U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 05:38 PM

3,144 posts, read 2,825,168 times

Advertisements

East

Activities and culture. If it isn't in one city, then we have other large cities within a short drive. Each city is different with it's own character. I couldn't imagine living in the West and being stuck in one place all the time or not having a variety unless I decided to take a huge trip.

Ocean. The west coast has waves and that is about it. The Atlantic and Gulf offer much more, the water is warm enough for the chicks to wear bikinis, and it doesn't rain for months. We aren't vampires.

Forests. Real forests. Not spotty little ones with a pine tree here or there. We have water too. Plenty of it. No restrictions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2014, 07:20 PM

9,519 posts, read 13,436,132 times
East. As humid as it is, I love the closeness of everything. NYC is 5 hours from Boston, 3 from AC, 2 from Philly, 5 from Baltimore. You don't have to get on a plane to see a new a place.

Old 07-03-2014, 11:41 PM

2,436 posts, read 2,122,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
East. As humid as it is, I love the closeness of everything. NYC is 5 hours from Boston, 3 from AC, 2 from Philly, 5 from Baltimore. You don't have to get on a plane to see a new a place.
That's possible here out West, too. From SoCal, one can be in Nevada in four hours and Arizona in maybe 6 hours. One can even be in Mexico in less than a day. From NorCal, you can be in Oregon in just a few hours.

Old 07-04-2014, 08:59 AM

1,356 posts, read 1,635,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theraven24 View Post
That's possible here out West, too. From SoCal, one can be in Nevada in four hours and Arizona in maybe 6 hours. One can even be in Mexico in less than a day. From NorCal, you can be in Oregon in just a few hours.
I think he means major cities.

Old 07-04-2014, 09:17 AM

3,740 posts, read 2,558,854 times
The west coast is a nice place to visit; but impractical to live IMO. It was never really meant to be as heavily populated as the east and it probably never will be. Beautiful scenery, eclectic cities/towns/neighborhoods.....but there's something missing. Can't quite figure it out but when visiting San Francisco and Seattle (one of my good friends from high school moved out to Seattle a few years ago after he graduated college) it just seemed to be missing a little of the character and "soul" you find in the east coast, midwest, and south (I use a much broader definition of east; it is more than just the strip of cities from Boston to DC). San Francisco was one of the most aesthetically beautiful areas I've ever seen; but it seemed a little bit like a facade. The people in Seattle were strangely distant and borderline anti-social. I guess introverted would be the word for it. I'm a fairly introverted person myself but when it seems like the majority of people around you are also introverted it gives off a strange vibe to me.

West Coast is "cooler", but the east coast just feels more "real".

Old 07-04-2014, 09:48 AM

9,519 posts, read 13,436,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theraven24 View Post
What would anyone want to see in Oregon?

Old 07-04-2014, 11:00 AM

11,145 posts, read 14,113,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
The west coast is a nice place to visit; but impractical to live IMO. It was never really meant to be as heavily populated as the east and it probably never will be. Beautiful scenery, eclectic cities/towns/neighborhoods.....but there's something missing. Can't quite figure it out but when visiting San Francisco and Seattle (one of my good friends from high school moved out to Seattle a few years ago after he graduated college) it just seemed to be missing a little of the character and "soul" you find in the east coast, midwest, and south (I use a much broader definition of east; it is more than just the strip of cities from Boston to DC). San Francisco was one of the most aesthetically beautiful areas I've ever seen; but it seemed a little bit like a facade. The people in Seattle were strangely distant and borderline anti-social. I guess introverted would be the word for it. I'm a fairly introverted person myself but when it seems like the majority of people around you are also introverted it gives off a strange vibe to me.

West Coast is "cooler", but the east coast just feels more "real".
That's a good way to describe it, actually. I would agree. I think it's the simple fact that, largely, the west coast is still in development. The east coast is very well established and conformist, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. But heck, even many places on the east coast are still in development, such as much of Florida, the Carolinas, Atlanta, the DC area, and even the Boston area is seeing some notable growth now.

Old 07-04-2014, 11:01 AM

11,145 posts, read 14,113,945 times
Quote:
As someone from the east coast, in my opinion, Oregon is the most scenic state in the West. Lots of greenery, an AMAZING coastline, awesome evergreen forests, Crater Lake, and more. IMO it's nicer than Washington.

Old 07-04-2014, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octa View Post
I think he means major cities.
It still holds true.

Old 07-04-2014, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Have you ever been to Oregon? It's one of the most beautiful states in the Union, not to mention its major city of Portland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.