U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2014, 11:33 AM

8,641 posts, read 5,417,744 times

Advertisements

The west coast is beautiful and I was stationed out there in san diego and have been to the other two states as well. However, I prefer the East coast and the 14 states that makes up its shoreline, the greater diversity in my opinion, the history, the compactness of the northeast corridor, and the contrast between northern and southern cities and their lifestyles. Plus all my family and friends are scattered up and down the east coast and a few in the Midwest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2014, 05:33 PM

5,919 posts, read 6,353,728 times
I have lived on both, prefer the east coast but only the north east. Philadelphia OK, Boston better, Downeast Maine perfect.

Old 07-04-2014, 09:54 PM

11,145 posts, read 14,165,077 times
Look, I'm from the east coast and have lived here all my life (northeast). But I don't understand why so many people on this forum are saying that it's better to live in the east coast than the west coast! I was just out there last week and thought it was amazing and beautiful and you can actually drive on highways with speed limits that are 70-80. Lots of beautiful open space and scenery. If I could get a good paying job and live in in Oregon or something, I totally would! You guys are crazy!

Old 07-05-2014, 03:59 AM

1,640 posts, read 2,057,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
East. As humid as it is, I love the closeness of everything. NYC is 5 hours from Boston, 3 from AC, 2 from Philly, 5 from Baltimore. You don't have to get on a plane to see a new a place.
LOL--as if anyone *wants* to go to AC, Philly, or Baltimore--pretty bleak cities, if you ask me.

Nothing like having LA, SD, LV, Sedona/Flagstaff, or even Tucson and ABQ/Santa Fe in reasonable driving distance.

Old 07-05-2014, 07:06 AM

5,286 posts, read 4,178,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
That's a good way to describe it, actually. I would agree. I think it's the simple fact that, largely, the west coast is still in development. The east coast is very well established and conformist, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. But heck, even many places on the east coast are still in development, such as much of Florida, the Carolinas, Atlanta, the DC area, and even the Boston area is seeing some notable growth now.
Atlanta isn't the East Coast anymore than Pittsburgh is.

Old 07-05-2014, 07:09 AM

10,720 posts, read 17,478,787 times
I'm living on the East Coast now and I much prefer the West. I prefer the laid back and more approachable culture in the West. I also miss the punctuality, and organization in the West. I miss the health consciousness of the West. In the West, you can almost always find a vegetarian/vegan option and it's never seen as being weird. People are more sensitive about food allergies. There are multiple gyms and different types of workout gyms all over this area (mixed martial arts, cross fit, spin, yoga, military style prep, orange theory...you name it) In the East, it seems like people love to eat and love their food whereas in the west, it's about being active. In general, the West seems so much more progressive. Buildings are newer. Technology is better and people are used to incorporating technlogy better. Roads are designed better. Drivers are better. The weather is better. In short, I feel like I'm going back a decade when I'm in the East Coast. The only place I like on the East Coast is New York City. Otherwise, I can't fathom why anyone would prefer to live on the East Coast. I'm not surprised why everyone on the East Coast moves here but the converse is not true.

Some of the positives of the East Coast are things I can't stand about it. I hate it's compactness. I miss space. I don't like being crammed. It's so claustrophobic and too dense. You can't breathe. There are long lines for everything. There is never any parking available. Elevators and trains are crowded. Shopping is a nightmare because of the overcrowded element. Airports are overly crowded. It just feels so archaic as if you are living in a prehistoric time.

Lastly, fast pace does not mean punctual or organized. In the west, people are definitely more on time and things run on time. In the East Coast, it is faster and people try to do more in less time but that often leads to disorganization and untimeliness. If a meeting is scheduled at 7:30, it doesn't occur until 8 AM because people are trying to do too many things and run late.

Last edited by azriverfan.; 07-05-2014 at 07:22 AM..

Old 07-05-2014, 08:36 AM

11,145 posts, read 14,165,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I'm living on the East Coast now and I much prefer the West. I prefer the laid back and more approachable culture in the West. I also miss the punctuality, and organization in the West. I miss the health consciousness of the West. In the West, you can almost always find a vegetarian/vegan option and it's never seen as being weird. People are more sensitive about food allergies. There are multiple gyms and different types of workout gyms all over this area (mixed martial arts, cross fit, spin, yoga, military style prep, orange theory...you name it) In the East, it seems like people love to eat and love their food whereas in the west, it's about being active. In general, the West seems so much more progressive. Buildings are newer. Technology is better and people are used to incorporating technlogy better. Roads are designed better. Drivers are better. The weather is better. In short, I feel like I'm going back a decade when I'm in the East Coast. The only place I like on the East Coast is New York City. Otherwise, I can't fathom why anyone would prefer to live on the East Coast. I'm not surprised why everyone on the East Coast moves here but the converse is not true.

Some of the positives of the East Coast are things I can't stand about it. I hate it's compactness. I miss space. I don't like being crammed. It's so claustrophobic and too dense. You can't breathe. There are long lines for everything. There is never any parking available. Elevators and trains are crowded. Shopping is a nightmare because of the overcrowded element. Airports are overly crowded. It just feels so archaic as if you are living in a prehistoric time.

Lastly, fast pace does not mean punctual or organized. In the west, people are definitely more on time and things run on time. In the East Coast, it is faster and people try to do more in less time but that often leads to disorganization and untimeliness. If a meeting is scheduled at 7:30, it doesn't occur until 8 AM because people are trying to do too many things and run late.
All those things you said about the east only apply to the coastal northeast, really. Last time I checked, Seattle, San Francisco and LA get just as hectic. I could never find easy parking in any of those cities. Not even in San Diego. I always thought it was ludacrous when people claim San Diego to be slow paced.

Old 07-05-2014, 10:12 AM

448 posts, read 423,269 times
These are apples and oranges comparing the two sides just because they are coastal.*

I prefer the west coast. We have the perfect blend compared to that concrete jungle out in the east coast. We have great outdoors areas (even socal to a lesser extent) and we have the vibrancy. Our cities can compare to what the east has in that regard (LA, SF, SEA, SD). Better, comfortable weather year round just about. Great food. A mix of good vibrations. Innovation in tomorrow's technology begins here. It's really a no wonder our cities are a lot more pot friendly and this is going to be the area responsible for the ultimate legalization (your welcome ).

The east, to me, though is higher paced. More tension from what I've experienced living and working there for a brief period. All of this is mostly due to the cramped lifestyle of having soo many people in such little space. You can have that. The east is also more politics driven. The east has more relevance globally.

You guys out east can have it. I would NEVER trade living in the westcoast.

Old 07-05-2014, 08:21 PM

9,549 posts, read 13,494,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
Atlanta isn't the East Coast anymore than Pittsburgh is.
PA is not a coastal state - it doesn't border the atlantic, GA does.

Old 07-05-2014, 08:22 PM

9,549 posts, read 13,494,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
LOL--as if anyone *wants* to go to AC, Philly, or Baltimore--pretty bleak cities, if you ask me.

Nothing like having LA, SD, LV, Sedona/Flagstaff, or even Tucson and ABQ/Santa Fe in reasonable driving distance.
Are you kidding? LA sucks.

Will give you that Sedona & San Diego are cool.

The rest can float away and take LA with it as far as I'm concerned.

ABQ is not reasonable driving distance from the COAST.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.