Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 10:41 AM

61 posts, read 112,153 times

Advertisements

Hi I'm compiling a list of ideal cities to relocate to and settle down with my family.

1, A good combination of beautiful nature and city life, career opportunities. Preferably a coastal city--east coast, CA, FL. We love sailing and hope to continue to do that. Careerwise, my husband is a chemist, and my field is higher education.
2, Closer to a major city. ( within a couple hours drive)
3, Affordable cost of living. Our combined income would be around 110k, but if we could live off one income, it would be a plus. (Am I daydreaming again? ;-) House price preferablly 160k, maximum 200k. My husband would prefer a yard.
4, Great place to raise family, good education. We have two young totts.
5, The life pace is mid to slower, more casual, down-to-earth atmosphere. People are nice. My husband spent most of his life in mid-west, and really don't like snobbish people who like to push other people off to get ahead.
6, Good food scene. Especially Chinese food, and Chinese grocery store. (you see, I'm Chinese)
7, Has two or more colleges.
8, Sunny, less cloudy or rainy days. I think I have Seasonal Affective Disorder.

Well, are there places meeting most of the criteria?
So far I only have one city on my list--San Diego, and would like to expand the list. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2012, 01:06 PM

92,035 posts, read 122,173,887 times
Perhaps the Tidewater/Hampton Roads area of Virginia or Mount Pleasant just outside of Charleston SC. Houston may be an option too.

Old 02-22-2012, 04:10 PM

37,795 posts, read 41,491,884 times
Tampa perhaps?

Old 02-22-2012, 08:54 PM

26,826 posts, read 43,300,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsailor View Post
Hi I'm compiling a list of ideal cities to relocate to and settle down with my family.

1, A good combination of beautiful nature and city life, career opportunities. Preferably a coastal city--east coast, CA, FL. We love sailing and hope to continue to do that. Careerwise, my husband is a chemist, and my field is higher education.
2, Closer to a major city. ( within a couple hours drive)
3, Affordable cost of living. Our combined income would be around 110k, but if we could live off one income, it would be a plus. (Am I daydreaming again? ;-) House price preferablly 160k, maximum 200k. My husband would prefer a yard.
4, Great place to raise family, good education. We have two young totts.
5, The life pace is mid to slower, more casual, down-to-earth atmosphere. People are nice. My husband spent most of his life in mid-west, and really don't like snobbish people who like to push other people off to get ahead.
6, Good food scene. Especially Chinese food, and Chinese grocery store. (you see, I'm Chinese)
7, Has two or more colleges.
8, Sunny, less cloudy or rainy days. I think I have Seasonal Affective Disorder.

Well, are there places meeting most of the criteria?
So far I only have one city on my list--San Diego, and would like to expand the list. Thank you!

Savannah, Georgia would be a great option for you. It's four hours from Atlanta and two hours from Jacksonville. The cost of living is quite affordable (probably enough so for one decent income) and has some good public schools. The city is home to three colleges...Armstrong Atlantic University, Savannah State University (HBCU) and the famous Savannah College of Art And Design (SCAD). Georgia Southern University in Statesboro would be a feasible commute from the northwest/west side of the city (Pooler area). Savannah definitely has the slower, laidback lifestyle you're after in a beautiful coastal environment. It also has a pretty good food scene due in part to it's destination status for vacationers. Lastly, the weather is definitely on the sunny side with plenty of clear, warm days.

Old 02-22-2012, 10:05 PM

16,401 posts, read 30,811,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Tampa perhaps?
Nowhere in Florida has a good economy.

Old 02-22-2012, 10:07 PM

16,401 posts, read 30,811,602 times
Although I am not entirely sure on this one, how about Charleston,South Carolina?

Old 02-23-2012, 09:47 AM

61 posts, read 112,153 times
My husband mentioned before how unpleasant and how much heat south carolina has once they drove into north carolina, it immediately nicer. So this inspires me to think about north carolina. Thanks.

Old 02-23-2012, 11:15 AM

13,942 posts, read 14,823,775 times
Wilmington NC, or Jacksonville NC, Nice southern Cheap(er) cities Both have Barrier Island Beaches (topsail & Writesville Beach)

Old 02-23-2012, 01:13 PM

5,508 posts, read 8,692,342 times
I second taking a closer look at Wilmington. On the ocean, with a big state university there (UNC Wilmington) and a few smaller schools, a lower cost of living, friendly people, not fast-paced. School system is decent. Seafood is good. (Don't know about the Chinese food there.) Weather is great, aside from the occasional hurricane. (But then again San Diego has the occasional quake, so I guess it evens out). Strong, diversified economy. I believe Corning is a big employer and there other smaller tech and science offshoots connected to the Research Triangle, maybe 2 hrs away. The city even has a pretty solid film/TV industry thanks to a big studio there. Lovely historic district. City has about 100,000 people and a thriving touirist industry so its not like you're stuck looking at Aunt Bee and Opie all the time. Drawback may be the drive to a bigger city. I'd guess maybe 3 hours to Charlotte, 6 to Atlanta.

Old 02-23-2012, 01:14 PM

1,145 posts, read 2,445,712 times
Even though this isn't the coast, you could sail on the Great Lakes. Chicago would be a great place to look, tons of Universities, Abbot Labs, etc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.