Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2019, 02:14 PM

20 posts, read 28,295 times

Advertisements

I am biracial and from NYC born and raised. In my experience interracial relationships and marriages between white women and black men are nonexistent. Like no where to be found. My father is white and my mother is black. I graduated form Harvard University and NYU Business School.

I was working at New York Life in Rego Park Queens and I honestly had no chance of finding love in NYC. I felt like I was wasting my time to even try to find love. After my late mother had passed away from cancer I had it. I waled in to my office at New York Life and explained I had to leave NYC. Every other agent at New York Life had a picture of their wife and kids but my desk was void of any wife or kids. In NYC every beautiful White woman I saw was a woman I couldn't have.

Leaving NYC was one of the best decisions I ever made. I have lived in Atlanta, Lansing-Michigan, Los Angeles-California, North Carolina, Houston, went to college in Boston. Every place and I mean every place I have lived has had a much a much higher of interracial marriage between White women and black men.

In my experience interracial marriage between black men and white women do not happen or so rare it is not worth talking about. I am not trying to be rough but that is my truthful experience.

In NYC white women are not interested in any black man at all. I am seeking to be truthful in sharing my experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2019, 04:37 PM

1,712 posts, read 2,908,099 times
Wow, I'm surprised you had that experience.

I've seen a good amount of black men with white woman in NYC. However, the most common IR combo that I see involving black men is them with Latinas.

The three most common IR combos that I've noticed in NYC are:
- White man/Asian woman
- Black man/Latin woman
- White man/Black man (same sex)

When I lived out on Long Island (Suffolk), I saw a lot of black men with white women. This is perhaps b/c most blacks are Americanized and middle class out there thus more economically compatible with most whites. In NYC proper, most whites skew upper middle class while most blacks skew working class to straight-up poor (thus having very little exposure to each other in the workplace and at school). Plus, in NYC, many professional black men have left for down south (and this class is traditionally most involved with IR relationships within the black ethnic group).

I've seen the most IR action in Rhode Island.

Last edited by MemoryMaker; 03-27-2019 at 05:00 PM..

Old 03-28-2019, 06:51 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
I am a white woman and I was married to a black man who is the father of my children. We are divorced now and I'm married to a white man, but my kids are biracial.

We have lived in the south most of our lives.

All except one of my kids identifies as biracial (one daughter identifies as African American). My oldest daughter is married to the whitest guy I've ever known - from Iowa - LOL. The daughter who identifies as AA is married to a Latino guy - he's Puerto Rican and Panamanian and from the Boston area. My oldest son is married to a Korean woman. My youngest son is dating a woman from Brazil who is basically a white Latino (I understand that Brazilians can be a very mixed bag, hence the clarification).

For the record it doesn't matter to me what color their mates' skin tones are. But without exception, they have all dated basically whoever they wanted to date. I mean, back in jr high -before they could even officially DATE anyone, they may have had an issue or two, but by high school that had all leveled out and they were dating whoever - a rainbow of skin tones walked in and out of my house over the years!

We lived in Texas that for all of their jr high and high school years and in fact I still live in Texas and so do several of my kids. The other two are military families and have lived all over the place.

Maybe it helps that Texas is just a very diverse state anyway, I don't know. Just reporting my experiences. My husband, who like I said is a white guy, didn't have much of an issue at all with my kids' mixed race. In fact, his only issue was one of mild surprise when we first met but he moved past that in, oh, five minutes or less.

Both of us grew up post Civil Rights era and have traveled a lot over our lifetimes, to many different countries, not just states (but those too). I do think that has also created more of an open mind with both of us, and with our kids as well (his son and my kids get along great - in fact, his son and my youngest son are coming up from Austin in a few days to spend a couple of days with us). All our kids were adults when we met. Oh, and my parents were a military couple and absolutely would not tolerate a smidgen of racism in our house when I was growing up. In fact, the very first time I remember getting in trouble was when I called my brother the N word - I had no idea what it even meant but I'd heard it somewhere. Next thing I knew my dad was up in my face and shaking me by the shoulders and telling me very firmly that if he ever heard that word on my lips again he'd tear me up!

Old 03-28-2019, 08:02 AM

6,830 posts, read 3,220,586 times
It seems that commercials that feature a couple, all seem to be interracial now. I think this a fairly new phenomenon. Also same sex couples.

Old 03-28-2019, 09:21 AM

2,543 posts, read 2,866,901 times
My neighborhood of Long Island City, Queens may be the capital (if not, then one of most prominent locations) of white/asian interracial marriages in the USA.

In general interracial marriages are very common in this neighborhood.

Old 03-28-2019, 10:29 AM

2,272 posts, read 2,221,929 times
Yes, we are long past the days of Loving vs. Virginia. This has been the new norm for a very long time now.

Be with whoever you wanna be with

Old 03-28-2019, 11:16 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,600,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post
Wow, I'm surprised you had that experience.

I've seen a good amount of black men with white woman in NYC. However, the most common IR combo that I see involving black men is them with Latinas.

The three most common IR combos that I've noticed in NYC are:
- White man/Asian woman
- Black man/Latin woman
- White man/Black man (same sex)

When I lived out on Long Island (Suffolk), I saw a lot of black men with white women. This is perhaps b/c most blacks are Americanized and middle class out there thus more economically compatible with most whites. In NYC proper, most whites skew upper middle class while most blacks skew working class to straight-up poor (thus having very little exposure to each other in the workplace and at school). Plus, in NYC, many professional black men have left for down south (and this class is traditionally most involved with IR relationships within the black ethnic group).

I've seen the most IR action in Rhode Island.
I see a lot of white men with black women in the hipster parts of Brooklyn.

Old 03-29-2019, 09:26 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,755,978 times
I've grown up in the NYC area my whole life and I have always experienced inter-racial couples. I'm a white man who is married to another white man, but I have had prior relationships with Hispanic, Black, and Asian men (I got around in my youth LOL).

My mom is white and my step-father is Asian, and his cousin is also married to a white woman. One of my closest friends growing is a white woman married to a Salvadorian immigrant. My husband's 2 best friends are in interracial relationships (black men/white women). I will also say that in the LGBT community, I see ALOT of inter-racial relationships, and they are very common, more so than in the straight community. Also, in my professional life, the most common interracial relationship I see is white men with black women.

Old 03-30-2019, 08:23 AM

1,094 posts, read 809,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YesNo12345 View Post
I kind of figured the South would not have as many as in the West and Southwest considering it does not really have much diversity, pretty much only Blacks and Whites live there. I am not for or against interracial marriage (to each his own) but in my case, I just happened to connect with a girl who happens to be Hispanic and most of my friends (male and female) seem to be dating Hispanics or Asians. I guess California is the opposite of the South as there are not many Blacks here only 6% of the population so I don't see black/white combos as much here.
It's actually common in North Carolina at least from a Black and White perspective. I know so many kids I went to school with that were mixed and it's only getting more common by the day, and this is coming from someone who lives in a rural area.

Old 03-30-2019, 08:32 AM

1,094 posts, read 809,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevans1636 View Post
I am biracial and from NYC born and raised. In my experience interracial relationships and marriages between white women and black men are nonexistent. Like no where to be found. My father is white and my mother is black. I graduated form Harvard University and NYU Business School.

I was working at New York Life in Rego Park Queens and I honestly had no chance of finding love in NYC. I felt like I was wasting my time to even try to find love. After my late mother had passed away from cancer I had it. I waled in to my office at New York Life and explained I had to leave NYC. Every other agent at New York Life had a picture of their wife and kids but my desk was void of any wife or kids. In NYC every beautiful White woman I saw was a woman I couldn't have.

Leaving NYC was one of the best decisions I ever made. I have lived in Atlanta, Lansing-Michigan, Los Angeles-California, North Carolina, Houston, went to college in Boston. Every place and I mean every place I have lived has had a much a much higher of interracial marriage between White women and black men.

In my experience interracial marriage between black men and white women do not happen or so rare it is not worth talking about. I am not trying to be rough but that is my truthful experience.

In NYC white women are not interested in any black man at all. I am seeking to be truthful in sharing my experience.
Thats true since there's such a cultural gap/class gap between blacks and whites in NYC. There are a few neighborhoods were black and whites integrated but I seen wayy more Black and White interracial couples in NC than NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.