DC being the best option for a single mother of TWO children.

Dallas is a much safer choice. Lots of black folks are making that move. You can make public transportation work for you.
She's in Seattle now, which isn't known for affordability either. There's also the aspect of higher salaries on average too.

I guess you can throw Columbus OH out there too.

Old 07-03-2014, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
She's in Seattle now, which isn't known for affordability either. There's also the aspect of higher salaries on average too.

I guess you can throw Columbus OH out there too.
Yes but there is the money one can hope to make and then there's the money they'd be moving there with. Plus housing costs in DC are far greater than Seattle, without the guaranteed increase in salary to compensate. She would have to make atleast 70% more than what she does now in order to enjoy the same lifestyle.

Old 07-03-2014, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Yes but there is the money one can hope to make and then there's the money they'd be moving there with. Plus housing costs in DC are far greater than Seattle, without the guaranteed increase in salary to compensate. She would have to make atleast 70% more than what she does now in order to enjoy the same lifestyle.
I don't think the difference between Seattle and DC is as great as you make it out to be and that is why it is important to research first before moving. So, the OP has to see what is available in DC.

Also, it isn't like DC was the only area suggested in the thread and it Dallas' public transportation going to be at the standard the OP is looking for?

Old 07-03-2014, 09:02 PM

Quote:
I don't think the difference between Seattle and DC is as great as you make it out to be and that is why it is important to research first before moving. So, the OP has to see what is available in DC.

Also, it isn't like DC was the only area suggested in the thread and it Dallas' public transportation going to be at the standard the OP is looking for?
"Good public trans that isn't extremely limited". That's pretty vague, but as I said before, one can make the public trans work for them. She didn't say she wouldn't have a car so I'm assuming she may.

And DC is definitely much more pricey than Seattle. When it comes to families I tend to think of what's best for the kids. Personally, I wouldn't take my kids to a more expensive city without a heavy cushion to rely on. I'd take them to the cheaper city with a bustling economy. Dallas may not be the more interesting option, but interesting isn't a priority when you have children. Practicality is.

Old 07-03-2014, 09:31 PM

Quote:
"Good public trans that isn't extremely limited". That's pretty vague, but as I said before, one can make the public trans work for them. She didn't say she wouldn't have a car so I'm assuming she may.

And DC is definitely much more pricey than Seattle. When it comes to families I tend to think of what's best for the kids. Personally, I wouldn't take my kids to a more expensive city without a heavy cushion to rely on. I'd take them to the cheaper city with a bustling economy. Dallas may not be the more interesting option, but interesting isn't a priority when you have children. Practicality is.
What about schools though? There's also no denying that public transportation is more extensive in the DC area too.

Also, while it is a pricy area, it is also has higher pay: Here are the highest-paying markets for employees in all jobs - The Business Journals So, you're most likely going to have to adjust based on pay in relation to cost of living.

With all of this said, I'm not pulling for any specific area for the OP, but I'm just stating that there are possibilities there and the criteria would be more complete given what we know.

This may help too: http://online.wsj.com/public/resourc...s/download.pdf
Here are the most and least expensive cities to live in

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 07-03-2014 at 09:43 PM..

Old 07-04-2014, 02:03 AM

35 posts, read 43,108 times
Thanks for all the information and sources. I'm still trying to figure this out. I figure that even if a city is expensive, the pay will be higher, BUT, I have to be able to get the job that pays that decent, and right now I don't have one like that. My job is transferrable after a period of time, but it pays crap.

Old 07-04-2014, 02:05 AM

35 posts, read 43,108 times
Quote:
What about schools though? There's also no denying that public transportation is more extensive in the DC area too.

Also, while it is a pricy area, it is also has higher pay: Here are the highest-paying markets for employees in all jobs - The Business Journals So, you're most likely going to have to adjust based on pay in relation to cost of living.

With all of this said, I'm not pulling for any specific area for the OP, but I'm just stating that there are possibilities there and the criteria would be more complete given what we know.

This may help too: http://online.wsj.com/public/resourc...s/download.pdf
Here are the most and least expensive cities to live in

Thanks! I'm checking those sites out.

Old 07-04-2014, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citylove2014 View Post
Thanks for all the information and sources. I'm still trying to figure this out. I figure that even if a city is expensive, the pay will be higher, BUT, I have to be able to get the job that pays that decent, and right now I don't have one like that. My job is transferrable after a period of time, but it pays crap.
Well that's what I was trying to explain to ckthankgod. There is no guarantee that your pay will compensate the steep rise in the cost of living. It depends largely on your field and the experience you have.

That's why I suggested Dallas, which is booming right now. There's a chance your pay will be less, but your money goes muuuch further in Texas than in Seattle or DC.

Will you have a car or will you be relying solely on public transit?

Old 07-04-2014, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Well that's what I was trying to explain to ckthankgod. There is no guarantee that your pay will compensate the steep rise in the cost of living. It depends largely on your field and the experience you have.

That's why I suggested Dallas, which is booming right now. There's a chance your pay will be less, but your money goes muuuch further in Texas than in Seattle or DC.

Will you have a car or will you be relying solely on public transit?
I knew what you were saying, but there are no guarantees anywhere and is why I said that research on the part of the OP is important. I'm not trying to knock Dallas and the Best Southwest area would probably be a good fit for the OP, if she went there.

As the list I posted about metro cost of living for goods and services shows, there are many metros with relatively low/affordable COL and a solid to good job market. Pay in Dallas will be lower too. Things will ultimately come down to what the OP can do in terms of skills, education and experience.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 07-04-2014 at 07:01 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.