U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2014, 07:38 PM

3,399 posts, read 4,799,834 times

Advertisements

I am curious, which coast would/do you prefer to live on? I have had the privilege of living on both sides and love the low humidity and weather of the West, but like the culture in the East. I am still trying to decide. What's your choice and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2014, 08:57 PM

708 posts, read 2,410,020 times
West
Nicer geography
Nicer weather
More laid back
Hippies

Old 06-29-2014, 12:58 AM

2,436 posts, read 2,122,861 times
I definitely prefer the West. The East is cool, and I love the history behind it (as well as the West's history), but I prefer the culture, weather and natural scenery of the West. Valleys, deserts, beautiful and amazing-looking mountains, oceans... Love it. I'll never get enough of those Redwoods.

When I was out East, I felt a little out of place. A couple of things I missed badly were the homes and the sun. I will continue to visit the East for the rest of my life if I can, but home will always be West.

Old 06-29-2014, 02:41 AM

3,530 posts, read 4,263,451 times
I'd take either over the middle.

About four years ago, after a ton of deliberation, I picked the West Coast over the East Coast to move. It has worked out amazingly well.

Old 06-29-2014, 03:22 AM

2,268 posts, read 1,804,801 times
There was a time when I would have said west. Also a time when I would have said the east.

Now that I live in Alaska I'm pretty sure the North coast is the beat! Heheh

Less people, more outdoors, more wildlife, no traffic, no smog.

Old 06-29-2014, 05:57 AM

21,187 posts, read 30,351,954 times
I prefer the East Coast culture with it's relative close proximity in terms of travel between areas, the history, the faster pace, the pronounced change of seasons, it's largely more progressive population, and the diversity (not so much racially but sociological).

Old 06-29-2014, 09:10 AM

596 posts, read 675,928 times
I prefer the west. I like the huge variety of landscapes and climates within short distances, the low dew points that make spending time outside so enjoyable, the lack of regional accents, the way outdoor recreation is so thoroughly integrated in urban areas, fewer racial problems, and the more relaxed lifestyle.

Old 06-29-2014, 10:03 AM

596 posts, read 650,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lndigo View Post
West
Nicer geography
Nicer weather
More laid back
Hippies
I would say this is one of the reasons why people don't like the West. You enjoy being around unemployed mentally ill people?

Old 06-29-2014, 10:43 AM

3,530 posts, read 4,263,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by probablyimnotsure View Post
I would say this is one of the reasons why people don't like the West. You enjoy being around unemployed mentally ill people?
That's the homeless. Some hippies are homeless, but not all homeless are hippies.

Old 06-29-2014, 12:19 PM

15,504 posts, read 17,724,856 times
I like older architecture, eastern deciduous forests, quaint hobbit-like farmlands separated by deep, dark, mysterious forests, and rivers that actually have water in them. So, East coast.

I would probably be pretty happy in the PNW and parts of inland northern California, though.

But I can live without much of the West's excessive heat, deserts, forests that look great from a distance but are crackly tinder piles when you get in them, and the 'super-chill, laid back' people that actually have huge, but super-fragile egos. Not that there aren't some serious personality defects on the east coast, too. Fair is fair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.