U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2014, 10:36 PM

122 posts, read 201,878 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to relocate in the new future from NYC and would really appreciate any advice on places to consider I have read some comments on the forums and a lot of people seem to like Austin, Portland, Seattle, Minneapolis and Denver but I'm not sure if any of these would apply to what I'm looking for. Here are some things that would be important to me when considering a new place:

Public transportation - I would really like to avoid driving if possible and use public transportation for commuting, however, if I have no other options I will drive.
A nice downtown with restaurants, movies, museums. Just so that I don't die of boredom
Affordability - Up to 300K for a condo or a single family house.
Outdoor Activities - hiking, biking, going on long walks. I like nature and nice scenery and would like to live in a place which will allow me to live a healthy lifestyle.
Friendly people and a sense of community I could part of. I'm not religious and as long as people don't force their religion on me I'll be happy.
I work in IT so hopefully a place that's not too hard to find a job in my field.

I guess I don't want to be in a big city (I'm starting to hate the rush of NYC) but I also don't want to be alienated from people and community, while also enjoying nature and outdoor activities.

Am I dreaming? I would love to hear any suggestions if you guys have any!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2014, 10:50 PM

588 posts, read 1,092,077 times
Portland sounds like your place but not so sure about the budget. Good public transport however the traffic is horrible considering it's size. It's outdoorsy, museums, hiking, beautiful, good for outdoors stuff if it's not raining, nice bustling downtown, a good place to lead a healthy lifestyle, good food, and a nice step away from the big city. The cons is that it rains a lot but keeps things nice and green and the summers are unbeatable.

Old 06-28-2014, 11:23 PM

5 posts, read 3,846 times
Richmond Virginia is your best bet. Public transportation in the city is bar none, people rarely ever drive here. Richmond has the most IT jobs in the country outside of Silicon Valley and the COL is a lot more fair.

Old 06-29-2014, 12:03 AM

6,490 posts, read 16,171,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichmondVirginia View Post
Richmond Virginia is your best bet. Public transportation in the city is bar none, people rarely ever drive here. Richmond has the most IT jobs in the country outside of Silicon Valley and the COL is a lot more fair.
Stop.

83% of Richmond city residents drive to work. Richmond is not among the top areas for IT employment. Please don't spout nonsense if you haven't done the research.

http://www.richmondgov.com/EconomicC...eofCommute.pdf
Databases, Tables & Calculators by Subject

Old 06-29-2014, 05:13 AM

21,207 posts, read 30,420,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loss4words View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm looking to relocate in the new future from NYC and would really appreciate any advice on places to consider I have read some comments on the forums and a lot of people seem to like Austin, Portland, Seattle, Minneapolis and Denver but I'm not sure if any of these would apply to what I'm looking for. Here are some things that would be important to me when considering a new place:

Public transportation - I would really like to avoid driving if possible and use public transportation for commuting, however, if I have no other options I will drive.
A nice downtown with restaurants, movies, museums. Just so that I don't die of boredom
Affordability - Up to 300K for a condo or a single family house.
Outdoor Activities - hiking, biking, going on long walks. I like nature and nice scenery and would like to live in a place which will allow me to live a healthy lifestyle.
Friendly people and a sense of community I could part of. I'm not religious and as long as people don't force their religion on me I'll be happy.
I work in IT so hopefully a place that's not too hard to find a job in my field.

I guess I don't want to be in a big city (I'm starting to hate the rush of NYC) but I also don't want to be alienated from people and community, while also enjoying nature and outdoor activities.

Am I dreaming? I would love to hear any suggestions if you guys have any!
You might also add Boulder, Colorado to your list. It fulfills your wish for outdoor activities quite well, your budget, has friendly people and that sense of community, and while not on the list of top transit cities has sufficient service for it's size.

Boulder Is for Tech
https://bouldercolorado.gov/maps/map...rtation-system

Old 06-29-2014, 07:16 AM

56,736 posts, read 81,038,544 times
If you don't mind staying in state, the Albany area may be worth a look. Information Technology jobs in Albany NY - Indeed Mobile

http://www.techvalley.org

Out of state, perhaps Pittsburgh could be an option. Information Technology jobs in Pittsburgh pa - Indeed Mobile

Pittsburgh Technology Council (PTC), PGH Career Connector|Find Your Career Here
Pittsburgh Technology Council

Old 06-29-2014, 10:27 AM

1,709 posts, read 1,677,390 times
Someone mentioned Pittsburgh, that would be a good place for you. I Sony know about outdoor activities or the friendliness of the people there, but I do know their IT sector is pretty good (they have a strong economy on the whole) and it is a decent size city with quite a bit to do, so it should fit your criteria well. They do also have a light rail line to serve your public transit needs.

Another great fit for you would be none other than St. Louis! StL definitely has its fair share of things to do, including plenty of museums, theatres, parks, and other things to do. Food is good too; the StL area has many culinary centers including Clayton, Downtown, the Central West End, and the Hill. The Metrolink (our light rail system) should cover your transit needs-it runs through the center of the city, close to the densest areas and the major attractions. If Forest Park, one of the nation's largest urban parks, doesn't cover your outdoor needs, there are a plethora of parks, trails, and nature reserves in the city and the metro that should keep you occupied. The area definitely is friendly-there are lots of great people in this area! The StL area has a great community feel, and though it is heavily Catholic, it isn't intolerant, so you will certainly be welcomed here like anyone else. And as for the IT sector:

Old 06-29-2014, 11:20 AM

5,707 posts, read 8,773,655 times
I think you'd be happy in Knoxville IF you can find the right job. Great urban trail system. Can you use your IT skills to support a generic business or do you need a IT focused business. That's pretty important to know.

Like most US cities including Richmond most people drive. But that doesn' mean you can't find neighborhoods to live car-free quite happily. Biggest concern would be the location of the Job.

Old 06-29-2014, 12:03 PM

3,179 posts, read 3,854,417 times
Cleveland would be a good fit. I know several people who've moved here from NYC and absolutely love it. It has everything you're looking for and more, plus very friendly, welcoming people.

Old 06-29-2014, 12:44 PM

122 posts, read 201,878 times
Thank you so much everyone for suggestions!! You are all awesome I want to travel around and visit all the cities you mentioned and get a feel for them!

Pittsburgh does sound very interesting for several reasons. It is not that far from NY where my family will be and I would like to visit them every year. All my life I've worked in the High Ed and it seems like Pittsburgh have a lot of great educational institutions I could apply to as far as looking for a job. I had this misconception that all of Pittsburgh is just a big downtown with tall buildings, so hopefully I'm up for a nice surprise when I visit Real estate also seems to be 3 times cheaper than NY. Is there a catch to this? I can only guess the average salary is also much less?

I have read some really great things about Portland on the forums. I wouldn't mind the rain and it sounds almost perfect, however affordability will be a major factor for me. At the very least I know I want to come and visit.

St. Louis and Cleveland does sound very nice!! And affordable too based on a quick search on Zillow I will definitely read up more about them!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or