U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2014, 07:05 AM

133 posts, read 228,693 times

Advertisements

I have been searching for the right town. I've gone the route of searching collage towns. To me, they offer the best if both worlds...culture, and activities, always something going on, but in a smaller town.

I've scoped out "best college towns" lists over and over! Athens, GA would be perfect, but unfortunately had to be ruled out. I looked into Oxford, MS, great size, low crime, bike trails, family friendly, but too conservative and not enough access to natural/organic foods. We like Berea, KY a lot, but ran into similar issues as Oxford. Thought very seriously about Chapel Hill, and again is pretty perfect, but the nuclear power plant so close completely freaks me out. (I know, there's something everywhere.)

I hope that gives an idea. What small towns (college there isn't a make or break, just a good starting point) are out there?

-Again, access to year round organic foods are important to us. We don't have to have a Whole Foods, but at least a decent health food store would be ideal.

-Low crime.

-A "crunchy" scene of people would be nice.

I know there are great towns out there! We would prefer the southeast, or near it, but it isn't a deal breaker.

Many thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2014, 08:02 AM

4,278 posts, read 6,368,944 times
The usual suspects for smaller college towns: Asheville NC, Ann Arbor MI, Ithaca NY, Berkeley CA. All have serious foodie culture, especially at UNC Asheville, which is in the southeast.

Old 06-29-2014, 08:26 AM

3,790 posts, read 2,593,841 times
Nuclear power plant's proximity to Chapel Hill? The closest nuclear power plant to CH is Sharon Harris down in Fuquay-Varina. Not that close at all.

Chapel Hill/Carrboro is literally exactly what you are looking for in a community. I don't want to insult you or belittle your concerns; but the exponentially tiny possibility of a major accident at Sharon Harris is a ridiculous reason to cross Chapel Hill off of your list. Plus; in all reality; if the extremely unlikely event that Sharon Harris "blew"...you'd pretty much be down and out throughout the whole southeast.

Old 06-29-2014, 08:43 AM

133 posts, read 228,693 times
Chapel Hill is well within 50 miles of Sharon Harris. SH has had some safety concerns, and a couple of shut downs too. I know the odds are small, but I would rather not live so close to a plant. I believe it's more like 20-30 miles away.

Old 06-29-2014, 09:01 AM

21,234 posts, read 30,478,027 times
Charlottesville isn't actually that "crunchy", though by Virginia standards/comparisons perhaps. At the risk of over-hyping since I've suggested on two other threads, you might look at Bloomington, Indiana. It's the home of Indiana University and surprisingly liberal in a state not known so much for it. It has quite a bit of options in terms of organic food and farmers markets, low crime, a low cost of living and plenty to do.

Old 06-29-2014, 09:41 AM

891 posts, read 909,372 times
Austin tx...but its far from a small college town (10th largest city and growing quite fast and has been for forever).

Old 06-29-2014, 09:48 AM

21,234 posts, read 30,478,027 times
Despite some of the mind-numbing responses I also just thought of Boone, NC which is the home of Appalachian State University and is equally as liberal as Asheville or Chapel Hill, with a great food scene, visibly "crunchy" population and low crime.

Old 06-29-2014, 09:49 AM

23,127 posts, read 35,134,347 times
Check out DeLand, FL. Its a beautiful historic college town (Stetson University). The town offers a surprisingly rich cultural life thanks to the Athens Theater and the University's (well-reputed) music school.

The Official Site of City of DeLand, FL

Stetson University

Athens Theatre - DeLand, Florida

Old 06-29-2014, 11:46 AM

56,874 posts, read 81,192,796 times
Burlington VT is another, but I second Ithaca NY.

Old 06-29-2014, 12:17 PM

268 posts, read 346,393 times
Flagstaff, AZ could work. It's high in the mountains and is surrounded by pine trees. Housing is a little pricey, but it's a neat town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or