U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2014, 02:30 PM

53 posts, read 52,612 times

Advertisements

I think you will like Eugene, Oregon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2014, 04:22 PM

2,438 posts, read 4,223,064 times
While looking at Eugene, go an hour north and look at Corvallis also.

Old 06-30-2014, 05:20 PM

133 posts, read 228,017 times
I keep hearing Corvallis!

Old 07-01-2014, 08:58 AM

267 posts, read 238,910 times
Check out Murray Kentucky, home of Murray State University. The town ranked #4 among best small towns in America last year.

Murray ranked among best

Old 07-01-2014, 09:16 AM

273 posts, read 348,781 times
Ann Arbor, MI
Athens, OH

Old 07-01-2014, 09:40 AM

11,873 posts, read 32,899,856 times
50 Great Affordable College Towns in the U.S.

Many of these easily fit the OP's criteria.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession

Old 07-01-2014, 10:22 AM

56,518 posts, read 80,824,285 times
While it isn't necessarily crunchy, it is walkable, has a Wegmans, has a SUNY campus and is within a metro of 1 million: Village of Brockport NY - Home Page

The College at Brockport: State University of New York

Brockport NY - the Greater Brockport Chamber of Commerce

Locator Detail | Wegmans - Wegmans Brockport

Here are some more places that could fit: Yellow Springs, Ohio | Everyone's Favorite Place

Brattleboro, VT *

The Community of New Paltz, NY

City of Oberlin

Welcome to the lively and historic city of Oneonta, New York

Village of Hamilton - Welcome to Hamilton New York

Corporation of Shepherdstown | Historic Shepherdstown, the oldest town in the state of West Virginia.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 07-01-2014 at 10:38 AM..

Old 07-01-2014, 03:10 PM

4,668 posts, read 6,110,144 times
Iowa City has the right amount of crunch.

One of the best things about it is that it's not exactly in the middle on nowhere. A lot of other entertainment/sports options if you feel taking a day trip.

Old 07-01-2014, 04:41 PM

1,017 posts, read 1,036,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
Nuclear power plant's proximity to Chapel Hill? The closest nuclear power plant to CH is Sharon Harris down in Fuquay-Varina. Not that close at all.

Chapel Hill/Carrboro is literally exactly what you are looking for in a community. I don't want to insult you or belittle your concerns; but the exponentially tiny possibility of a major accident at Sharon Harris is a ridiculous reason to cross Chapel Hill off of your list. Plus; in all reality; if the extremely unlikely event that Sharon Harris "blew"...you'd pretty much be down and out throughout the whole southeast.
I agree that ruling out Chapel Hill because of its proximity to Shearon (note correct spelling) Harris is ... overly cautious, to put it mildly. OP might want to see Nuclear Fallout - Map of U.S. Nuclear Power Plants | NRDC for an idea of what other areas are no-go.

I live in Philly, used to live in Chapel Hill. The "Back in the Day" version of Chapel Hill would fit the OP's needs perfectly (smaller, and nuke-less). Even the current, built-up and continuing-to-build version of the city has a lot to recommend. So, yes, I second/third/... Chapel Hill and Carrboro as a place to consider. And let's rule out Berkeley due to the possibility of earthquakes.

Old 07-01-2014, 07:19 PM

133 posts, read 228,017 times
Eh, I know, I know. I can roll with the jokes too. And I've spent some time studying the nuke maps, not to worry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or