Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 12:53 PM

9,154 posts, read 13,184,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by westernwilly View Post
Neither. I take the North Coast.
Great beaches and dunes, more light houses, fresh water over salt - no hurricanes, sharks or jellies!
People are nicer.
Just one minute.

The Great Lakes are loaded with lighthouses. But so are other places like the coast of California, Maine, Rhode Island & Connecticut AND Long Island....

Research shows that Suffolk County has more lighthouses than any other county in the United States of America. Additionally, Southold township (of Suffolk County) has more lighthouses than any other town in the country.

Lighthouses of Long Island, New York (Long Island Lighthouses)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2014, 03:15 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,611,972 times
West and East too broad terms. The Northwest isn't like California. The Southwest isn't like the Northwest. The Northeast is surely not the same as the Southeast.

Old 07-01-2014, 03:31 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,572,655 times
I love the East Coast much much more. I just came back from the West just a few months ago, and outside of a vacation, I don't see myself ever going back. I think the main issue I had with the West Coast was the culture there. The people there are just beyond arrogant. And the ghetto people are REALLY freakin ghetto. No in between. And everyone kind of accepts where they are in life. If you're ghetto, you kind of just accept living in the ghetto. The mentality out East is just so much better. Everyone wants to work, and everyone wants to grind. The people are much more down to earth as well. That's the most refreshing thing about being on the East Coast, people aren't on their moral high horse. I know I was in Time Square this weekend, and one guy was passing out flyers to a comedy show. He then asked "Does anyone speak english". One lady yelled at him playfully, "That's offensive".

Now out West that whole thing would have played out much much differently. Some random high minded liberal would have walked by him, heard that, got into a debate, then got on the phone Monday morning to try to get his job taken from him. It seems like people out East are just themselves. People out West are all about trying to look and be a certain way for people.

Also the West Coast is just BORING. You like the city? Love to walk a city street? Love to see great architure? Want a good view from a sky scrapper? Well you're out of luck. Because if you like city life, then you clearly don't need to be out West. Get in your car, and overpay for your nearest suburb with $1 million houses. Public transit out West is atrocious, and people out West like it that way. So you have high gas prices, high taxes, high everything, plus you have to drive your car everywhere, and nothing is less than 45 minutes away.

West Coast is great if you have a few kids running around and a spouse. But if you're single, it sucks. In case you're wondering what my answer is, I like the East Coast.

Old 07-01-2014, 04:58 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,894,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
I love the East Coast much much more. I just came back from the West just a few months ago, and outside of a vacation, I don't see myself ever going back. I think the main issue I had with the West Coast was the culture there. The people there are just beyond arrogant. And the ghetto people are REALLY freakin ghetto. No in between. And everyone kind of accepts where they are in life. If you're ghetto, you kind of just accept living in the ghetto. The mentality out East is just so much better. Everyone wants to work, and everyone wants to grind. The people are much more down to earth as well. That's the most refreshing thing about being on the East Coast, people aren't on their moral high horse. I know I was in Time Square this weekend, and one guy was passing out flyers to a comedy show. He then asked "Does anyone speak english". One lady yelled at him playfully, "That's offensive".

Now out West that whole thing would have played out much much differently. Some random high minded liberal would have walked by him, heard that, got into a debate, then got on the phone Monday morning to try to get his job taken from him. It seems like people out East are just themselves. People out West are all about trying to look and be a certain way for people.

Also the West Coast is just BORING. You like the city? Love to walk a city street? Love to see great architure? Want a good view from a sky scrapper? Well you're out of luck. Because if you like city life, then you clearly don't need to be out West. Get in your car, and overpay for your nearest suburb with $1 million houses. Public transit out West is atrocious, and people out West like it that way. So you have high gas prices, high taxes, high everything, plus you have to drive your car everywhere, and nothing is less than 45 minutes away.

West Coast is great if you have a few kids running around and a spouse. But if you're single, it sucks. In case you're wondering what my answer is, I like the East Coast.
Sounds like you're specifically talking about the California coast only.

Old 07-01-2014, 06:45 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,544,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
And out of the wrong orifice.

Old 07-01-2014, 06:54 PM

2,436 posts, read 2,786,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Yep.

Old 07-01-2014, 07:07 PM

Quote:
I think the main issue I had with the West Coast was the culture there. The people there are just beyond arrogant. And the ghetto people are REALLY freakin ghetto. No in between. And everyone kind of accepts where they are in life. If you're ghetto, you kind of just accept living in the ghetto. The mentality out East is just so much better. Everyone wants to work, and everyone wants to grind. The people are much more down to earth as well. That's the most refreshing thing about being on the East Coast, people aren't on their moral high horse. I know I was in Time Square this weekend, and one guy was passing out flyers to a comedy show. He then asked "Does anyone speak english". One lady yelled at him playfully, "That's offensive".

There are plenty of folks on these boards who have relocated from east to west and who have contributed insightful and balanced analyses of their respective experiences.

Then there’s this.

Old 07-01-2014, 07:08 PM

596 posts, read 818,045 times
Quote:

You gotta be kidding me. You're from Philadelphia and you say that the West Coast is really ghetto?

Old 07-01-2014, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by probablyimnotsure View Post
You gotta be kidding me. You're from Philadelphia and you say that the West Coast is really ghetto?
You some kinda random high-mined liberal or sumpin?

Old 07-01-2014, 08:13 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,180,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
West and East too broad terms. The Northwest isn't like California. The Southwest isn't like the Northwest. The Northeast is surely not the same as the Southeast.
We're talking about the coastal regions. For the West Coast, it's Washington to California..The East Coast is Maine to Virginia (or Florida depending on one's cultural criteria for the East Coast).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.