U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-29-2014, 03:55 PM
 
5,722 posts, read 8,785,833 times
Reputation: 4937

Advertisements

There are great neighborhoods in Pittsburgh and the whole city is very scenic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-30-2014, 02:22 PM
 
Location: Miami-Jax
6,324 posts, read 6,994,449 times
Reputation: 3504
Sounds like you have a lot of options. If you can find a job in particular neighborhoods then you can avoid driving in most of the large metros. Among second-tier transit cities, Atlanta and Dallas should be options to go along with the aforementioned Cleveland, Pittsburgh, St Louis, etc. Even a city like Chicago should offer nice condos under 300k and that would be the closest you come to NYC-style living for an affordable price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2014, 09:45 AM
 
Location: Brooklyn, NY
122 posts, read 202,035 times
Reputation: 46
Thanks a lot everyone!! I'm visiting Pittsburgh in August and plan on visiting other cities soon as well
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2014, 09:50 AM
 
9,539 posts, read 13,484,117 times
Reputation: 5733
Quote:
Originally Posted by loss4words View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm looking to relocate in the new future from NYC and would really appreciate any advice on places to consider I have read some comments on the forums and a lot of people seem to like Austin, Portland, Seattle, Minneapolis and Denver but I'm not sure if any of these would apply to what I'm looking for. Here are some things that would be important to me when considering a new place:

Public transportation - I would really like to avoid driving if possible and use public transportation for commuting, however, if I have no other options I will drive.
A nice downtown with restaurants, movies, museums. Just so that I don't die of boredom
Affordability - Up to 300K for a condo or a single family house.
Outdoor Activities - hiking, biking, going on long walks. I like nature and nice scenery and would like to live in a place which will allow me to live a healthy lifestyle.
Friendly people and a sense of community I could part of. I'm not religious and as long as people don't force their religion on me I'll be happy.
I work in IT so hopefully a place that's not too hard to find a job in my field.

I guess I don't want to be in a big city (I'm starting to hate the rush of NYC) but I also don't want to be alienated from people and community, while also enjoying nature and outdoor activities.

Am I dreaming? I would love to hear any suggestions if you guys have any!
Hope you are prepared for a large pay cut.

IT is big in Irvine, CA. I've never been but supposedly large IT spot for companies.

I personally think you are silly for leaving NYC. The $ is good and it has everything and it's so easy to get around via public transit.

Maybe you would also like Boston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2014, 11:29 AM
 
Location: East Mt Airy, Philadelphia
1,025 posts, read 1,042,758 times
Reputation: 1807
Default Burlington VT

Quote:
Originally Posted by loss4words View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm looking to relocate in the new future from NYC and would really appreciate any advice on places to consider I have read some comments on the forums and a lot of people seem to like Austin, Portland, Seattle, Minneapolis and Denver but I'm not sure if any of these would apply to what I'm looking for. Here are some things that would be important to me when considering a new place:

Public transportation - I would really like to avoid driving if possible and use public transportation for commuting, however, if I have no other options I will drive.
A nice downtown with restaurants, movies, museums. Just so that I don't die of boredom
Affordability - Up to 300K for a condo or a single family house.
Outdoor Activities - hiking, biking, going on long walks. I like nature and nice scenery and would like to live in a place which will allow me to live a healthy lifestyle.
Friendly people and a sense of community I could part of. I'm not religious and as long as people don't force their religion on me I'll be happy.
I work in IT so hopefully a place that's not too hard to find a job in my field.

I guess I don't want to be in a big city (I'm starting to hate the rush of NYC) but I also don't want to be alienated from people and community, while also enjoying nature and outdoor activities.

Am I dreaming? I would love to hear any suggestions if you guys have any!
Maybe Burlington, VT? Nice downtown, close to water & East Coast-sized mountains. I don't have first-hand knowledge of transit system or housing prices, but a quick look at Burlington Real Estate - Burlington, VT Homes for Sale - realtor.com® shows single family homes in your price range.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2014, 11:34 AM
 
56,807 posts, read 81,149,048 times
Reputation: 12565
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankInPhilly View Post
Maybe Burlington, VT? Nice downtown, close to water & East Coast-sized mountains. I don't have first-hand knowledge of transit system or housing prices, but a quick look at Burlington Real Estate - Burlington, VT Homes for Sale - realtor.com® shows single family homes in your price range.
Isn't IBM downsizing its workforce there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2014, 12:23 PM
 
Location: New Orleans, LA
1,586 posts, read 1,921,511 times
Reputation: 1147
Austin isn't going to have the level of public transpiration you're looking for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2014, 11:17 PM
 
Location: Miami-Jax
6,324 posts, read 6,994,449 times
Reputation: 3504
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
IT is big in Irvine, CA. I've never been but supposedly large IT spot for companies.
Irvine is definitely a driving town. It's pristine suburbia with very very nice roads, and nary a bus or train in sight. (I'm exaggerating, they probably have some type of bus service, but it's all suburban)

Quote:
Originally Posted by things and stuff View Post
Austin isn't going to have the level of public transpiration you're looking for.
And it doesn't have good public transportation either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top